Thandai is a refreshing summer beverage ; it's quick , easy to make and tastes super delcioius. To make this recipe , I have used Homemade Thandai Masala powder which is an excellent premix , better than any store brought.
Traditionally, Thandai is made by soaking spices and nuts in water overnight, ground to fine paste, mixed with milk , filtered , chilled and then served.
My version of Instant Thandai is made by using Thandai Masala Powder. Rather than just mixing with milk , here tanadai masala is soaked in warm water / milk , blend to fine paste and then mixed with milk .
About this recipe
What makes this drink so refreshing is the aromatic flavours from nuts along with lashings of cardamom, rose petals and saffron . Also the mellow hit of spice and sweetness from black pepper and fennel seeds , never lets you down from drinking this delicious cooling beverage .
Adding Bhang (cannabis leaves) to drink is the most common practice that is witnessed during Maha shivaratri and Holi festivals.
But with my version of Instant thandai , no Bhang is added. Prepare thandai a day before , chill it in refrigerator and then serve the next day. As it tastes more good when served chilled , that is how it need to be served.
Try to use whole fat milk while making this beverage as it tastes extremely delicious. You can also make a Frozen Dessert version of this recipe Thandai Kulfi
If doing Instant Thandai from Homemade Thandai Masala Powder , all you need is just Milk, Sugar and Thandai Premix
Whole Milk : Full fat whole milk makes this drink super delicious . But you use low fat milk also to make this instant drink. Few even add ice cubes into milk while serving , while doing so if low fat milk is used the its dilute and you may not get the actual taste.
Thandai Masala Powder : Here I have used homemade instant Thandai Masala powder , its an unsweetened Masala Powder. You can use store bought premix too. But check if its sweetened or unsweetned before using it in the recipe.
Sugar : Use as required , depending on your taste. If using sweetened Thandai masala powder , then you may need to add less sugar to the drink.
Rose Water or Rose essence : Though its optional , it's highly recommended to add ½ teaspoon of rose water while serving to get the aromatic and refreshing taste.
Step by Step directions to make Thandai
Soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
Whilst, in a saucepan boil 500ml of full fat whole milk .
Transfer the soaked thandai masala into a mixer jar
and blend to a smooth paste.
Now add this ground paste into 500 ml of boiled milk along with sugar.
Stir milk continuously and boil on a very low heat for 5 minutes.
Turn off the stove , remove the sauce pan and set aside for 10-15 minutes for flavours to steep in.
Now strain milk , and store thandai in a pitcher/ jar and refrigerate.
Serve chilled Thandai , garnished with rose petals, saffron strands, slivered nuts and few drops of rose water.
This post has been updated from the archives, was first published in March 2019
- ¼ cup Thandai Masala Powder
- 500 ml Whole fat milk , boiled
- 2.5 tablespoon Sugar or as needed
- 1 tablespoon Slivered nuts
- ¼ teaspoon Dry Rose Petals or Fresh
- Saffron strands few
- Rose Water , few drops ,optional
- Soak ¼ cup of Thandai masala powder in ¼ cup of warm water or milk for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whilst, in a saucepan boil 500ml of full fat whole milk .
- After 20 minutes, transfer the soaked thandai masala into a mixer jar and blend to a smooth paste.
- Now add this ground paste into 500 ml of boiled milk along with sugar.
- Stir milk continuously and boil on a very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the stove , remove the sauce pan and set aside for 10-15 minutes for flavours to steep in.
- Now strain milk and store thandai in a pitcher/ jar and refrigerate.
- Serve chilled Thandai , garnished with rose petals, saffron strands, slivered nuts and few drops of rose water.