Congress Kadlebeeja | Spiced Peanuts are Black Pepper Powder and Hing/ Asafoetida tossed Peanuts , speciality from Karnataka Iyengar Bakery.If you are in Karnataka then you should ask for this Spiced Peanuts as "Congress Kadlebeeja " in any Iyengar Bakery or Condiments stores.
Kadalekai beeja in Kannada means peanuts and congress......,I don't know why this is named after a political party 🙂 .These spiced peanuts are different from the regular deep fried masala peanuts. In this Congress Peanuts one can sense the main heat from Black Pepper powder, flavour of overpowered Asafoetida and turmeric powder.
Congress Kadlebeeja is very spicy and adds a zeal when added on chats like Nippattu Masala , Churmuri ,Tomato slice,Bun Masala and many more. These chats names may be new to people outside Karnataka but well known to Bangaloreans. If im not wrong it's all teenagers most favourite chats till date. As one can see these moving chats stalls outside schools and colleges 🙂 🙂 🙂 - " Idhu Namma Bengaluru " ,means " Its our Bengaluru" ,nostalgic !
I often do Churmuri at home , as it is very low in calorie and make good evening chat. So needed this congress Kadlebeeja to prepare Churmuri . For all those who doesn't know Churmuri - it is a Sukka Bhel prepared from murmura ,also known as Jhalmuri in East India. I always add this spiced peanuts to Churmuri , so I prepare this and keep it in advance. Because it is easy to make and also you can store it upto a week in an airtight container.Though it doesn't last so long 🙂 🙂 🙂
Seve these Namkeen for evening Masala Chai or filter coffee too.
Recipe Card for Congress Kadlebeeja | Spiced Peanuts
Congress Kadlebeeja | Spiced Peanuts
Dry Roasted Peanuts are spiced up with asafoetida ,turmeric and heat of Black pepper powder.Print Pin Rate
Calories / Serving : 177
- 1 Cup Peanuts
- 1-2 Tsp Oil
- 1 Spring Curry leaves
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ Tsp Hing / Asafoetida
- ½ Tsp Red Chilli powder ,optional
- 1 - 1.5 Tsp Black pepper powder
- ¾ - 1 Tsp Salt or as required
- Dry roast peanuts on a iron griddle till light golden brown. Don't over do it.
- Allow it cool , then rub peanuts between the palms to de-skin and split the peanuts.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan, once its hot, add curry leaves ,fry till it become crisp.
- Put the flame to sim and add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, salt, asafoetida and split peanuts. Gently mix well everything . Turn off the heat, Take measure not to burn the spices
- Place it on a kitchen paper napkin to absorb the extra oil .
- Store it in a airtight container and use it as required.
- Serve as namkeen along with Masala Chai or Filter coffee
Subscribe to my YouTube ChannelClick here Palate's Desire !
Tried this recipe? I LOVE to seeSnap a photo and mention @palatesdesire
Step By Step Directions on making of Congress Kadlebeeja | Spiced Peanuts :
Dry roast peanuts on a iron griddle till light golden brown. Don't over do it.
Allow it cool , then rub peanuts between the palms to de-skin and split the peanuts.
Heat oil in a nonstick pan, add curry leaves ,fry till it become crisp.
Put the flame to sim and add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, salt, asafoetida and split peanuts.
Gently mix well everything and turn off the heat. Take measure not to burn the spices.
Place peanuts on a kitchen paper napkin to absorb the extra oil.
Store it in a airtight container and use it as required.