Banana Appe from left over rice recipe with step by step pictures and short video . Banana appe is a tasty snack made with rice flour , ripen banana , jaggery and flavoured with spices . Here in this recipe instead of rice flour , I have made use of left over rice to create this tasty snack . It’s one of the best way to make use of left over rice and serve as a evening snack for kids or can be a great short break snack for tiffin box during school and working hours.
Any cooked and cool rice works good on this recipe . Alternatively you can even use rice flour instead of cooked rice to make this recipe . Actually original recipe calls for rice flour but to make use of left over rice , I often make this recipe .
My lil boy is a fussy eater and is very choosy about food. I really find it very hard to make him eat anything new or make him eat any sweet . His taste buds works only for savoury dishes and says BIG NO for all kind of sweet dishes.
So my only way to make him eat sweets is , I distribute among his friends and once they say it is delicious , then he slowly comes to me asking for it. Hence he has so many memories with friends for almost every sweet dish . At times he recalls those memories with his friends , narrates me the whole story and asks me for that particular dish. This banana appe is one among such category ….., he recalled a old memory and asked me for this mild sweetened banana appam.
This Banana appe is not very sweet . It has a balance of sweetness from banana , fresh coconut and jaggery . Also there is a hint of flavours from spices like cardamom , dry ginger , cumin and nutmeg. Its undoubtedly an healthy and tasty snack for kids. You can serve this banana appe either for breakfast or after school hours snack . This instant sweet appam is tasty and filling too .
One more appe which I often do the most is Instant Rava Paddu | Sooji Appe , which is loved by all at home .
RECIPE CARD FOR BANANA APPE
- 2 cups Cooked Rice
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3 no's Banana , fully ripen
- 2 Tbsp Rice flour
- 4 – 5 Tbsp Jaggery powder or as required
- 1/4 cup Fresh coconut , small pieces
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom powder
- 1/4 Tsp Ginger Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin / jeera powder
- 1/8 Tsp Nutmeg/ Jaiphal powder
- 2 Tbsp Black/ White Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 -1 Tsp Ghee / Clarified butter for each appe
- Add 2 cups of cooked rice to a mixer jar and add 1/2 cup of water and blend to smooth but thick batter.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In the same mixer jar , add ripen banana and make puree.
- Add banana puree to the mixing bowl along with rice batter.
- Now add in fresh pieces of coconut, jaggery powder , rice flour , cardamom powder , ginger powder , nutmeg powder , cumin powder , salt and baking soda.
- Add sesame seeds and whisk well to get a thick batter.
- Taste batter and adjust sweetness , if required. Whisk well and set aside.
- Heat appe pan , add 1/2 Tsp of Ghee / clarified butter into every chamber.
- Add a spoonful of batter , cover the pan with a lid and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Open the lid , drizzle another 1/2 Tsp of ghee on top of the appe in each chamber.
- Gently slide in the spoon on each appe chamber , flip appe and cook on other side for about 3 more minutes .
- Remove appe and serve it hot or warm .
- Instead of cooked rice , you can add 1.5 cups of rice flour.
- To blend cooked rice add 1/3 -1/2 cup of water , don’t add more.
- If batter becomes thin , then increase the amount of rice flour.
- Depending on the sweetness of banana , increase or decrease the amount of jaggery.
- Drizzle ghee/ clarified butter and cook on both side on medium heat.
- Makes around 21-24 appe and serving size is 5-6 appe / person.
Step by Step directions to make Banana Appe:
Add 2 cups of cooked rice to a mixer jar and add 1/2 cup of water
Blend to a smooth but thick batter.
Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside.
In the same mixer jar , add ripen banana .
Make banana puree.
Add banana puree to the mixing bowl along with rice batter.
Now add in fresh pieces of coconut, jaggery powder and rice flour .
Add spice powders cardamom powder , ginger powder , nutmeg powder , cumin powder , salt and baking soda. ( I has missed to add sesame seeds at this step , hence added in the next step ) .
Add sesame seeds and whisk well to get a thick batter.
Taste batter and adjust sweetness , if required. Whisk well and set aside.
Heat appe pan , add 1/2 Tsp of Ghee / clarified butter into every chamber.
Add a spoonful of batter .
Cover the pan with a lid and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
Open the lid , drizzle another 1/2 Tsp of ghee on top of the appe in each chamber.
Gently slide in the spoon on each appe chamber , flip appe and cook on other side for about 3 more minutes .
Remove appe and serve it hot or warm .
As it is made using leftover rice , don’t store it. If you wish to store then , use rice flour to make this tasty snack snack.