Chicken lollipop is an hot and spicy starter prepared from whole chicken wings shaped into lollipop/drumettes.Though I love the taste of this Chicken lollipop a lot,I don’t prefer eating it in restaurant, as it is deep fried and added MSG,popularly known as tasting powder,makes it very unhealthy.
Recipe Card for Baked Chicken Lollipop
A hot and spicy chicken wings shaped to lollipop is a perfect starter.
- 1/2 Kilo Chicken drummettes (10-12 Pieces)
- 4 Tbsp Curds
- 500 ml water
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Tbsp Garlic Paste or Garlic cloves 8 crushed
- 3/4 Tbsp Ginger Paste or 3/4 "inch Ginger crushed
- 1/2 Tsp Redchilly Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tbsp Cornflour
- 1 Tsp Riceflour
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Olive oil or any other oil
- 1 Tsp Oil
- 1 Onion Medium finely chopped
- 3/4 Tbsp Garlic Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp Red Chilli powder ,mixed with 1 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tsp Soya Sauce
- 1 Tsp White Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1/4 Tsp Salt or as required
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Leaves /celery chopped optional
Take 4 Tbsp of curds in a bowl,whisk well.Add water,turmeric powder ,salt 1 Tsp and prepare buttermilk.
Wash and clean chicken.Soak the chicken lollipop pieces in buttermilk for minimum 30 minutes or upto 4-5 hrs ,preferabbly in refrigerator .This step is necessary to tenderize the chicken.
After 30 minutes,remove chicken pieces from buttermilk and set aside.
Marinate the chicken with ginger paste, garlic paste,pepper powder,garam masala,red chilli powder and 1/4 Tsp salt ,mix well.
Add rice flour,corn flour to chicken and mix well,refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes/overnight.
Preheat the oven to 220 deg celsius ,grease the tray with oil.Place the marinade chicken over the tray.( Alternatively,You can even deep fry it. Heat oil and fry it over a medium high heat)
Cook in a grill and bake combination mode for 18-20 minutes.
Half the way,around 10 minutes ,remove the tray from oven and turn the chicken pieces to other side ,put it back into oven and continue to bake.
Whilst,Take a frying pan,add oil,add chopped onions,grated ginger,finely chopped garlic and fry till raw smell goes off.
Add red chilli paste (prepare by mixing 1 Tbsp water with 1/2 Tbsp red chilly powder),soya sauce,vinegar ,salt ,sugar and mix well.
Add 1/3 cup water and bring to boil and cook till it thickens like a sauce.
By now chicken would have baked,remove from the oven .
Add baked chicken to the above prepared sauce mix ,keep it in simmer for 5 minutes. Toss well so that chicken is completely coated with sauce.
Turn off the heat,garnish with coriander leaves wrap a aluminium foil and serve hot with schezwan sauce.
- Be careful while adding salt ,as you'll add salt to buttermilk and also to the seasoning.And also soya sauce contains salt.
- You can also deep fry this instead of grilling & Baking,always deep fry it on medium to high heat.
- If you don't have a combination cooking on your oven,bake it for 15 minutes and grill for last 5 minutes in the same temperature 220 deg celsius.
Step by Step Directions: