When it comes to eating peanuts,recent researches are very clear that they benefit our health. The fat,nutrients and fiber in peanuts are all healthy and are plant based.As peanuts are high in fat, it's always misunderstood for increasing the cholesterol level and body weight. But recent studies are very clear that it's good fat and protective nutrients helps in weight management,and can be beneficial in preventing diseases.
Gone are days ,avoiding high fight for weight management.....now mantra is eat fat to burn fat.Combining plant protein with cereals always helps for proper absorption of plant protein. When it's evident about peanuts benefits ,it's good to add in our diet in any of the form.Kick start your day by adding peanuts to your breakfast,be it a chutney for idli,dosa or a peanut butter and bread. It's always a perfect way to start your day with protein enriched peanut. Every home and the region they belong has their own recipes for preparing this Chutney,this is one of the version which is good to have with Akki Roti, Idli and Dosa.
You may be interested in few more chutney recipes like Spicy Peanut Chutney,Coconut Chutney,Pumpkin Chutney,Radish Chutney/Mooli Chutneyfrom my space.
Would like to highlight few of my posts on peanut like Congress Kadle Bijja/Masala Peanuts and Peanut Salad for your quick view.
Recipe Card For Peanut Chutney
Author: Muktha Gopinath
Protein Rich Peanut Chutney for your breakfast along with Idli/Dosa.
- Peanuts : 1 Cup
- Channa Dal/Split Chickpea Dal : 1 teaspoon
- Urad Dal/ Split BlackGram Dal : 1 teaspoon
- Green Chilly : 2-3 No's
- Garlic Cloves :4-5 Medium Size
- Peanut Oil/Edible Oil : 1 teaspoon
- Tamarind : ½ teaspoon, firmly pressed
- Salt : ¾ teaspoon or as required
- Edible Oil : 1 tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds : 1 teaspoon
- Jeera : 1 teaspoon
- Urad Dal : 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida : 1 Pinch
- Curry Leaves : 1 Sprig
- Red Chilly : 1-2 Broken
- Dry Roast or microwave Peanuts till skin starts to peel.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil on a tawa/griddle ,roast urad dal,channa dal ,green chilli and garlic cloves ,let it cool.
- Once it's cool,Transfer it into a chutney jar and blend to smooth paste by adding little water,about ⅓ to ½ cup.
- Temper all the ingredients under tempering in order , and pour it over the chutney
Step-By-Step Preparation Directions
1.Dry Roast peanuts on a medium heat till skin starts to peel or microwave Peanuts for 4-5 minutes.Take measures not to over roast and burn peanuts ,if done it tastes bitter.
2.Take a pan/or iron griddle,heat 1 teaspoon of oil,roast channa dal and urad dal,once it starts to change its colour ,add green chilli and garlic cloves.Once you see blisters on green chilly and garlic cloves,turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
3.Once it's cool completely,transfer into a chutney jar,add salt,tamarind and blend it .Then add little water,say about ⅓ to ½ cup and blend it to a smooth paste.
4.Heat 1 tablespoon oil in small temper pan, add mustard seeds once it crackles ,add jeera and urad dal. Add hing/asafoetida ,curry leaves and broken red chilly,pour it over the chutney.
You can serve this chutney with Idli,Dosa or Akki Roti/Rice Roti.It's also served with Chitranna in certain parts of karnataka.