Masala Akki Roti is very famous and common in southern part of Karnataka. Basically , Akki means rice in kannada and roti prepared with it is Akki Roti/ Bhakri . A easy breakfast as well as tiffin recipe of Karnataka . Many versions of Akki roti are there but this one is simple and delicious recipe prepared using Dill Leaves / Sabbasige Soppu / Shepu leaves. For variations in the recipe , replace Dill leaves with methi leaves or Palak/spinach leaves. Also all green leafy vegetables can be combined and added along with some grated carrot.
Akki roti prepared using dill leaves is one of the best combination. Even Akki roti is prepared using drumstick leaves .With every different greens , different and delicious tastes is obtained. Mom prepares ultimate akki roti but till date I haven’t excelled to her level .But still,you can rely on this recipe to get soft and good roti’s. Akki roti tastes better with Coconut Chutney and also with Groundnut Chutney .
Recipe Card for Masala Akki Roti | Masala Rice Flour Roti
Masala akki Roti is a Gluten Free and Healthy Roti from Karnataka ,it is made out of rice flour ,green leafy vegetables , herbs and spices.
- 1 Cup Rice Flour
- 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 Cup Water or as required
- 3/4 Cup Dill Leaves or Methi Leaves or Palak
- 1 Big Onion finely Chopped
- 1 Green Chilli Finely Chopped
- 2 Sprigs Curry Leaves Chopped
- 1 no Carrot grated ,optional
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves Chopped
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds Optional
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt or as required
Bring water to boil in a wide open vessel.
Add Rice flour ,Salt and oil to boiling water . Mix everything thoroughly such that there are no lumps.
Close it with a lid and keep it on a sim for 5 minutes.
Turn off the flame and allow it to get warm. Add all the chopped greens, onion ,carrot,green chillies and cumin seeds.
Mix everything with rice flour and knead well till it's smooth. Pinch dough and make 4-5 balls.
Dust some flour , using rolling pin, roll 5-6 " inch round roti.
Heat Iron griddle/ tawa ,Put roti on tawa, cook evenly on both sides by drizzling some oil. Takes 3-4 minutes to cook.
- Amount of water depends on the quality of rice flour, 1 1/2 cup water was sufficient for me it may take up to 1 3/4 cup .
- If dough becomes too thin, add some more rice flour . If it becomes tight sprinkle some hot water and knead the dough.
- After adding greens and onions , it does leaves some water. So make a firm dough before adding veggies.
Step-By-Step Directions on making of Akki Roti :
1.Take water in a wide mouth vessel and keep it on a high flame when water starts to boil,lower the flame and sprinkle rice flour and salt, mix it well with the help of a spatula and add oil to it and mix thoroughly such that there are no lumps.
Close it with a lid and keep it on a sim for 5 minutes. Meanwhile chop all the greens and onions. Now open the lid again mix and turn off the gas.Once cooled add all the chopped greens, onions, green chillies and cumin seeds (i forgot to add) to the rice flour mixture and knead well.
3. Dust some flour on worktop and roll roti using rolling pin. Alternatively , you can even roll roti/bhakri using hands. Now heat the iron griddle or non stick tawa . When it’s hot place the paper plate facing roti side on to the griddle. After a second remove the paper plate gently.
4.Drizzle some oil/ghee on sides of roti and cook on both sides. It gets cooked within 3 minutes.