Chicken Ghee Roast masala recipe with step by step photos and video. A flavorful succulent spicy chicken cooked with basic spices, repeatedly sautéed in curds and topped with ghee for rich flavors. You will definitely love this recipe for its taste and its simplicity and ease of making with basic ingredients.
About this recipe
Chicken ghee roast recipe is basically from Mangalore, costal region of Karnataka. But this ghee roast recipe is not a authentic recipe from Mangalore households but its just a version , which shares the same name Chicken Ghee Roast Masala . This is a kind of restaurant style Chicken ghee roast , easy to make with most basic ingredients .
Unlike authentic Chicken Ghee roast recipe , this recipe doesn't require roasting of fresh spices nor pounding. This can be made easily with spice powders . Uniqueness of this recipe lies in repeatedly cooking chicken in curds .This way it enhances the flavors , making it more delicious.
How to cook chicken , soft and juicy ?
Cooking chicken plays a very important role while creating any dish. If you overcook chicken , it becomes very hard and chewy making entire dish a disaster. So its always recommended to cook chicken until juicy and tender. Firstly , make sure to cook chicken on medium-low heat . Secondly, when chicken starts to release its juices (water) , its like 50-60 % cooked , at this point you can add your spices or masala and further cook for 8-10 minutes and turn it off. Lastly , never cook chicken completely dry on high heat for longer , this makes chicken to turn hard and chewy.
Step by step directions
Heat oil and ghee in a pan, add curry leaves, slit green chilies and fry well. Add ginger paste , garlic paste and saute till raw smell goes off.
Add Onions and fry till translucent
Add turmeric powder , red chili powder , coriander powder and black pepper powder. saute for a minute.
Now add in washed chicken, salt and mix well .
Close the lid and cook chicken till almost done.
Divide 1 cup curds into ¼ cup each, add ¼ cup curds
and roast chicken well on high heat till curds get absorbed completely.
Repeat this for another 3 times . In last round of adding curds , don't let chicken to get completely dry instead let there be some water content left , for about 70 % .
Now , in a small pan, add ghee, curry leaves, cashews and fry well . Turn off stove, add crushed black pepper powder , pinch of salt , mix and lastly pour it over chicken.
Garnish with coriander leaves , mix well and serve as a side dish along with lemon wedges and onion.
Chicken Ghee Roast Masala
- 850-1000 grams Chicken Skinless curry cut pieces
- 1 Cup Curds
- 3 sprigs Curry Leaves
- 3 Green Chilly , Slit lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Paste or 6-8 garlic cloves crushed to paste
- 1 tablespoon Ginger paste or 1" ginger crushed to paste
- 1 Cup Onion, chopped or 2 medium size onions
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon Chilly powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Salt or as required
- 1 tablespoon Ghee /Clarified Butter
- 5 Sprig Curry leaves
- 8-10 Cashews
- ¼ teaspoon Salt or as required
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves Chopped
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan, add 3 sprigs curry leaves, slit green chilies , ginger paste and garlic paste .
- Add chopped onions and fry till onions turns translucent.
- Add coriander , chilly powder and 1 teaspoon black pepper powder and mix well.
- Add washed chicken, salt ,mix well and saute for 5 minutes ,till chicken colour changes.
- When chicken color starts to change, close lid and continue to cook chicken till almost done.
- Take 1 cup curds and divide into ¼ cup each, add ¼ cup curds to chicken and roast chicken well on high heat till curds get absorbed completely.
- Add another ¼ cup of curds and repeat the process of roasting chicken .
- Repeat this procedure of adding curds and cooking on high flame for 4 times ,till you finish all curds completely.
- Heat tadka / seasoning pan, add ghee, curry leaves, cashews fry well ,add crushed black pepper powder and pour it over chicken.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges and onion rings.
- Make sure to add curds once chicken is cooked.Keep flame high add curds and roast 4 times.
- 4th time when you add curds,mix well fry chicken and before it get dried ,Turn off the heat so that moisture remains and chicken will be still soft.
- Take care not to overcook chicken,or else it turns hard.
- Taste for this dish mainly comes from roasting chicken, 4 times with curds and also the final ghee tadka.
- You can completely dry this and can be served as starter also
This Chicken Ghee roast masala can be served as a side dish to pair with appam , dosa , neer dosa or Roti , Malabar Parotta . Also this goes well as a side dish with some simple dal , sambar or rasam with steamed rice.