Ragi Banana Smoothie recipe with step by step photos and video. Ragi Banana Smoothie is a tasty breakfast smoothie packed with all essential nutrients . This tasty smoothie gets ready within 10 minutes , perfect for any day and for age groups.
As it is packed with protein , complex carbohydrates and all nutrients , its keeps you full for for long hours with full of energy.
This recipe is developed from Traditional Food Recipes from Ayush Systems of Medicine under Ayushman Bhavva , Ministry of Ayush , Government of India . This post shares the recreated recipe from their recipe repository.
Healthy Benefits of Ragi
Ragi aka Finger Millets are very rich in calcium and it supplies complex carbohydrates and high dietary fiber when compared to other grains like wheat, rice, maize or barley.
Finger millets / Nachni / Ragi is one of the most nutritious cereal. Ragi is very rich in calcium, in fact, no other cereal is even near to ragi with respect to calcium content. Regular consumption of finger millet is good for bone health and keeps diseases such as osteoporosis at bay and could reduce risk of fracture.
Ragi is rich in polyphenols , these nutrients help control blood sugar levels and hyperglycemic tendency found in diabetics. Hence Ragi is considered has a wonder grain for diabetics.
It is also rich in fiber and has lower glycemic response , hence helps in controlling blood sugar levels. It also battles anaemia, reduces the risk of stroke, boosts lactation, increases bone strength, helps in digestion, reduces cholesterol and makes excellent food for baby . Ragi is also gluten free and hence good for people who are allergic to gluten.
This super grain has umpteen benefits when comes to health , so if you are new to this cereal , start adding to your diet. Also if you are suffering from sleep disorders and mood swings , this super grain helps you to overcome this. Ragi contains essential amino acid known as Tryptophan , which goes into making serotonin .
What is Serotonin ? This a chemical in the brain that can affect mood and sleep. Eating foods that contain the essential amino acid tryptophan can help the body to produce more serotonin. Tryptophan, which goes into making serotonin, is commonly found in foods that contains protein and humble ragi falls into this category. Hence its called a super food as this tiny grains is no less than a wonder grain.
Ingredients , pro tips and variations
- Ragi : Ragi Flour or Ragi flakes can be used in this recipe. Though homemade sprouted ragi flour is best here , you can still you regular Ragi flour from stores. If using Ragi flakes , soak in water for 10 minutes and then directly blend with banana. For Ragi Flour , dry roasting flour and cooking is very important for proper digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- Sweetner : In place of jaggery you can use coconut sugar or dates or else you can totally skip sweetner. For diabetics patients , adding sweetner is not recomended as natural sweeetness from banana is sufficient.
- Milk : For Vegan option , you can use Coconut Milk or almond milk or soya milk while blending.
- Flavouring : Instead of Cardamom powder , Vanilla extract or chocolate syrup can be used to flavour.
- Seeds : Though seeds are optional , I highly recommend roasted seeds here not only for crunchiness but also for its nutritional values. As I recommend this recipe mainly for PCOS /PCOD / Weightloss Diet . Alternatively you can also use nuts of your choices.
- Fruit : Banana , Papaya and Apple , any of these fruits or combination of these fruits can be used.
Few regular ragi recipes which you can try at home are :
Step by step directions
Take ¼ cup ragi in a pan
Dry roast Ragi flour on low heat till it turns aromatic or steam starts to escape, it takes approximately 5 minutes.
Add ½ cup of luke warm water
and briskly mix well.
Now add in ½ cup of milk,
stir well and continue to cook on low flame until it slightly thickens and looks like porridge. If you are looking for a vegan option then replace milk with water.
Turn off the stove and set aside for 5 minutes to cool down slightly.
In a blender/ juicer , add 2 ripen banana’s ( preferably chilled ) , cooked ragi porridge ,
200 ml of milk , jaggery and cardamom powder.
Blend well everything together till smooth.
Transfer to a glass, garnish with seeds
Serve Ragi Banana Smoothie for breakfast .
Ragi Banana Smoothie
- ¼ Cup Ragi flour
- ½ Cup water
- 300 ml Milk - divided into 100 ml + 200 ml
- 2 Ripen Banana - Large
- 1.5 tablespoon Organic Jaggery powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 1 tablespoon Mixed Seeds - Optional
- Dry roast Ragi flour on low heat till it turns aromatic or steam starts to escape, it takes approximately 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of luke warm water and briskly mix well.
- Now add in ½ cup of milk, stir well and continue to cook on low flame until it slightly thickens and looks like porridge. If you are looking for a vegan option then replace milk with water.
- Turn off the stove and set aside for 5 minutes to cool down slightly.
- In a blender/ juicer , add 2 ripen banana’s ( preferably chilled ) , cooked ragi porridge , 200 ml of milk , jaggery and cardamom powder.
- Blend well everything together till smooth.
- Transfer to a glass, garnish with seeds and serve as a breakfast smoothie.
- Few studies, contrary say that combination of Milk and Banana as " Viruddh Aahar " in Ayurveda . As it may disrupt Agni ( that is fire : digestion) . But it entirely depends on individuals digestive capabilities.
- Also Banana , Milk and Ghee are added together in Ayurveda for gaining weight . Here I have mentioned this recipe for weightloss , as 1 glass is considered as 1 meal with approx calories of 315 .