Masala Akki Roti recipe with step by step photos. Akki Roti is very famous and popular Indian Flat bread from Karnataka , it is made with rice flour and assorted vegetables.
About this recipe
Basically , Akki means rice in kannada and roti prepared with it is Akki Roti/ Bhakri . A easy breakfast as well as tiffin recipe of Karnataka . Many versions of Akki roti are there but this one is simple and delicious recipe prepared using Dill Leaves / Sabbasige Soppu / Shepu leaves.
For variations in the recipe , replace Dill leaves with methi leaves or Palak/spinach leaves. Also all green leafy vegetables can be combined and added along with some grated carrot.
Akki roti prepared using dill leaves is one of the best combination. Even Akki roti is prepared using drumstick leaves . With every combinational greens , you get different taste , but all variations goes well with rice flour.
Mom prepares ultimate akki roti but till date I haven't excelled to her level .But still, you can rely on this recipe to get soft and good roti's. Akki roti tastes better with Coconut Chutney and also with Groundnut Chutney .
Step by step direction to make Masala Akki Roti :
Take water in a wide vessel and keep it on a high flame. When water comes to boil, lower the flame and sprinkle rice flour and salt .
Mix it well with the help of a spatula and add oil to it and mix thoroughly such that there are no lumps.
Close it with a lid and keep it on a sim for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile chop all the greens and onions. Now open the lid again mix and turn off the flame. Once cooled add all the chopped greens, onions, green chilies and cumin seeds to the rice flour mixture.
Knead well into a smooth dough but it should be stiff.
Then take some handful of dough and make balls out of it. If you feel the dough is not stiff enough to make balls . sprinkle little rice flour to make a stiff but smooth dough.
The above mentioned water and rice flour is precise but still at times because of salt and onion it might become little watery. Also quality of flour plays a important role.
Take care of it or else you'll be not able to roll the dough. Now take butter paper or oil cover , smear some oil and place dough ball .
Gently press the dough ball and flatten it . Using hands you can spread it easily into a round roti as thin as you required, if dough is stiff wet your palm and spread.
Alternatively , dust some flour on worktop and roll roti using rolling pin. Also if you can roll roti/bhakri using hands.
Now heat the iron griddle or non stick tawa . When it's hot place the paper plate facing roti side on to the griddle. After a second remove the paper plate gently.
Drizzle some oil/ghee on sides of roti and cook on both sides. It gets cooked within 3 minutes
Serve akki roti with ghee , coconut chutney or with Upsaaru Khara ( authentic Karnataka style spicy chutney )
Images uploaded are from 2 different time. The one in frame has methi leaves and grated carrot in masala roti.
Masala Akki Roti | Rice Flour Roti | Gluten Free Roti
- 1 Cup Rice Flour
- 1 ½ - 1 ¾ Cup Water or as required
- ¾ Cup Dill Leaves or Methi Leaves or Palak
- 1 Big Onion finely Chopped
- 1 Green Chilli Finely Chopped
- 2 Sprigs Curry Leaves Chopped
- 1 no Carrot grated ,optional
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Leaves Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds Optional
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt or as required
- Bring water to boil in a wide open vessel.
- Add Rice flour ,Salt and oil to boiling water . Mix everything thoroughly such that there are no lumps.
- Close it with a lid and keep it on a sim for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and allow it to get warm. Add all the chopped greens, onion ,carrot,green chillies and cumin seeds.
- Mix everything with rice flour and knead well till it's smooth. Pinch dough and make 4-5 balls.
- Dust some flour , using rolling pin, roll 5-6 " inch round roti.
- Heat Iron griddle/ tawa ,Put roti on tawa, cook evenly on both sides by drizzling some oil. Takes 3-4 minutes to cook.
- Amount of water depends on the quality of rice flour, 1 ½ cup water was sufficient for me it may take up to 1 ¾ cup .
- If dough becomes too thin, add some more rice flour . If it becomes tight sprinkle some hot water and knead the dough.
- After adding greens and onions , it does leaves some water. So make a firm dough before adding veggies.