Rice Kanji is a natural homemade probiotics made with rice ,water and homemade curds ( dahi ) . This is a good old traditional recipe passed from genertions to keep a healthy gut.
This homemade rice kanji is very simple to make and works well on digestive system by improving digestive enzymes.
About this recipe
Kanji tastes very similar to curd rice and tastes similar to curd rice. But the main difference with Rice kanji and regular curd rice is the fermentation of cooked rice.
To make rice kanji , soak cooked rice overnight in a clay pot. After 12 hours of fermentation , you can eat 2-3 tablespoon of rice as first thing in the morning . Further adding homemade curds ,even increases the good bacteria's.
But I make this rice kanji similar to curd rice. Soak cooked rice over night in little water. Following day either mash in hand or blend fermented rice in a mixer . To this add home made curds and finally add tempering .
A delicious bowl of homemade , natural probiotics will be ready within 5 minutes. Without shelling out hundreds to thousands of money on store brought probiotics.
Indian traditional and ancestral knowledge on food science says lot about health . With varieties of spices , herbs and techniques used for cooking , has lot to deliever to maintain a good health.
As I am from Mysore , South India , my knowledge about food is more inclined towards with South Indian food. At home we traditionally follow few healthy food eating habits and practices from our ancestors to mainatian a healthy lifestyle. One such practice followed from years is eating Rice Kanji .
This rice kanji recipe was followed by my maternal grand mother. She always used to soak cooked rice in clay pots. And on the following day , she used to mash rice well with hands , add curds , onions and served this for breakfast .
Even today I prefer to eat only this if I feel discomfort on stomach. Also on any hot day , my lunch will be simple with a bowl of Rice Kanji , pickle and some stir fry veggies.
Recently , I had put one of my client on a colon cleanse diet . With advise to eat lots of probiotics, fiber rich and gluten free food .
So made this post on how to make Rice kanji at home , an inexpensive natural homemade probiotics.
What are Probiotics and why is it important ?
Probiotics are foods that contain healthy bacteria . These bacteria's are live microorganisms that helps in promoting a healthy digestive tract and a healthy immune system.
Many problems like indigestion , bloating , leaky guts and poor immune system is because of poor gut health. It occurs when the ratio of bad microorganisms overpowers the good microorganisms in the human body.
In the digestive tract , bad bacteria's are fed with refined carbohydrates . While the prebiotics, feed the good bacterias and thus help in balancing a good gut microflora.
This process makes vitamins and minerals much more bioavailable in the body. Hence adding probiotics to diet is very important. If interested, read more about probiotics here.
Step by Step directions to make Rice Kanji
Soak ½ cup cooked rice in ½ cup water in a clay pot for about 10-12 hours or overnight.
Next day , transfer fermented rice to a blender , add salt to taste and blend to smooth paste.
Transfer blended rice into a mixing bowl.
Whisk ¼ cup of homemade curds and add to rice paste , stir well. Preferably add slightly sour curds as it tastes more good. Stir well and keep aside .
In a season pan / tadka pan , heat coconut oil . Add mustard seeds , jeera seeds , urad dal , chopped curry leaves , choppeds green chillies and fry well.
Add chopped onions and fry till it turns light brown .Turn off the stove
Now add in grated ginger , hing and mix well.
Pour temper over the prepared rice kanji.
Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves . Tempering is purely optional and it enances the taste .
Rice Kanji | Homemade Probiotics
- ½ cup cooked Rice
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup curds , homemade
- ¾ teaspoon salt or as required
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves , chopped
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon jeera / cumin Seeds
- ½ teaspoon urad dal / split black gram
- 1 teaspoon curry leaves ,finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon green chilies , chopped
- 4 tablespoon onion ,finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger , grated
- ½ teaspoon Asafoetida / Hing
- Soak ½ cup cooked rice in ½ cup water in a clay pot for about 10-12 hours or overnight.
- Next day , transfer fermented rice to a blender and blend to smooth paste.
- Transfer blended rice into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk ¼ cup of homemade curds and add to rice paste and stir well. Preferably add slightly sour curds as it tastes more good.
- Now add salt to taste and mix well.
- In a season pan / tadka pan , heat coconut oil , add mustard seeds ,jeera seeds , urad dal , chopped curry leaves , choppeds green chillies and fry well.
- Add chopped onions and fry till it turns light brown .Turn off the stove
- Now add in grated ginger , hing and mix well.
- Pour temper over the prepared rice kanji.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.
- Clay pot is used for fermentation , as science says it provides micro-oxygenation, including enzymatic reactions for producing unique flavors. If you don't have clay pot , you can use steel or glass vessel but clay pot is recommended.
- Fermented rice needs to be mashed well , you can either squeeze with clean hands or use fork or blend in a mixer.
- Use slightly sour curds , it adds more taste to rice kanji.
- Tempering with coconut oil adds lots of flavor and tastes really good.
- You can use any type of cooked rice , best way to use left out rice.