Spicy Drumstick Green Curry is a most popular curry from Karnataka , around Bangalore Mysore region. This curry is a vegetarian version of a famous non vegetarian curry but with less spices and slight modifications. Like most of South Indian curries , fresh coconut is used to make this curry . If you don't get fresh coconut then you can soak dry coconut either in warm water or warm milk and use accordingly . Though there will be slight change in taste , you can still enjoy the similar taste.
Drumstick sambar with pearl onions is one of the most loved sambar among most of us. But believe me ,once after you try this curry undoubtedly it becomes your next favourite Drumstick Curry . Unlike regular sambar , the spices used here are entirely different with less procedure for cooking. Other Drumstick recipes which I usually prepare at home are Drumstick Masala Fry , Drumstick Rasam and Drumstick Sambar .
Health Benefits : Both Drumsticks and their leaves are very rich in Calcium and Iron. Drumstick Leaves also known as Moringa Leaves are one of the superfood throughout the world. It is rich in B Vitamins , folic acid and also calcium . Hence it is given to pregnant women and also lactating mothers. It strengthens the bone and keeps the digestive system in check. Also adding this superfood in regular diet helps to lower blood sugar levels and promote heart health .
RECIPE CARD FOR SPICY DRUMSTICK GREEN CURRY:
Spicy Drumstick Green Curry
- 500 grams Drumsticks
- 1 no Onion medium size finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mint leaves , chopped
- 2 tablespoon Cooking Oil or Ghee /Clarified Butter
- 1-2 no Green Cardamom, optional
- 2 cups Water
- Salt as required
For Masala Paste
- ⅓ cup Fresh Coconut
- 1 no Onion
- 6 no's Garlic Cloves Medium size
- 1 inch Ginger
- 4 no's Green Chillies
- 4 tablespoon Coriander Leaves
- 1 no Tomato
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Jeera Seeds / Cumin Seeds
- 2-3 no Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 teaspoon Black peppercorns
- 1 no Green Cardamom pod
- Add all the ingredients under Masala Paste into a mixer jar and blend into a smooth paste by adding very little water.
- In a pressure cooker or deep pot , heat ghee/clarified butter ,oil , add cardamom pods , chopped mint leaves and chopped onions fry till onions turns translucent.
- When Onions turns translucent ,add blended masala paste.
- Sautee for 6-8 minutes , till raw smell of masala goes off and specks of oil is seen.
- Now add in cleaned drumsticks and mix well and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add mixer/blender rinsed water about ½-3/4 cup.
- Once it comes to bubble , add another 1 ½ cup of water .
- Add salt to taste as required.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle and immediately release the pressure manually. Alternatively you can cook in a deep vessel/pot and cover with a lid till drumsticks are cooked.
- Open the lid , stir well and serve hot with ragi Mudde or Steamed Rice.
- If you don't have Fresh coconut ,soak dry coconut in warm water or warm milk and use it as required.
- You can even add ½ tablespoon of poppy seeds and 1 tablespoon of roasted bengal gram while grinding masala paste , it helps to thicken the curry .
Step by step directions for making Spicy Drumstick Green Curry:
Add fresh coconut , green chillies, ginger , garlic ,coriander leaves , tomatoes and spices into a mixer jar.
Blend into a smooth paste by adding very little water.
In a pressure cooker or deep vessel/pot , heat ghee/clarified butter ,oil .( 2 tablespoon Oil or 1 tablespoon Ghee and 1 tablespoon Oil)
Add chopped onions, chopped mint leaves and fry onions till it turns translucent.
When Onions turns translucent ,add blended masala paste.
Sautee for 6-8 minutes , till raw smell of masala goes off and specks of oil is seen.
Now add in cleaned drumsticks .
Mix well and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
Add mixer/blender rinsed water about ½-3/4 cup.
Once it comes to bubble , add another 1 ½ cup of water .
Add salt to taste about 1- 11/2 teaspoon or as required.
Pressure cook for 1 whistle and immediately release the pressure manually. Alternatively you can cook in a deep vessel/pot and cover with a lid till drumsticks are cooked.
Open the lid , stir well and serve hot
Serve hot with Ragi Mudde or Steamed Rice.