Tandoori Chicken is one of the most popular , succulent , tender and juicy grilled chicken. Marinated Chicken leg pieces are grilled to perfection and served with mint chutney
Servings 2 People
- 400 grams Chicken - 2 thigh leg pieces
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 Tsp Mustard oil
- 3 tablespoon Hung Curds
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- ½ tablespoon Ginger Paste from 1 inch ginger
- 1 /2 Tbsp Garlic Paste or 6 garlic cloves crushed to paste
- ½ teaspoon Chaat Masala
- ½ tablespoon Tandoori Masala Powder refer notes
- 1 /2 tablespoon Kasuri Methi
- ½ tablespoon Mustard Oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt or as required
- ½ tablespoon Lime Juice , freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon Butter for basting
Wash ,clean and drain water completely from chicken pieces.
Using a sharp knife , score chicken pieces. This helps chicken marinate to de
Place chicken in a marination bowl . Add turmeric powder , Red chili powder and salt ,mustard oil and lime juice.
Rub the spices to chicken pieces and marinate for minimum 30 minutes to 60 minutes. Keep in refrigerator.
After 30 minutes , add hung curd, freshly pound ginger paste, freshly pound garlic paste , mustard oil , chilli powder , tandoori masala powder , salt , chaat masala and lemon juice.
With your hands in ,rub the marinade over the chicken pieces and inside the scored chicken
Cover and marinate chicken for good 6-12 hours or overnight in refrigerator.
For Stove Top Method
For cooking on stove top method : Heat 1 tablespoon oil/ butter in a non stick pan , place the chicken over it and cook on medium heat by flipping it once in between till done .
If you are using chicken thigh and leg pieces ,it takes around 30-45 minutes ,to get cooked on low to medium heat . If you are using small chicken pieces ,it cooks faster.
Once chicken is cooked perfectly ,put on fire directly for 10-15 seconds, by rotating continuously with help of tongs, to get that charred look.
For Oven ( Bake and Grill) Method :
Preheat the oven to 250 deg Celsius .
Grease the oven tray with some oil ( I had placed aluminium foil and greased with oil) ,arrange the chicken pieces and cook for 22 -25 minutes .
In between ,around 15 minutes, remove the tray from oven ,baste some oil flip the chicken pieces and put it back in oven to bake.
Once chicken is cooked perfectly , you can grill it for 3-5 minutes to get that charred look.
Serve it hot with lemon wedges , mint chutney and onion rings.
1.Cooking chicken on grill or Tandoor ,gives you the best flavour and texture. Next alternative is cooking in Oven.
2. Tandoori Masala Powder is a main key in this recipe , preferably freshly ground spices gives you the best taste. Alternatively, you can use store bought Tandoori Masala powder.