Fresh Turmeric Pickle recipe with step by step photos and video.
Turmeric Pickle also called as Kachi Haldi ka Achar is quite popular in Gujarat , India. Making this pickle is quite easy as compared to making any other Indian Pickles. This is not a authentic Gujarati , Kachi Haldi ka Achar but it's similar .
Other Pickles recipe on blog are AmlaPickle ( Nellikai Uppinakayi) and Nellikai Thokku ( Amla Dry Pickle)
About the recipe
This Haldi Pickle is delicious with blending flavours of ginger roots and lime Juice. Fresh Turmeric Roots ,Ginger roots are cut into juliennes , mixed with lime juice , mustard oil , salt and chilli powder.
One of my cook book says , Authentic Gujarati Turmeric pickle is made with only turmeric roots, lime juice and salt. I adapted this recipe from Nisha Madhulika's Video and made changes to suit my taste. I must say , it's worth making this simple, easy pickle at home and stock up till next season.
Checkout the Video !
As summer is about to start my lunch will be having curd rice and I'll be pairing it with this pickle , Yum. Literally, I'm salivating right now 🙂 . Being a South Indian , its staple at home to have curd rice in our lunch .When it's summer , I end up my lunch always with some curd rice and pickle.
As mercury is reaping high outside , I have added rice kanji in my afternoon lunch along with this fresh turmeric pickle. No exageration here, coolness and lightness in your stomach can be felt instantly after ending your meals. And it has considerably improved my gut health.
So whoever want can try this rice kanji and pickle combination for a light summer lunch and notice the changes that it brings in your gut health.Pickles are good probiotics and always helps in improving your gut health. Hence eating pickle in everyday diet is beneficial.
Turmeric medicinal properties
Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant. It also helps in reducing the symptoms of Arthritis and Depression. And most common and known home remedy to fight flu , cough and cold.
But Unfortunately , Curcumin is poorly absorbed by the body . Consuming black pepper , which contains piperine, a natural substance along with Turmeric enhances the absorption of curcumin . Also curcumin is fat soluble, so making a pickle with oil is the idea behind along with improving the shelf life.
Come lets see on how to make this healthy turmeric pickle.
Step by Step directions on how to make Fresh Turmeric Pickle:
Clean , Wash and wipe Fresh Turmeric and Ginger roots dry.
Peel the skin of both ginger and turmeric roots.
Make ginger and turmeric juliennes or grate or cut into circles and set it aside.
Dry roast mustard and methi seeds, once it starts to pop . turn off the heat. Allow it to cool. You can also use ½ teaspoon of Black peppercorns here . Dry roast and blend to powder. Adding black peppercorns along with Turmeric enhances the absorption of curcumin .
Once cooled , transfer into a dry mixer jar and make powder of it.
Heat mustard oil in a pan , once it becomes hot . Turn off the flame/stove.
Add Hing/Asafoetida , red chilli powder ,mustard and methi seeds powder to hot oil.
Now add in fresh turmeric and ginger juliennes into the above oil.
Add ½ cup lime juice .
Now add in salt.
Mix well everything .
Store it in a sterilized glass jar.
Serve as an accompaniment along with food.
Tastes best when paired with curd rice. But can also be served with paratha, sambar and rice and also rasam rice.
Recipe Card for Fresh Turmeric Pickle
Fresh Turmeric Pickle
- 250 grams Fresh Turmeric or 2 cups Turmeric juliennes
- 50 grams Ginger or ½ cup Ginger juliennes
- ½ cup Lime Juice
- 1 tablespoon Mustard Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Methi seeds
- ½ cup Mustard Oil
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Hing/ Asafoetida
- 1 ½ tablespoon Crystal salt or as required
- Clean ,rinse and wipe Fresh Turmeric and Ginger roots dry.
- Peel the skin of both ginger and turmeric roots.
- Make ginger and turmeric, juliennes or grate or cut into circles and set it aside.
- Dry roast mustard and methi seeds, once it starts to pop , turn off the heat.Allow it to cool
- Once cooled , transfer into a dry mixer jar and make powder of it.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan , once it becomes hot . Turn off the flame/stove.
- Add Hing/Asafoetida , red chilli powder ,mustard and methi seeds powder to hot oil.
- Now add in fresh turmeric and ginger juliennes into the above oil.
- Add ½ cup lime juice and salt.
- Mix well everything and store it in a sterilized glass jar.
- Serve as an accompaniment ,condiment along with food.
- Make sure oil and lemon juice completely covers the juliennes orelse it may get spoilt soon.
- To avoid deep yellow stains in hands , use gloves.
- Also you can use big fat pinch of blackpepper powder in the recipe for complete absorption of nutrients .
Thanks for sharing this recipe
Welcome Sonal, I'm glad that you liked it 🙂
How long do you keep it in the jar before it’s ready to use?
Hi Neelesh , No need to keep this pickle for maturing as we do for other pickles . Just keep for 8- 12 hours before use for all flavours to get mixed.
Lemon juice is to be diluted or cconcentrate plz reply
Its freshly squeezed lime juice , not diluted.