Sweet Potato Halwa | Shakarkandi Halwa recipe with step by step photos and video. Shakarkandi Halwa is a delicious sweet made with boiled sweet potatoes , milk and flavoured with cardamom , saffron and nutmeg. Sweet potatoes are known as Shakarkand in Hindi hence It is called shakarkandi ka halwa.
About this recipe
Shakarkandi halwa is a quick and easy dessert , that is usually prepared during fasting. Because it is full of energy and keeps you satiated for long. Needless to mention , its not only limited to fasting but you can also prepare it for any festive occasion or anytime when ever you crave to eat any sweet which is healthy too.
Also like any other sheera , you can also serve this shakarkandi halwa for breakfast .As mornings are right time to enjoy any sweet delicacy with out worrying on calories intake.
What makes this halwa healthy compared to other sweet halwa ? Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet in taste hence the amount of sugar added here is very less. Also this halwa recipe is a great way to include this nutritious and fibrous rich veggie in diet.
The procedure to make sweet potato halwa recipe is very easy. The only monitoring part is stirring halwa continuously from start to finish.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes are sweet, starchy root vegetables . They come in a variety of colours and sizes like orange, white, and purple. All varities are rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber but vary in their sweetness levels. 1 cup of boiled sweet potatoes provides 180 calories.
- Sweet potatoes are incredibly rich in beta-carotene, which is converted into Vitamin A in our body . These antioxidants prevent vision loss and improve eye health. Also its always advisible to cook sweet potatoes in little fat , so that its nutrients are well absorbed in the body.
- Promotes Gut health - sweet potatoes contain both soluble and insoluble fibers and antioxidants that promote the growth of good gut.
How to add sweet potatoes in diet ?
Sweet potatoes are very easy to add in diet. They can be enjoyed with or without the skin and can be baked, boiled, roasted, fried, steamed, or pan-cooked. Natural sweetness of Sweet potatoes pairs well with both savory and sweet dishes. Also it goeas well with many different seasonings, hence you can go creative and add in your diet.
Some popular ways to enjoy sweet potatoes include: Sweet potato chaat , paratha , Sweet potato puran poli , salad , chips , kheer and sabji .
Pro tips and Variations to make Sweet Potato Halwa
- Sweet Potato : Indian Sweet potato with white flesh works best in this recipe . But you can also use Orange Sweet Potatoes , but you may need to increasse the sweetness as orange sweet potatoes are less sweet.
- You can either use grated sweet potatoes or boiled sweet potatoes in this recipe. I prefer boiled sweet potatoes over grated ones in this recipe.
- Dairy : Milk is used in this recipe , as it gives a more smooth and finer texture to halwa. You may skip dairy or for vegan option you can use any nut milk in this recipe. But I recommend using milk for a smooth texture and melt in mouth feel.
- Flavouring : Saffron , cardamom and Nutmeg are used in this recipe. Saffron adds hint of flavour and nice tinge to sweet potato halwa with milk . Though you can skip nutmeg if not available, freshly powdered cardamom adds lots of flavor to halwa.
- Fat : Ghee / Clarified butter goes very well in this recipe, If looking for vegan option you can use any flavourless vegetable oil . Also fat medium is very important to absorb nutrients from sweet potato.
- Sweetner : I have added 2 tablespoon of sugar to this , if you want you can replace sugar with powdered jaggery. I personally like taste of sugar with sweet potatoes than jaggery . You can use either of two. Also adjust sweetner depending on taste of sweet potatoes.
- Dry Fruits and Nuts : I prefer to add only chopped nuts like almonds, cashews and pistachios in this recipe but you can also add raisins , if you wish.
Watch recipe video
Step by step directions
Crush 3-4 strands of saffron and soak in ¼ cup milk, set aside till use.
Boil sweet potato in a pressure cooker (2-3 whistles) or Instant pot (manual 12 minutes).
When pressure settles down, remove sweet potato, peel skin.
Mash flesh of boiled sweet potatoes till smooth.
Heat 2-3tablespoon of ghee in a pan on medium heat.
Once hot add mashed sweet potatoes.
Mix and cook with stirring constantly until moistures evaporates completely and becomes slightly thick.
Now add saffron soaked milk.
Mix and cook with stirring continuously.
Cook on a medium heat until all the moisture evaporates.
It starts to thicken and leaves the sides of the pan.
Then add sugar, cardamom powder, pinch of nutmeg and chopped nuts.
Mix well until sugar melts completely. Turn off the stove.
Garnish with sliced nuts, dry rose petals and serve warm.
Sweet Potato Halwa
- 500 grams Sweet potatoes or 2 cups sweet potatoes boiled - peeled and mashed
- 4 strands Saffron crushed
- ¼ cup milk
- 2.5 tablespoon Ghee/ Clarified Butter
- 2 tablespoon Sugar - or as required
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 2 tablespoon of Nuts - chopped
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Crush 3-4 strands of saffron and soak in ¼ cup milk, set aside till use.
- Boil sweet potato in a pressure cooker (2-3 whistles) or Instant pot (manual 12 minutes).
- When pressure settles down, remove sweet potato, peel skin.
- Mash flesh of boiled sweet potatoes till smooth.
- Heat 2-3tablespoon of ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mashed sweet potatoes.
- Mix and cook with stirring constantly until moistures evaporates completely and becomes slightly thick.
- Now add saffron soaked milk.
- Mix and cook with stirring continuously.
- Cook on a medium heat until all the moisture evaporates.
- It starts to thicken and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Then add sugar, cardamom powder, pinch of nutmeg and chopped nuts.
- Mix well until sugar melts completely.Turn off the stove.
- Garnish with sliced nuts, dry rose petals and serve warm.