Instant Rava Paddu recipe with step by step photos and short video. Instant Rava Paddu is tasty breakfast made with semolina , yogurt and vegetables .
It is made with rava , curds and Poha/ beaten rice where everything is mixed well together and tempered with curry leaves and different lentils. Mixed to a thick batter consistency and cooked on appe Pan.
About this recipe
Anything instant is what catches one's eye. Everyone's life seems to be running very fast , instant and healthy food gains attention. Instant Rava Paddu needs no preparations , no prior plans gets ready within 20-30 minutes.
This is my quick to go , easy and tasty breakfast recipe.
Paddu ,Guliyappa,Gunta ponganalu, Kuzhi paniyaram , Appe are the different names for this dish. Authentic Paddu is extremely delicious which is prepared by soaking and grinding different lentils and rice together and fermenting it overnight.
But here iIm sharing a instant paddu recipe prepared with rava/sooji/semolina. Authentic rice appe recipe is already present on blog. Though you can not match the taste of rice appam with that of rava appe , both recipes have its own distinct taste and texture. Both these appe recipes are equally loved at our home.
To make instant rava paddu / sooji appe , ingredients used are very similar to the ones used for Instant Rava Idli , but I like Paddu better than Rava idli may be because of the amount of oil used on frying appe, makes it more tastier than steamed Rava Idli.
Two main ingredients that differs in Instant Rave Appam and Instant Rava Idli is the use of Poha in Rava appam and use of Baking soda / Eno salt in Rava Idli.
I also make Banana Appam , this is a sweet appam made with rice , banana , jaggery and bits of coconut. This is a delicious and tasty snack recipe that can be made within 15 minutes and makes a best after school hour snacks for kids.
This is a kind of more filling breakfast/tiffin as sooji is used here .Serve as a evening tiffin along with coconut chutney and a cup of filter coffee or Masala Tea. Such that light dinner can be planned as a part of healthy diet plan.
This tastes good when served with plain coconut chutney without any tadka over it ,as all kind of seasoning is used in Instant Paddu recipe itself.This is my healthy evening snack idea ,a swap for any kind of fried food....,What's yours?
Step by step directions to make Instant Rava Paddu :
1.Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a non stick pan, once its hot add mustard seeds allow it to crackle. Now add jeera ,once it starts to change colour add chana dal,urad dal and moong dal .
When it starts to change colour add rava/sooji ,mix well and keep it on a low flame for 4-5 minutes stirring in between and turn off the heat.
2.Meanwhile chop onions,grate carrot and chop greens.Add these to above slightly roasted rava/sooji.
Also add rice flour, soaked poha ,cooking soda and salt. Mix well.
3.Add curds, now add water part by part slowly till batter reaches the consistency of Idli batter (thick batter ). Keep it aside for 10-15 minutes.
4.Heat Paddu griddle and add 2-3 drops oil to each chamber,take spoonful of batter and pour it into each section. Drizzle some oil over the batter, close the lid and allow it to cook for 3-4 minutes.
Once you open the lid you can see the pores here and there, drizzle some more oil , remove it with a help of a spoon and turn it other side and cook for 1-2 minutes.
5.Paddu will be ready to serve with coconut chutney. It tastes better only when you have it hot with ghee and coconut chutney 🙂
Instant Rava Paddu | Instant Sooji Appe
- 1 Cup Rava
- ½ Cup Rice flour
- 2 tablespoon Thin Poha/ Rice Flakes Soaked
- ¾ Cup Curds
- 3 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Channa Dal
- 1 tablespoon Urad Dal
- 1 tablespoon Moong Dal
- ½ inch Ginger grated
- 2 Green Chilli finely Chopped
- 2 Sprigs Curry leaves finely Chopped
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves Chopped
- 1 Onion finely Chopped
- 1 Carrot grated
- 1 pinch Baking soda/Cooking soda
- ¾ teaspoon Salt or as required
- ⅓ Cup Water or as required
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan,add mustard seeds, jeera seeds, channa dal, urad dal and moong dal.
- When all dals,starts to change colour to golden brown ,add 1 cup rava and fry for 4-5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Once it cools down, add salt,cooing soda, rice flour,soaked and smashed poha,chopped coriander leaves,curry leaves ,ginger,green chilies,onions and grated carrot.
- Whisk curds and mix with above rava/semolina mixture. Add water part by part as required , so that batter consistency should be like dosa batter. Keep it aside for 10 minutes,so that water gets soaked well and batter consistency will become thick like idly batter.Its the right consistency.
- Heat appe pan, drizzle some oil in all chambers of appe pan.
- Take spoonful of batter and drop in all chambers of appe pan,drizzle some oil on top too. Close lid and cook paddu on both sides on medium flame for 5-6 minutes.
- Paddu's are ready to serve.