Masida Soppu Saaru aka Massoppu saaru with step by step photos and video. Massoppu is a popular green leafy vegetable curry prepared with assorted green leafy vegetables ,lentils , spices along with fresh coconut .
About this recipe
Masida Soppu Saaru meaning Mashed Green Leaves Curry. This is very popular in rural part of Karnataka that to especially among Vokkaliga community around Bangalore region. Assorted green leafy veggies are pressure cooked along with toor dal , onion , garlic ,green chillies and tomato . Then blended well using a mixer or hand blender .Lastly ,saute coconut masala in oil, add mashed greens and cook.
This is a very healthy curry with minimal oil and maximum health benefits.
It's a mix of green veggies like green amaranth leaves , spinach , fenugreek and dill leaves. Any kind of green leafy vegetables can be added except gongura and drumstick leaves. If other leaves are not available then only a combination of dill , fenugreek and spinach will also be fine.
I often prepare this curry at home , a quick fix for RDA quota of Iron 😉 😉 . After whole lot of binge , I prepare this at home , just for my satisfaction of eating right. Also its quite easy to feed fussy eaters , as they will never come to know the amount of greens in the curry.
Watch Massoppu saaru video
How to make Masida Soppu Saaru:
Wash toor dal and all leafy vegetables. In a pressure cooker, add toor dal, onion, 6 cloves of garlic, tomatoes, green chilly and all greens.
Add 1 cup of water and pressure cook for a whistle.
Once pressure is released on its own, drain the cooked stock and reserve it for latter use. Allow cooked dal , greens and vegetables to cooldown completely .
When it cools down completely ,transfer into a mixer/processor. Blend/ process for 3-5 seconds such that everything is mashed well.
In a small mixer jar, add fresh coconut, tamarind and sambar powder to a very smooth paste by adding little water. If fresh coconut is not available, you can skip it and just use sambar powder and tamarind water directly .
In a pan ,heat oil ,add mustard seeds once it splutters , add all the seasoning ingredients one by one in order.
Fry onion and garlic for a 2-3 minutes, add the above grounded coconut paste fry well till oil leaves the corners. If not using coconut masala paste , skip and proceed to next step.
Now add cooked and mashed greens, mix well. Add drained water and also about 3 cups of water, add salt to taste. Once it starts to boil, turn off the heat.
Masida soppu saaru will be ready to serve . Serve this curry along with Ragi Mudde |Ragi Balls or Rice .
Masida Soppu Saaru | Assorted Green Leaves Curry - Karnataka Style
- 2 Cups Chopped Spinach leaves or 1 large bunch Spinach
- 1 Cup Dil Leaves chopped or1 small bunch
- 1 Cup Fenugreek leaves or 1 small bunch
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves optional
- ½ Cup Toor Dal
- 1 ½ No's Onion medium size
- 2 No's Tomatoes
- 3 No's Green Chilly
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt or as required
For Masala Paste
- ½ cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind ,firmly pressed
- 2 tablespoon Sambar Powder
- 2-3 teaspoon Cooking Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 2 sprigs Curry Leaves
- 2 Dry Red Chilli ,Broken
- ¼ teaspoon Asafoetida
- ½ small Onion , Quartered and crushed
- 3 Garlic cloves ,crushed
- Clean all the green and thoroughly wash . Roughly chop greens .Rinse and wash Toor dal.
- In pressure cooker,add toor dal,onion, 6 cloves of garlic,tomatoes,green chilly and all greens.Add 1 cup of water and pressure cook for a whistle
- When pressure is released on its own,drain the water and keep it aside. Allow it to cool .
- Once cooled , place all the above cooked greens and dal into a mixer/processor and blend/ process for 3-5 seconds such that everything is blended well.
- In a small mixer jar,add fresh coconut,tamarind and sambar powder to a very smooth paste by adding little water.
- Take a pan,heat oil,add mustard seeds once it sputters add all the seasoning ingredients listed above in order.
- Fry Onion and garlic for a 2 minutes,add the above grounded coconut paste fry well till oil leaves the corners.
- For this add cooked and mashed greens,mix well. Add drained water and also about 2.5 - 3 cups of water, add salt to taste. Cover and bring to boil . Once it starts to boil,turn off the heat. Alternatively you can also close pressure cooker and when its about to whistle, turn off the stove. Refer notes
- Masida soppu saaru will be ready to serve .Serve this curry along with Ragi Mudde / Ragi Balls or plain Rice .
- If you are not using coconut,then soak tamarind in water,extract the juice out of it for this mix sambar powder and add it after adding mashed greens.
- You can use any assorted Green leafy vegetables of your choice except gongura and Nugge soppu/Drumstick leaves.If you add more greens,then adjust curry powder accordingly.
- Cover with any lid or pressure cooker lid and boil , as it splutters when boils. I prefer to cook with pressure cooker lid with weight , as no monitor is needed. When whistle is about to come, turn off the stove and allow pressure to release on its own. It doesn't take more than 5-6 minutes.