Crispy and crunchy whole wheat butter biscuits are perfect with cup of tea and fits well into kids snack box too. Hardly needs 10 minutes for preparations !
Tea times gets better with these biscuits , its healthy , tasty and buttery . This easy to make whole wheat butter biscuits are simple to make with just handful ingredients from pantry.
I always try to avoid all purpose flour where ever it's possible , I'll swap APF with whole wheat flour. And this recipe is no exception . If you are in mood to bake some cookies then do try one of my favorite Ragi Almond Cookies , Crinkle Cookies and Peanut Butter cookies.
About this recipe
Whole wheat butter biscuits are tasty crunchy butter biscuits with or without extra nuts added to it. These delicious biscuits are simple to make with minimal ingredients from the kitchen pantry.
I used to do lot of baking few years before , but these days I have stopped it completely. Whether we use whole wheat or refined flour , along with it the amount of sugar and butter that gets into making goodies are my concern . Just trying to cultivate clean eating habits these days, so you may find very little posts on cookies and cakes categories.
But I make sure , whenever I bake cookies / biscuits / cakes , it should be really delicious. So this is one such recipe which is utterly delicious .
Many of us , use these terms cookies and biscuits synonymously . But difference between cookies and biscuits are Cookies are moist and chewy crumble texture with more ingredients . Whereas Biscuits are thin, crunchy and uses butter , flour and sugar has main ingredients.
These Whole wheat biscuits
Uses minimum ingredients
Healthy and fits well into kids snack box
Easy and simple to make
Tastes best along with Tea
Recipe can be easily scalable
To make biscuits , main ingredients are butter , flour and sugar . Salts are used as rising agents and any flavorings can be used.
Flour - I have used whole wheat flour , you can use all purpose flour also.
Sugar - I have used brown sugar here as a sweetener. You can use either white sugar or powdered jaggery in the recipe.
Butter - Softened but cold butter is used here. You can even use ghee / clarified butter which is in semi solid state. You can use either salted or unsalted butter. I have used unsalted butter hence added salt separately in the recipe. If you are adding salted butter then you can skip adding salt.
Cooking soda, Baking powder and Salt helps to raise and gives perfect texture to biscuits.
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) - Acetic acid with soda works well in baking goodies. If ACV is not available feel free to add 2 tablespoon of curds in the recipe.
Flavoring - Nutmeg and cardamom is what I used to flavor these biscuits. As an alternative you can use 2 drops of Vanilla essence to make this.
Refer recipe card for actual measurements.
Tips and Variations
You can make this recipe with all purpose flour also.
For variations, you can sprinkle add some chopped nuts or chocolate chips over the biscuits before baking.
Instead of butter , you can use ghee/clarified butter in this recipe.
Can play with flavors too, you can swap cardamom powder with 1-2 drops of vanilla essence.
What can I substitute for ACV ?
You can use curds as a substitute for ACV in this recipe . Use 2 tablespoon of curds , reduce the amount of milk by 2 tablespoon and follow the same recipe.
Can I use All purpose flour?
Of course , just swap wheat flour with APF. In this case you may need less milk. Just start by adding 2 tablespoon of milk and use extra if required to form dough.
Can I use jaggery instead of sugar ?
Yes, you can use . Just make sure jaggery is fine powdered and sieve it before using in the recipe.
What's the shelf -life of these biscuits?
Store these biscuits in a air tight jar, stays fresh up to 15 days.
You may also like
How to make whole wheat biscuits
In a mixing bowl, take wheat flour, add baking powder, pinch of cooking soda, nutmeg powder and cardamom powder. Mix well everything.
Add 100 grams of softened or chilled butter to the flour mixture and mix everything either with a blender (if using chilled butter) or hands.
It should be crumbly in texture and looks like bread crumbs.
In a mixer jar , blend ½ cup sugar to fine powder.
Now add powdered sugar, 1-2 tablespoon of Milk at a time and apple cider vinegar. Gather everything together; mix well to form dough.
Don’t knead the dough, just mixing to form a dough is sufficient
Cover the dough with a cling film and refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove dough from the refrigerator, open the cling film. Divide the dough into2- 3 parts.
On a working top , roll the dough into 0.50 cms thick
and with help of cookie cutter , cut into desired shapes.
Alternatively you can also make dough in a log shape and slice it into round discs. Place it on a cookie sheet in a baking tray and pierce with a fork .
Preheat the oven to 180 deg C and bake for 18-20 minutes, till the top looks golden colored. Each oven temperature will be different, so make sure to check the biscuits from 16 minutes onwards (refer notes).
Cool it on a wire rack , store in a airtight container.
Whole Wheat Butter Biscuits
- 1.5 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 100 grams Softened butter
- ½ cup brown sugar or regular sugar
- 4-5 tablespoon Milk
- ½ teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 pinch Salt
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cooking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg powder
- ½ teaspoon Green Cardamom Powder
- In a mixing bowl, take wheat flour, add baking powder, pinch of cooking soda, salt , nutmeg powder and cardamom powder. Mix well everything.
- Add 100 grams of softened chilled butter to the flour mixture and mix everything either with a blender (if using chilled butter) or hands.
- It should be crumbly in texture and looks like bread crumbs.
- Take ½ cup sugar in a blending jar and fine powder it.
- Now add powdered sugar, 2-3 tablespoon of milk and apple cider vinegar
- Gather everything together to form dough. If unable to form dough then just add 1 or 2 tablespoon extra milk to form dough.
- Cover dough with a cling film and refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove dough from the refrigerator, open the cling film. Divide the dough into 2-3 parts.
- On a working top , roll the dough into 0.50 cms thick disc and with help of cookie cutter , cut into desired shapes.
- Alternatively you can also make dough in a log shape and slice it into round discs.
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C and bake for 18-20 minutes, till the top looks cooked . Refer Notes *
- Each oven temperature will be different, so make sure to check the biscuits from 16 minutes onwards (refer notes).
- Cool it on a wire rack and store in a airtight container.
- As it's a whole wheat biscuits , adding ACV is essential . If not ACV , you can add 2-3 tablespoon of curds.
- Depending on the flour texture , it may take more or less milk , so start from adding 2 tablespoon of milk at a time.
- Butter should be chilled or just softened , Don't melt the butter
- Don't knead the dough , just mix everything together to form dough.
- Temperature varies from oven to oven , while baking do check for the doneness. When you touch the biscuits , it should be cooked on top and should very lightly be soft inside. Then remove from the oven and allow it to cool , it hardens once it cools down completely.
Very nice recipe.
Thanks Pranita 🙂
Nice Clicks Muktha ,I'll try it soon
Thanks Manju , try this and let me know,how it turned
Wow Muktha, Easy to prepare and tasty too!
Good Madhu , Hope You'll like 🙂