Kalakand is rich Milk based dessert,origin of Rajasthan.Traditional kalakand is quite lengthy as paneer needs to be done and also milk needs to be condensed. Quick versions of Kalakand is also done by using store bought paneer,sweet condensed Milk and cardamom.Milk being the main ingredient this is calcium rich sweet.And kids would love this sweet for its moist tiny granular texture with flavours of cardamom and pista.
Though the process is quite lengthy ,i’m posting the authentic Kalakand recipe.You can also prepare paneer a day before and prepare the sweet the next day ,just to ease out the procedure.If you are using store bought paneer just make sure ,it’s fresh.A rich Milk Cake for your Sweet Tooth.
Recipe Card For Kalakand| Indian Milk Cake
Author: Muktha Gopinath
Recipe Category: Dessert
Recipe Cuisine: India
Servings: 8 Pieces
Rich Milk Dessert – Kalakand
- Full Cream Milk/ Paneer : 1 liter/ 1 Cup
- Lemon Juice : 1/2 Tsp
- Full Cream Milk: 1/2 liter
- Sugar : 1/3 Cup
- Pistachios: 8 Sliced/chopped
- Almonds: 5 Sliced
- Cardamom/Elaichi Powder: 1/4 Tsp Powder
- Milk Masala : 1/2 Tsp (Optional)
- Ghee/ Clarified Butter:1/4 Tsp For Greasing
- Boil 1 Litre Full cream milk,once boiled add 1 Tsp of Lemon juice ,allow it to curdle.Wash with cold water,Strain whey water and extract paneer/Chenna and keep it aside.
- Take a thick bottom pan/non stick pan add 1/2 liter of milk and bring it to boil.Reduce heat and on a low flame keep stirring till it condenses to half and becomes thick.
- Add paneer to condensed milk stir continuously and cook till mixture thickens and looks grainy.
- Add Sugar and mix well ,cook till it reaches a barfi consistency.
- Add Cardamom powder and chopped nuts mix well.Turn Off heat.
- Pour the mixture on a prepared greased tin,and cut into pieces
Step -by-Step Details on Preparation:
1. Microwave / heat 1 liter milk,once it starts to boil add lemon juice and allow it to curdle.Then wash with cold water, strain the whey from it and extract the chenna/paneer out of it.
2.In a thick bottom pan/ nonstick pan,add 1/2 liter of milk and let it boil on a low flame.Keep stirring it occasionally so that it doesn’t stick to the pan till it reduces exactly to half of it and becomes thick.For this add paneer and stir it continuously.
3.Cook the mixture till it gets thick and looks grainy. Now add sugar,Cardamom powder to it and mix well.Till it gets the consistence of burfi and thickens.Now add finely chopped nuts and mix well.
4.Grease the plate with ghee and pour the mixture over it.Let it set.Once it is set ,garnish with some more finely chopped nuts and cut into pieces .
Kalakand is ready to serve 🙂
- You can use store bought paneer too,thaw paneer completely and blend it too smooth in that case.
- You can use condensed milk and milk powder along with paneer.But for authentic taste ,you need to use full cream milk.
- This has short shelf life for 4-5 days ,if refrigerated in a airtight container.