Aloo Paratha is popular North Indian ,Punjabi wholesome breakfast. Boiled potatoes ,mixed with spices and then stuffed inside a roti and cook with oil/ghee till slightly crisp on outside. Well, Who doesn't like aloo paratha..... , I guess none, it's one of the most favorite Indian paratha of all time.
Though it's meant to have it in breakfast ,as it is heavy and keeps us energised for rest of the day,I don't mind eating this aloo paratha any time of the day because it's so very delicious.
This is one of The Best ,Aloo paratha i have ever ate. Wherever I eat Aloo Paratha , I always comment "I do better aloo paratha".Few other Paratha which I cook regularly are Mooli Paratha , Chinese Paratha , Gobi Paratha ,Paneer Paratha , Onion Paratha and Methi Paratha,few recipes are already shared ,rest i'll be posting it soon.
I served hot crisp aloo paratha with butter , Upsaaru khara and curds.
These days I have seen and heard people avoiding Paratha ,especially Aloo Paratha ,considering it to be fattening. But ,is it really so.....?No ,Its not at all.Potatoes are wrongly tagged has "fattening ",but the fact is ,it's not potatoes that are fattening ,but its the amount of oil you use along with potatoes to deep fry them,can make anyone fattening.
Potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, it's perfect to add boiled potatoes in one's breakfast.Hot crisp Aloo Paratha with dollop of butter ,homemade curds and pickles is what one needs to start their day with.For all those who are on a bland diet, Never say ,No to Paratha ......,right amount of fat(ghee/ clarified butter) ,fiber , complex carbohydrates and protein is all you need. It's a perfect breakfast when you have it along with homemade curds(protein). Eat Parathas , the way it should be Eaten,without skipping ghee and curds and stay healthy 🙂
Serving suggestions :serve it hot with white butter , curds and mango or lemon pickle.
Recipe Card for Aloo Paratha
Aloo Paratha Recipe | Easy Stuffed Aloo Paratha Recipe
For Paratha Dough
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ajwain /Carrom seeds
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Water as needed
For Potato Stuffing
- 250 grams Potato
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Jeera/Cumin seeds
- 1 inch Ginger - or 1 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 5 cloves Garlic - or 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1 no Green Chilly
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Amachur/dry mango powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt - or as required
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves - finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh mint leaves - finely chopped
- Ghee /Oil - for roasting paratha,as required
- In a wide bowl,add whole wheat flour,salt,ajwain ,oil and water as required and make a firm dough,keep it covered for 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook potatoes for 2-3 whistles ,peel potato skin and mash the potatoes and set aside.
- Prepare ginger,garlic and chilly paste in mortar and pestle.Chop onions,coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan,add jeera seeds,ginger garlic and chilli paste ,fry for a minute.
- Add chopped onions and fry well.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, ,coriander powder ,garam masala powder and amachur/dry mango powder.
- Add mashed potatoes,chopped greens and salt,mix well and turn off the heat.Allow it to cool completely
- Pinch a medium size ball dough,roll the dough and flatten it .Dust some flour and roll it in a circle of about 5 inch diameters.
- Place potato stuffing at the centre of the rolled dough ,from the edges bring the pleats to the centre .
- Press the pleats from the centre and roll the paratha into a circle of about 7-8 inches in diameter
- On a hot tava,place the rolled paratha ,drizzle some ghee ,flip and cook on both the sides.
- Serve hot with butter ,pickles and curds.
Step By Step Directions on making of Aloo Paratha:
1.Add pinch of salt and pressure cook potatoes ,for 2 whistles.
2.Take wheat wheat flour,add ½ teaspoon salt ,1 tablespoon oil,½ teaspoon ajwain/carom seeds and water.Knead a firm dough and keep it covered ,aside for 30 minutes.
3.Prepare ginger,garlic and green chilly paste.Finely chop onions and keep it aside.
4.By now pressure would have been released,peel potato skin ,mash the potatoes and set aside.
5.Heat oil in a pan,add jeera seeds,when it starts to changing colour,
Add ginger garlic green chilly paste ,finely chopped onions and fry well.
6.Add turmeric powder,red chilli powder,amachur powder ,garam masala.
7.Add mashed potato,salt ,fresh coriander leaves,mint leaves and cook for a minute.Allow it to cool completely.
8.Pinch a medium size dough ,roll and flatten it. Dust some flour and roll it in a circle of around 5" inches in a diameter.
8.Place the potato filling at the center ,take edges start pleating and bring it to the centre.
10.Press the pleats from centre,dust some flour and roll it to a size of around 7 to 8 inches in diameter.
- On a hot tava /iron griddle ,place the rolled paratha.When the base is partially cooked flip the paratha ,spread some ghee and cook the other side.Flip and cook on both sides.
13.Serve hot with butter ,ghee and pickle.