Carrot halwa popularly known as gajar ka halwa, it’s a very popular indian dessert done during any festivals and get togethers. Generally done during month of december when carrots are seasonal,and when body needs more fat to withstand the cold temperature.But I did this just like that as guests were expected.
The recipe i have followed here is the traditional carrot halwa recipe ,where im using only full fat milk ,ghee ,carrot and dry fruits.There are many ways of doing this by adding Condensed milk and Khoya/ mawa but as i wanted to keep it simple and diet friendly, i ended up doing this ,without compromising on taste.
Whenever I think of this good old gajrela,i straight away start admiring our good old generations as they prove to be very knowledgeable even in every small and basics of eating,how well they have incorporated this Vitamin A and Vit K rich carrots in ghee/clarified butter to get all those benefits. Just by sticking to their principles of eating and their habits ,its sure that no one will be obese around us.The best time to eat this winter dessert is either in the morning or as a post lunch snack rather than eating this as a dessert after food with ice cream which may add on some more inches to your waistline.Enjoy this dessert as its rich in beta-carotene and vit K, fat soluble vitamins,so is the amount of fat that gets into this carrot halwa.So don’t ever think about the calories it carries,just eat at the right time and enjoy the goodness of this dessert guilt free.
Recipe card for Carrot Halwa | Gajar Ka Halwa
Carrot Halwa | Gajar Ka Halwa Recipe
- 4-4.5 Cups Red Carrot Grated
- 2 Cups Full Fat Milk
- 8-9 Tbsp Sugar or as required
- 6 Tbsp Ghee /Clarified Butter
- 1/2 Tsp Green cardamom Powder ,4-5 cardamom pods ,dehusked and powdered
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Raisins
- 12 Cashews
- Rinse carrots,pat it dry ,trim the edges , peel the skin ,grate it and keep it aside
- In a heavy bottom thick pan /kadai (don't use Nonstick),add 1/2 tbsp of ghee/clarified butter and add grated carrot,top it with another 1/2 tbsp of ghee.
- Saute the carrot till the rawness of carrot goes,it takes around 8-10 minutes.
- Now add boiled milk and allow the carrots to get cooked in the milk,keep it on low flame.
- Milk gets reduced and evaporates,once its almost reduced about 90%,add sugar and ghee 4 Tbsps.
- Stir well and continue to cook on low flame,keep stirring gajar ka halwa in between.
- Whilst break cashews into pieces and fry cashews and raisins in 1 Tbsp of ghee separately and keep it aside.
- Once it absorbs all ghee and sugar, it's done.
- Add fried cashew,raisins, cardamom powder and mix well.
- Serve Carrot Halwa hot,warm or cold .Can also serve with Ice cream.
Step by Step Directions on making of Carrot Halwa :
1. Rinse the Carrots well, Peel the skin and Grate It. You can grate it by hand held grater or with food processor. I have used Food Processor.
2.Use a heavy Bottom pan / Kadai ,add 1 tbsp ghee and saute carrot till the rawness goes off.
3.Add pre boiled full fat milk to carrot and allow carrot to cook in milk.
4.Once it starts to boil ,keep on low flame and allow carrots to cook till milk reduces.
5.When milk is almost reduced to 90%, add sugar and stir well.
6.Then add ghee and give a quick stir,so that all ghee gets absorbed and halwa looks glazed.
7.Towards the end,add fried cashews ,raisins ,cardamom powder and mix well. Turn off the heat.
8.Serve it hot ,warm or cold. You can serve even with ice cream.