Whole wheat masala Buns are perfect tea time snack. I often bake these mild spiced fresh buns for evening snack. This is my kid’s favorite bun. As it’s globally said not to use refined flour, I hardly bake anything out of all purpose flour. So baking it in a healthy way to feed family is always my priority. That to after my Food and Nutrition Diploma, my concentration always circles around clean eating habits. So trying to do a bit by sharing my recipes and promoting to eat healthy through my blog.
Initially when I started baking,it was my dream,to bake good bread and buns . I have tried lot many times to bake a perfect bun , cookies and bread . Have no count on the amount of flour and butter that I have wasted to get those perfect buns and breads.After so many errors and trails ,lesson learnt was good Yeast helps to bake better bun and bread. If you want to try baking good bread then most key ingredient is your yeast, good yeast = good bread.
Now a days , I confidently bake whole wheat buns, breads and pav . I got good instant yeast from a online store and I’m a happy baker now 🙂 In Active Yeast ,a brand named black bird worked for me other than that none of the other yeast worked. But after finding instant yeast ,I don’t prefer to use Active Yeast. Main difference between active and instant yeast is that,active yeast should prove before using where as instant yeast can be used directly without waiting for yeast to prove.
This is a easy bun recipe for beginners. Its fool proof recipe even if you are a beginner , still you can nail baking this provided Yeast is of good quality.
Recipe card for Whole wheat Masala Bun
Whole Wheat Masala Bun
- 1 1/2 cup Whole wheat
- 1 Tsp Instant Yeast
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup Water
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Curds
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 No's Onion medium size finely chopped
- 1 No Green chilli finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Jeera/cumin seeds
- 1/2 Cup Grated carrot -optional
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves chopped
- 1 Tbsp Coriander leves chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp Mint leaves chopped
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp Milk for brushing
- 1 Tsp Butter for brushing
- In a bowl,Take instant yeast,sugar,oil,salt and yogurt.Add warm water and stir well.(If you are using active yeast,then allow it froth as you do in preparing pizza dough)
- For this add wheat flour and mix it using a spatula or spoon.
- Add butter, onion,carrot,greens ,jeera and turmeric powder
- Grease some oil on hands and Knead well the dough for 5 to 10 minutes . Alternatively ,You can even electric blender / processor for atta kneading.
- Cover the dough bowl with a cling film /or wet cloth and keep it in a warm place till dough double in size. (i always keep it in a oven with just light on without turning on the oven).
- It took 30 minutes for my dough to get double in size. It always depends on the quality of yeast and also environment temperature.
- Once the dough doubles in size,punch the dough to release air.
- Using grease hands ,knead again and pinch some dough and shape like buns.
- Grease the tray and place shaped buns on the tray. Brush some milk on top.
- Allow it for another 10-15 minutes,so that again it doubles in volume.
- Preheat the oven to 210 deg c.
- Once it doubles,bake it in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes till you get that nice golden color.
- Brush some butter on top of buns,allow to cool .
- Serve it warm or cold with a cup of tea.
Step By Step directions on making of Whole Wheat Masala Bun:
Mix well using a spoon as it will be very sticky. Grease some oil on hands and knead well for 8-10 minutes or alternatively use electric blender/ processor for kneading.
Cover the dough, Wrap the bowl either with a cling film or wet cloth and keep it in a warm place till the dough double in size.(I always keep it in a oven with just light on without turning on the oven). It took 30 minutes for my dough to get double
Once the dough doubles in size, stir the dough using a spoon, knead with greased hands. Grease the tray, Divide the dough into equal size buns,brush the top with milk and place it on the tray.
Allow it for another 10-15 minutes, so that again it doubles in volume.
Brush some butter on each buns to get a soft and aromatic buns, allow to cool. Serve bun with a cup of tea……………..!