Kesar Badam Milk is a delicious Indian Beverage made with saffron and almonds. Its a delicious and nutritious drink that you can sip on and get lost with its flavours.
Badam milk can be served either hot or chilled , but I personally like cold badam milk. This is easy to make and can serve your family and friends during gatherings and festivals.
About this recipe
Kesar Badam Milk is a delciious sweetened drink made with milk, almonds , saffron , cardamom and rose petals .
Best thing about this badam milk is it's flavours . I can describe this as a lightly sweetened , aromatic and flavorful milk .
It's so tasty that even milk haters will fall in love with this chilled badam milk . And one will never get to know that they are drinking a glass of milk.
During winters you can drink a hot cup of badam milk to keep you warm from within . Having almonds when soaked for just 30 minutes or less , will keep you warm from within , it produces heat in the body .
Where as when you soak almonds for longer periods for 12 hours or more , it has a cooling effect on the body .
You can chill and serve badam sweetened milk on summer also. So according to season , prepare badam milk and devour .
You get Kesar Badam milk powder readily available in stores but believe me once you taste this delicious badam milk at home , I bet you will never turn back to those readymade instant Kesar Badam Milk Powder .
You must try this Kesar Badam Milk recipe as it is
- Simple to make
- Better than any store bought
- Tasty and flavourful
To make this delicious and tasty Indian sweetened beverage , you need few basic ingredients from kitchen pantry .
Whole Milk - I always prefer to use full fat whole cow's milk to make this drink as it add lot od richness and creminess to kesar badam milk . Having said so , you can even use skimmed milk , it tastes delcioius even with less fat too. For vegans , I straight away recommend to use Almond milk as a substitue to cow's milk here.
Almonds - This ingredient is the hero of this recipe . Use premium qulaity almonds to make this beverage.
Saffron - There is no fun without kesar ( saffron ) in fesar badam doodh. It gives light golden colour to the milk and the flavors it imparts is exceptional. Nothing can bring those fragrance and flavours of saffron strands in this milk.
Sugar - I use white crystal sugar here . You can use any sweetener as your preference.
Green Cardamom - Nothing can replace the aroma of freshly pound green cardamom.
Optional Add On's
Rose petals - You can either use 1 tbsp Dry Rose Petals or few drops of rose water to make Kesar badam milk.
Nuts - Add some finely crushed or sliced nuts of your choice. I prefer to add pistachios and cashews . Fell free to use whichever is available and according to your likings.
How to make Kesar Badam Milk
Soak almonds in 1 cup of hot water for about 20 minutes.
Soak 20 saffron strands in ¼ cup of warm milk and set aside for 20 minutes.
Peel almond skin and transfer it into a mixer jar / blender.
Add ¼ cup of milk to blender , 3-4 saffron strands (optional) .
Blend to a very fine paste.
Bring 3.5 cups of milk to boil .
Add almond paste and stir well.
Keep on low flame and stir milk till raw smell of almonds completely goes off. This takes for about 15 minutes. Keep stirring milk in between to avoid scorching of milk from bottom.
Add saffron soaked milk and stir well , boil for 5 minutes on a medium heat.
Add ¼ cup of sugar and stir well , till it dissolves for about 5 minutes.
Turn off the stove . Add freshly crushed cardamom powder from mortar and pestle.
Also add dry rose petal and stir well.
Garnish with slivered pista and almonds. Kesar Badam Milk can be served either hot or cold.
Kesar Badam Milk Recipe
- 4 cups Whole Milk , full fat
- 30 Almonds
- 20 -25 Saffron strands
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 5 pods Green Cardamom ,remove husk and powder
- 1 tablespoon Dry Rose Petals , optional , - refer notes
- 1 cup Water to soak almonds
- 1 teaspoon Pistachios , slivered for garnish
- Soak almonds in 1 cup of hot water for about 20 minutes.
- Soak 20-25 saffron strands in ¼ cup of warm milk and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Peel almond skin and transfer it into a mixer jar / blender.
- Add ¼ cup of milk to blender , 3-4 saffron strands and blend to a very fine paste.
- Bring milk to boil , add almond paste and stir well.
- Keep on low flame and stir milk till raw smell of almonds completely goes off. This takes for about 20 - 25 minutes. Keep stirring milk in between to avoid scorching of milk from bottom.
- Add saffron soaked milk and stir well , boil for 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add ¼ cup of sugar and stir well , till it dissolves.
- Turn off the stove . Add freshly crushed cardamom powder from mortar and pestle.
- Also add dry rose petal and stir well.
- Garnish with slivered pista ,almonds and dry rose petals.`
- Kesar Badam Milk can be served either hot or cold.
- 3.5 cups of milk is used to boil , ¼ cup of milk to blend almonds and ¼ cup of milk to soak almonds. All together its 4 cups of full fat whole milk is used in this recipe.
- You can either use dry rose petals or 1-2 tablespoon of rose water .
- Garnish with nuts , saffron strands and dry rose petals before serving.