Vatana Methi Malai Masala Recipe | Dry Peas Fenugreek Gravy Recipe
- 1 Cup Dry Peas
- 4 Cups Fresh Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 No's Onions - chopped
- ½ Cup Tomato Puree
- 3 tablespoon Fresh Cream
- 1.5 teaspoon Red Chilly Powder
- 1 teaspoon Jeera Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- 4 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon Salt
For Masala Paste
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Paste - or 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Paste - or ½ " inch ginger
- 2 tablespoon Cashew Paste
- ½ tablespoon Poppy Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Melon Seeds - Optional
- Soak green peas for 6-8 hrs in hot water.
- Thoroughly wash and clean methi leaves,Sprinkle salt over it and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze out excess water ,pat it with kitchen napkin and set aside.
- Whilst pressure cook ,soaked dry green peas for 2 whistles.
- Prepare fine masala by grinding all ingredients under the list masala paste by adding little water.
- Blanch tomatoes ,peel the skin and make tomato puree.
- Heat oil in a Kadai,add methi leaves and fry till water dries up. Place fried methi leaves on a tissue paper.
- In the same kadai ,add jeera seeds and chopped onions,fry till brown.
- Add Tomato puree and all spice powders and cook till oil starts releasing from corners.
- Add above prepared masala paste and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add cooked ,peas and fried methi ,mix well.
- Add 1 cup milk ,add sugar and salt ,continue to cook on sim till it starts to thicken.
- Add fresh cream, Mix well. Turn off the heat.
- Serve with Phulka, Roti,Naana or any indian flat breads.
Step by Step Directions:
Thoroughly wash Methi leaves,soak in salt for 15 minutes, Squeeze excess water pat it dry and keep it aside.
Soak Dry green peas in water for 6 hours and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles(missed to take the pic) ,keep it aside.
Grind all the ingredients listed under masala to a smooth paste.
Blanch 2 tomatoes,peel skin and prepare puree .(I was preparing extra tomato puree,so pic shows 4 tomatoes)
In a pan heat ,4 tablespoon oil,add methi leaves and fry well. Remove fried methi leaves and place it on an tissue paper to drain out excess oil.
In the same pan,add jeera seeds ,once it starts to change colour add chopped onions and fry till brown.
For this add prepared tomato puree,garam masala ,red chilli powder and cook till oil starts releasing from corners. Now add above ground masala paste,to tomato gravy and cook for 5 minutes.
Now add cooked peas and fried methi,mix well and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
For this add milk and cook on low flame .Add salt and sugar,once gravy starts to thicken,switch of the heat and add fresh cream.
Mix well serve hot with, phulka ,tandoori roti ,naan or chapati.
Leave a Reply