Makhana Kheer recipe with step by step photos and video. Makhana kheer is a rich , creamy and delicious dessert made under 30 minutes. Along with being tasty ,this foxnuts milk based dessert is very dense in nutrition and a healthy treat to indulge.
This Makhane Ki Kheer is popular during Navratri fasting , Makhana ( Foxnuts) are consumed during Ekadashi or on any ritual fasting day as it's nutrient dense and keeps full for longer hours. Hence Makhana Kheer is also known as vrat kheer.
I had made this kheer , a day before Janmashtami , as we perform fasting prior to Janmashtami celebrations.
- Makhana / Fox nuts
- Full fat whole milk
- Ghee/ Clarified Butter
- Cardamom Powder , Saffron strands for flavoring
- Assorted dry fruits and nuts of your choice
See recipe card for quantities.
Heat 2 tablespoon of ghee in a pan and roast foxnut / makhana on medium until makhana turns crisp. You can crush a foxnut nut between fingers and test whether makhana are roasted well and are crunchy. Or just pop into your mouth ….
You can buy Organic Makhana on amazon : Buy Foxnuts
Reserve ⅓ cup of makhana and Transfer remaining roasted foxnuts into a blender .
Pulse 1-2 times to get coarse foxnuts powder.
Heat 3 cups milk in same pan and bring it to boil.
Now add in roasted makhana powder , mix well everything.
Let it come to boil . Now add in sugar to taste , mix well .
Add fried raisins and cashews , few saffron strands and cardamom powder.
Turn off the stove. Add reserved makhana into kheer, mix well everything.
Serve Makhana kheer hot or cold. Kheer tends to thicken slightly once after it cools down.
If you are looking to know how to make the recipe fit a Vegan Diet ,
- Milk - instead of Cow's Milk , you can use Almond milk or Cashew milk for richer and super delicious dessert.
Giving the visitor ideas on how they can change this recipe to better suit their dinner guests, or their cultural cuisine, is a great way to increase the chances they make the recipe
- Sweetener -you can add either sugar free or honey or maple syrup to suit your need.
- Flavors - add dried rose petals ,kewra water or rose water.
- Kid friendly - crush roasted foxnuts into finer powder is serving for babies.
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. I have made this recipe on a induction stove top and a non stick pan . You can make this makhana kheer on a gas stove also. Just make sure to use a deep pan or kadai to make this dessert.
Store in refrigerator for 1 to 2 days only , As it is a milk based dessert this dessert don't stand up well to freezing.
Roasting and keeping foxnuts in a air tight jar , helps to put up this dish under15 minutes.
Makhana Kheer Recipe
- 2 cups Makhana / Fox nuts
- 2 tablespoon ghee /Clarified Butter
- 3 cups full cream milk
- 5.5 tablespoon sugar or as required
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 2 tablespoon golden fried raisins and cashews
- Saffron few strands - optional
- Heat 2 tablespoon of ghee in a pan and roast foxnut / makhana on medium until makhana turns crisp.
- Reserve ⅓ cup of roasted foxnuts and transfer remaining makhana into blender.
- Pulse 1-2 times to get coarse foxnuts powder.
- Heat 3 cups milk in same pan and bring it to boil.
- Now add in roasted makhana powder , mix well everything.
- Let it come to boil . Now add in sugar to taste , mix well .
- Add fried raisins and cashews , few saffron strands and cardamom powder.
- Turn off the stove. Add reserved makhana into kheer, mix well everything.
- Serve Makhana kheer hot or cold. Kheer tends to thicken slightly once after it cools down.