Badanekayi Ennegayi | Stuffed Baingan recipe with step by step photos and video.
Tender small baingan are stuffed with spicy blend of masala and cooked .
Badanekayi in Kannada refers to Brinjal / Egg plant and Ennegayi means cooked in Oil . Hence this recipe calls for more usage of oil around ⅓ cup but as I always prefer balance in my cooking , I have used 3.5 - 4 tablespoon of oil in this recipe. Just trying to give juistice to the taste without using more oil. Its not about calorific values , its about balancing what I follow. When you can achieve the same taste with less oil and bring out the flavours why to load on more just because the recipe calls for????? Makes sense , right .....!
There are wide varities of recipe and methods followed across India , as small brinjal / eggplant varitiey is quite popular throughout India. But this particular recipe is native of Karnataka and few parts of Maharashtra.
Though , I have tried and tested many eenegayi recipes but this one is the most delicious amongst all the recipes , I have tried so far. Hence making on my blog post.
This recipe is from a TV show, I don't actually remember, I got it from my recipe file , handwritten on a old piece of paper shared by my sister. With few changes to the orginally recipe , finally hooked up to this one. This gets best when served with jowar roti or rice flour roti also called as bhakri . Can also serve with Roti , Chapathi or Phulka.
Pair with Jowar roti / bhakri , it tastes super delicious and definitely you'll wipe the plate clean . Believe me , though it's not authentic recipe, its best ever Ennegayi/ stuffed baingan recipe . You must consider trying it for its rich, thick , perfectly cooked , tasty tender baingan.
This gravy goes on well with Jowar Roti, Rice flour Roti, Pathri and Bili Holige/ Stuffed Rice Flour Paratha. You can also have it with Chapathi too.
If you are looking for more baingan recipes , then don't forget check this super delicious recipes from my blog
RECIPE CARD FOR BADANEKAYI ENNEGAYI | STUFFED BAINGAN
Badenkayi Ennegayi | Stuffed Baingan Masala Recipe
- 250-300 grams Small Brinjals
- 2 no’s Onion medium size
- 2 no’s Tomato medium size
- ⅓ Cup Peanuts
- 6- 8 garlic - cloves
- 6-7 no’s Dry Red Chillies
- ½ teaspoon Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Poppy seeds / kus kus
- ¼ Cup Fresh Coconut
- ½ teaspoon Jaggery
- ¾ teaspoon Tamarind Pulp
- 3 Curry leaves - sprig
- 4.5 tablespoon Oil - 4Tbsp + ½ tablespoon divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt - as required
- Dry roast peanuts and set aside.
- In a pan add 1 teaspoon oil , add cumin seeds , dry red chillies , poppy seeds, fresh coconut and saute till fragrant.
- Add roughly sliced onions and fry till translucent.
- Now slide in chopped tomatoes, turmeric, salt , jaggery , red chilli powder ( optional , I use to get good colour ) , tamarind in order and fry well till tomatoes are cooked completely.
- Grind together dry roasted peanuts, raw garlic and above fried onion ,tomato spices. Add ¼ cup water and blend into a smooth paste.
- Wash the brinjals and slit lengthwise into four,with quarters held together at the stalk.
- Stuff all the slit brinjals with grounded masala and reserve the remaining masala.
- Heat oil in a kadai,add curry leaves , 1-2 broken red chilli and saute for a minute.
- Add the stuffed brinjals and remaining masala and gently saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Let it cook in oil for about 5 minutes , add 1.5 cups of water and salt .
- Cover lid and cook for 10-15 minues, till baingan cooked well and oil floats on top .
- Turn off the stove , gently mix and serve with jowar bhakri.
2.Alternatively to dry red chilly ,you can use red chilly powder 1 Tbsp. 3. As you'll stuff masala into brinjal, make sure to cook the onion,tomato and spices mixture completely before grinding. 4.Taste the masala before stuffing and adjust salt. Salt should be added into masala before stuffing inside the brinjal, later to the curry , adjust salt by ½ teaspoon or less , if required only.
Step-by Step directons to make Badanekayi Eennegayi / Stuffed Baingan :
Dry roast peanuts.Take a pan add 1 teaspoon oil and fry onion, dry red chillies , poppy seeds,cumin seeds,fresh coconut till fragrant, add tomatoes, turmeric, salt , jaggery , tamarind in order and fry well till tomatoes cooked completely.
Turn of the heat and allow it to cool completely.
Transfer it to a mixer and grind together dry roasted peanuts,raw garlic,tamarind and above fried onion ,tomato spices.
Add ¼ cup water and blend into a smooth paste.
Wash the brinjals and slit lengthwise into four,with quarters held together at the stalk. Stuff all the slit brinjals with grounded masala and reserve the remaining masala.
Heat oil in a kadai,add curry leaves , 1 broken red chilly and saute for a minute.Add the stuffed brinjals and saute for about ten minutes.
Add reserved masala and mix gently. Add 1 ½ cup of water, cover and cook over a low heat till the brinjals are completely cooked and oil rises to the surface.
Serve hot with Jowar Roti,Akki Roti / Rice flour roti, Stuffed Rice Flour Roti or chapathi .
Thanks for sharing the perfect receipe !!
This is the best receipe of Ennegai I have ever tried.
Thanks dear 🙂