Baingan Bharta is simple and easy Punjabi cuisine made with fire roasted Eggplant , mashed with onion , tomatoes and spices. Gets ready within 20 minutes and pairs well with roti and parathas.
Baingan ka bharta is a easy to make , tastes delicious and its my favorite too. This post shares Punjabi style baingan bharta , which uses minimal ingredients.
Other baingan recipes which I often make at home are Baingan Biryani , Badanekayi Ennegayi | Stuffed Baingan and Baingan Rava Fry
About this recipe
Baingan Bharta is basically fire roasted eggplant mash cooked with spices. Though there are different ways to make bharta this is the most common way and the one you will find in Indian restaurants.
Flavors in bharta comes from roasting eggplant directly on fire. Smoke that infuse while roasting baingan is the main key for the recipe . Also tucking in few garlic cloves into eggplant while roasting on fire , adds on lots of flavors.
You need to try this recipe because , it's
- quick , easy and simple to make
- pairs well with roti or plain paratha
- vegan and gluten-free
- authentic Punjabi style baingan bharta recipe
I hope you'll give this recipe a try and love this baingan bharta as much as I do!
Only few spices and minimal ingredients are used to make Punjabi style baingan bharta recipe.
Egg Plant - Always choose a dark purple and large variety of egg plant to make this bharta recipe. Choose a light weighted baingan to make this recipe.
Garlic Cloves are tucked inside egg plants and roasted on fire for more intense flavors.
Onions , Tomatoes ,Ginger, Garlic, Green chillies and coriander leaves are used as other ingredients.
Spices - Salt , coriander powder and red chili powder are used
Oil - I have used mustard oil to make this recipe , you can use vegetable oil.
It's also rich in potassium and vitamin C which helps to keep a healthy heart by lowering the cholesterol. It also helps in lowering blood sugar level and its high fiber protects digestive tract.
Try adding Eggplant in your regular diet to get the most of it.
Can I roast / grill Egg plant in oven?
Yes, you can roast it. But in that case , I recommend you to infuse smoke into baingan , so that you get the actual taste.
You may also like
How to make Baingan ka bharta
Wash whole Baingan /Eggplant , pat it dry with kitchen napkin. Slit open to check for worms, if any.
Insert 4-5 garlic cloves inside slit of eggplant. Grease whole eggplant with 1 teaspoon of oil.
Keep it directly on fire , keep rotating till completely cooked on all sides and skin is completely charred.
Once cooled completely, peel skin and discard it.
Mash pulp and keep it aside.
In a Kadai /deep pot, heat 2 tablespoon of oil ,add chopped garlic, grated ginger, green chillies and onions , sauté till onions turns translucent.
For this add chopped tomato, ½ teaspoon salt and cook until tomatoes are completely mushy and oil rises to the surface.
Now add mashed egg plant and mix well.
Adjust salt and add fresh coriander leaves.
Mix well and serve with roti or paratha
For this add chopped tomato, salt and continue to cook till oil rises to the surface.
Once it’s completely cooked , add coriander leaves.
Serve it as a side dish with roti/chapathi.
This post has been updated from the archives, was first published in February 2014
Baingan bharta recipe
- 500 grams Eggplant
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 no Onions, or 1 cup , finely chopped
- 2 no Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 no Green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger ,grated
- 2 tablespoon Mustard Oil or any cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- 11/2 teaspoon Salt or as required
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Coriander leaves
- Wash whole Baingan /Eggplant , pat it dry with kitchen napkin.
- Slit and check for worms, if any. Now insert 4-5 garlic cloves into egg plant. Grease whole eggplant with 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Keep it over a fire , rotate and roast it on all sides until skin is completely charred.
- Once cooled, peel the skin and mash eggplant along with garlic cloves with a fork and set it aside.
- In a Kadai /deep pot, heat 2 tablespoon of oil. Add chopped garlic, ginger, green chillies and onions. sauté until onions turns translucent.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and mix well .
- For this add chopped tomato, ½ teaspoon salt and cook until tomatoes are completely mushy and oil rises to the surface.
- Now add mashed egg plant and mix well.
- Adjust salt and add fresh coriander leaves.
- Mix well and serve with roti or paratha
- After Roasting the egg plant , you can put roasted eggplant in cold water ,It helps in easy removal of the skin.
- You can also cook tomato first and then add eggplant or vice versa .
Leave a Reply