Churumuri recipe with step by step photos and video . Churumuri is a tasty and very popular street food snack /bhel recipe from Karnataka. It's made out of puffed rice and assorted vegetables like onion , tomato , cucumber, carrot , mango, pineapple along with spices and green chutney .
About this recipe
Churmuri is a version of Bhel Puri , made with puffed rice , assorted vegetables, spiced peanuts and some namkeen / mixture/sev . Bhel Puri is popular Indian Street food , native of Mumbai.
Bhel puri has 2 versions one is wet and other one is dry referred as sukha bhel. To make Bhel puri , sweet and spice , 2 different chutneys are used . Where has sukha bhel is made without any chutney.
Churmuri and Jhalmuri are versions of sukha bhel. Jhalmuri is famous in eastern part of India and Churmuri in South India.
Jhal muri is quite similar to Churumuri but the differences lies in the pungent flavor of mustard oil and muri masala used in Jhalmuri . But in Churmuri sesame oil or coconut oil is used . Oil used in these bhel recipes are purely on regional preferences.
In India ,one can find Bhel stalls in every nook and corner of a road . Its so very popular and loved among all age groups and also its a low calorie snack that is very very inexpensive.
Ingredients , Tips and Variations
Puffed Rice / Murmura is the main ingredient to make this dish. You can find puffed rice in any Indian stores.
Sev / Mixture / Farsan is a fried crispy ready to eat snack made with gram flour. There are varieties of sev is available. Spicy mixture of different kinds of sev works well for this recipe. You can also use other crunchy namkeen's like Nippattu / Masala puri ,but its optional.
Peanuts - Congress kadle beeja or any spicy roasted peanuts works well in this recipe. iBut if its not available , you can roast peanuts and use in this recipe.
Assorted Vegetables : Onions and Carrots are must for this recipe. Along with it you can also use tomatoes and cucumber. I personally don't use tomatoes and cucumber as it juices quickly gets absorbed with puffed rice making it soft.
Seasonal fruits : Can use 2 tablespoon of raw mangoes in season . You can also use small pieces of pineapple to make tasty churmuri but its optional.
Green Chutney : Blend coriander leaves , green chilies, cumin powder , 1 garlic clove , salt and lime juice together . Don't add water to make this chutney. Because water content gets absorbed by puffed rice and looses its crispiness.
Spices and Herbs : Adjust as per your likings.
Note : Making Churumuri is simple and easy but you should be really quick in mixing puffed rice with veggies and chutney. If you are not quick enough , then juices from veggies and chutney mix with murmura making it soft. So its very important to briskly mix everything . Serve immediately.
Step by Step directions on making of Churumuri :
Firstly, heat 1.5 tablespoon of sesame oil in a small tadka / seasoning pan and turn off the stove. Set it aside to cool down.
Prepare green chutney in a small chutney jar , add 2 tablespoon of coriander leaves , 1-2 green chilies , 1 garlic clove , ½ teaspoon jeera powder, 1 teaspoon lime juice and salt.
Blend to a smooth paste as much as possible ,without adding water.
Finely chop onions , grate carrots and chop coriander leaves . In a large mixing bowl , take puffed rice.
Add peanuts, mixture ( sev +namkeen) and veggies .
Take 1.5 tablespoon of sesame oil ( or any vegetable oil) , ½ teaspoon of chili powder and green chutney.
Mix well everything . Pour this ladle of chutney ,oil and chilli on murmura .
Now , briskly quick stir everything.
Serve it immediately in paper cones lined with parchment paper or banana leaf.
- 4 Cups Puffed Rice Murmura
- ½-3/4 Cup Onions chopped
- ½ Cup Carrots grated
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves
- ¼ Cup Spiced peanuts / Masala Peanuts
- ½ Cup Sev Mixture / Farsan
- 1 ½ teaspoon Sesame Oil / Til Oil
- ½ teaspoon Chilli powder
- 2 no's Nippattu or Masala Puri - optional
For Green Chutney
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Leaves
- 1-2 No's Green Chilli (less spice Green Chillies)
- 1 Garlic Clove
- ½ teaspoon Jeera Powder
- ½-3/4 teaspoon Salt or as required
- 1 teaspoon Lime juice
- Heat 1.5 tablespoon of sesame oil in a small tadka / seasoning pan and turn off the stove. Set it aside to cool down.
- Whilst ,prepare green chutney in a small chutney jar , add 2 tablespoon of coriander leaves , 1-2 green chillies , 1 garlic clove , ½ teaspoon jeera powder, 1 teaspoon lime juice and salt.
- Finely chop onions , grate carrots and chop coriander leaves . Take everything in a wide vessel. Add veggies with puffed rice or murmura .
- Blend to a smooth paste as much as possible ,without adding water.
- Add ¼ cup Congress Kadale Beeja or Masala Peanuts and ½ cup Mixture / Sev/ Farsan.
- Place green chutney in a ladle , add 1.5 tablespoon of cooled sesame oil / til oil and ½ teaspoon of chilli powder
- Add ¼ cup Congress Kadale Beeja or Masala Peanuts and ½ cup Mixture / Sev/ Farsan. Take green chutney in a ladle , add 1.5 tablespoon of sesame oil / til oil and ½ teaspoon of chilli powder .
- Pour this ladle of chutney ,oil and chilli on murmura and give a quick stir.
- Serve it immediately in paper cones lined with parchment paper or banana leaf.
- If Puffed rice/ Murmura is old or not crisp enough, dry roast puffed rice for 2-3 minutes, this yields a good crisper puffed rice.
- Prepare green chutney without adding water. Grind to as smooth as possible to make a paste out of it.
- Puffed rice will be having salt , so add very little salt.
- Directly adding salt ,makes onion to release juice fast. Hence add salt to chutney only, quick stir with murmura and serve immediately
- Heat sesame oil , cool and then use in the recipe .