For all those who doesn't know what Hummus is....,it's basically a dip /spread made from chickpeas.Its origin is from middle east, it's a very popular dip. Chickpeas ,Tahini,olive oil and garlic are the basic ingredients of Hummus and it's a very healthy dip.
No Tahini is used in this recipe,as it may not be available in many of our Kitchen. Recipe shred here ,uses white sesame seeds in place of tahini. This is one of the delicious,easy to make healthy dip used in Shawarma rolls , served with pita bread and also with some steamed veggies. Hummus can even be spread on some whole wheat breads while making cold sandwiches to make it more healthier.
Chickpea is rich in protein but it is incomplete protein so to make it a complete protein ,it is served with pita bread .Plant based protein are always incomplete protein ,so is the idea of serving legumes/lentils based dishes with cereals ,so that the missing amino acids (protein) from legumes/lentils will be combined with that of cereals amino acids to make it a complete protein and vice versa.
So always it's recommended to eat the food that way it is supposed to be eaten ,be it a Dal Chawal , Idly ,Dosa ,Dal Roti.These day I have seen my own friends eating plain /boiled lentils,legume salads avoiding roti and chawal ....,for losing weight . But ,it such a irony that it can never happen,eating well balanced nutritious food is what one needs to keep a healthy and fit body.
Hummus is one such healthy dip ,that can be added to your weight loss regime.For all my friends ,who reaches me out for a diet plan ,here is simple recipe which can be beneficial for you.
Recipe Card for Hummus
Easy Hummus Recipe
Measurement Size 1 Cup =200 ml
- ¾ cup Chickpeas
- 3 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- 4 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Finely Chopped Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Pepper Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves or cilantro
- ½ teaspoon Chilli powder for garnishing
- 1 pinch Baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt or as required
- Soak chickpeas for 8-9 hrs or overnight,rinse well,drain water and keep it aside.
- Pressure cook chickpeas with ½ teaspoon salt ,1.5 cup water and pinch of baking soda,for 2-3 whistles. Once pressure releases on its own ,drain water and keep it aside.
- Dry roast sesame seeds until it crackles and allow it to cool.
- In a mixer grinder or a food processor,blend sesame to fine powder.
- Into the same mixer or processor cooked chickpeas,lemon juice,olive oil,cumin powder,garlic,pepper powder,chilly powder ,coriander leaves and salt .
- Blend to a smooth paste,use 2-3 tablespoon of drained water from cooked chickpeas to blend.Taste and adjust add lemon juice or salt ,if required.
- Garnish with chilli powder,drizzle some olive oil and serve with steamed veggies or pita bread.
- Chickpeas should be really cooked well,you should be able to mash it between your fingers.
- Be careful while adding salt,as cooked chickpeas already contains salt.
- It may become difficult to blend chickpeas,so add very little water and blend.
Step By Step Directions on making of Hummus :
Soak half cup Dry Chickpeas in water for 8-9 hrs or overnight.Wash well,drain water completely and keep it aside.
Pressure cook Chickpeas ,add pinch of baking soda,½ teaspoon salt , 1.5 cups water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles,till chickpeas are very well cooked,should get mashed when pressed between your fingers.Drain water and keep it aside.
Heat a iron griddle,dry roast sesame seeds on medium heat until it starts crackling.Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
In a mixer grinder ,add roasted sesame seeds and grind to a fine powder.
Into the same jar, add cooked chickpeas ,chopped garlic,olive oil,cumin powder,coriander leaves ,lemon juice,salt and blend to a semi-fine paste.(You can add 2-3 tablespoon of drained water while grinding )
Garnish Hummus with pinch of chilli powder,drizzle olive oil and serve.
Hummus can be served with pita bread or steamed veggies like carrot sticks ,cauliflower ,broccoli florets.