Aliv Makhana Smoothie recipe with step by step images and video . Smoothies are great way to start the day in a healthy way. Aliv Makhana Smoothie is a nutritious superfood bowl with creamy , earthen taste with a hint of cardamom and coconut flavors.
Other healthy breakfast smoothies recipe which I often do at home are Ragi Banana Smoothie , Oats Peanut butter smoothie , Papaya Oats Milk shake.
About this recipe
Aliv/ Halim or Garden cress seeds are tiny red seeds with dense nutrients. Aliv seeds are traditionally used during post natal care in different parts of India. A delicious laddo ,sweet is made with this aliv seeds and are given to new mothers . De-constructing the same recipe , I came with this healthy smoothie bowl.
Being a nutrition advisor , I often get requests for weight loss recipes , immunity boosting , vegetarian protein and liquid diet recipes. As this aliv seeds belongs to functional food , it easily fits into all these categories , so I developed this aliv makhana smoothie .
This recipe can be eaten by all age groups as breakfast or snack . People looking for weight loss can eat this alone for breakfast , its very filling and keeps you satiates for long . Because this smoothie contains good quality essential proteins ( amino acids) from halim seeds and makhana ( fox nuts) . Good fat from fresh coconut , ghee and cow's milk in fact helps for proper assimilation of nutrients from the body.
So I would recommend to add all the ingredients without any guilt of calories and enjoy your smoothie bowl.
What are Aliv Seeds / Halim or Garden cress seeds?
Halim seeds or Aliv are garden cress seeds a tiny little red seeds , loaded with many health benefits and nutritional qualities. Aliv seeds fall under the category of ‘functional foods’, that promotes overall health.
Garden Cress seeds are heaped with nutrients including iron, folate, Vitamin C, A, E, fibre and protein . Include these tiny seeds 3 times a week to enjoy a broad spectrum of health benefits.
The seeds are most commonly roasted and added to soups, stews , salads and also traditional Indian recipes includes aliv ladoo and kheer .
Health Benefits of Aliv Seeds
Prevents Asthma - The symptoms of asthma can be remarkably lowered also it helps in improving the lung functions. Chewing Garden Cress seeds serves as a good expectorant that helps in treating cough and sore throat.
Improves Hemoglobin - Rich iron in halim seeds promotes the production of red blood cells there by helps to treat anemia in long run.
Good For Gut Health - The abundance fiber in these seeds helps in relieving the symptoms of constipation and indigestion.
Regulates Menstruation - The phytochemicals in aliv seeds are very similar to the estrogen hormone that helps in regularizing the cycle. Hence , Garden Cress seeds is a natural way to normalize the irregular menstrual cycle.
Boosts Memory - Essential fats linolenic acids and arachidonic fatty acids and this good fats functions as an excellent memory-booster.
Good For Skin And Hair Health- Both intake of this seeds as well as topical application as great results on skin and hair. It's essential minerals such as iron and magnesium , prevents hair loss and premature greying of hair.
Promotes Production Of Breast-Milk - Enriched with high amounts of protein and iron, it boosts the secretion of milk. Hence, breast-feeding mothers are encouraged to include food containing garden cress seeds to enhance milk production.
Regulates Diabetes -These seeds excellent anti-glycemic nature . It helps to reduce the breakdown of starch into glucose thus leads to low blood glucose levels.
Facilitates Weight Loss - Owing to the presence of fiber and essential nutrients, these seeds satiates hunger pangs and prevents overeating.
Boosts Immunity -Loaded with a quarry of antioxidants and Vitamin A and C, garden cress seeds offer an absolute remedy for improving the immune system.
Ingredients , Tips and Variations
Aliv Seeds / Garden cress seeds : Adding 2 tablespoon of this seeds are enough to make this recipe. Don't add more as it has rustic earthy flavors , which may impart more raw taste. Soaking this seeds is important before using as soaking helps for its nutrients assimilation. You can find Garden Cress seeds on Amazon.
Makhana / Fox Nuts : These are known for its protein and low calories. Adding makhana in this recipe helps to give a right consistency . So I insist on using ghee roasted Makhana , flavorless fox nuts here.
Fresh Coconuts : Good fat in fresh coconut along with its nutrients and flavors , is a great add on with this recipe in terms of taste as well as nutrition.
Fresh Fruit : Banana helps to make more creamier and goes well with choice of ingredients. Hence robusta banana works great here. Another great choice is Mango , in season you can use mango also in this recipe.
Sweetener : I have uses Dates and Dates syrup along with powdered jaggery on toppings for this recipe. You can add either honey or maple syrup or powdered jaggery as per your taste in this recipe.
Flavors : I have used freshly pound cardamom powder , to enhance flavors of this smoothie bowl. You can use nut meg and cardamom powder here , it goes well.
Toppings : Choose sweeter fruits and nuts like raisins , almonds and cashews. Avoid using walnut and other seeds as this combination may not go well with aliv makhana smoothie bowl.
Step by step directions to make Aliv Makhana Smoothie
Soak 2 tablespoon Aliv seeds seeds in ¼ cup water for 2+ hours or overnight.
After soaking for 2+ hours , aliv seeds absorbs all water and turns gelatinous.
In a pan , heat 1 or 2 teaspoon of Ghee/ clarified butter and roast makhana on low heat until crisp and crunch.
When fox nuts/ makhana are perfectly roasted , you can press makhana between fingers and it breaks down easily.
Now remove from the flame and let it cool down completely. Once it’s cools down you can store in a air tight snack jar and use it as required in any recipe.
To make Aliv makhana smoothie
In a Mixer jar , and 1 cup of ghee roasted makhana , shredded fresh coconut ½ cup , soaked aliv seeds, 1 ½ banana , 4 dates , 2 tablespoon of sweetener ( Honey / Dates Syrup or Jaggery Powder ) , Cow’s Milk and cardamom powder.
Blend everything to smoothie.
Adjust sweetener and consistency of smoothie, if required by adding extra milk if you need to thin out.
Transfer to a bowl, top it with fresh coconut, nuts, raisins, pomegranate arils , makhana, dash of jaggery powder and serve immediately.
Aliv Makhana Smoothie
- 2 tablespoon Aliv Seeds / Garden Cress Seeds : 2 tablespoon
- 1 Cup Makhana / Fox Nuts - roasted in ghee
- ½ Cup Fresh Coconut - shredded
- 1 ½ Robusta Banana
- 4 Dates
- 2 tablespoon Sweetener - Honey / Dates Syrup /Jaggery powder as required
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom Powder - freshly pound
- 300 ml Regular Milk / Coconut Milk for Vegans
- 1 teaspoon Soaked Alive Seeds
- 2 teaspoon Chopped Nuts - Almonds , cashews, pista
- 1 teaspoon Golden Raisins
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Coconut
- ½ Banana
- Few arils of pomegranate
- 2 dash of powdered jaggery
- Soak 2 tablespoon Aliv seeds seeds in ¼ cup water for 2+ hours or overnight.
- After soaking for 2+ hours , aliv seeds absorbs all water and turns gelatinous.
- In a pan , heat 1 or 2 teaspoon of Ghee/ clarified butter and roast makhana on low heat until crisp and crunch.
- When fox nuts/ makhana are perfectly roasted , you can press makhana between fingers and it breaks down easily.
- Now remove from the flame and let it cool down completely. Once it’s cools down you can store in a air tight snack jar and use it as required in any recipe.
To make Aliv makhana smoothie
- In a Mixer jar , and 1 cup of ghee roasted makhana , shredded fresh coconut ½ cup , soaked aliv seeds, 1 ½ banana , 4 dates , 2 tablespoon of sweetener ( Honey / Dates Syrup or Jaggery Powder ) , Cow’s Milk and cardamom powder.
- Blend everything to smoothie.
- Adjust sweetener and consistency of smoothie, if required by adding extra milk if you need to thin out.
- Transfer to a bowl, top it with fresh coconut, nuts, raisins, pomegranate arils , makhana , dash of jaggery powder and serve immediately.
- You can also add ½ teaspoon of ghee to the smoothie , if you wish as it helps in proper assimilation of nutrients.
- Recommended dose of aliv seeds are 1 tablespoon , 2-3 days / week .