Rajma Masala is creamy buttery melt in mouth masala with perfect balance of spices.Here I have shared you the details and directions on how to get a flavourful restaurant style Rajma Masala.
Rajma / Kidney Beans are known for their extraordinary health benefits ,its nothing short of amazing. Adding it in our diet may prove beneficial for weight loss , lowering the cholesterol and also good for diabetics and heart health.
Rajma/ Kidney beans are fully packed of proteins ,complex carbohydrates , low glycemic index and high quantities of folic acid ,manganese ,fiber and other essential nutrients.If you go through any healthy site or speak to any nutritionist/ dietician ,and ask for Vegetarian Protein ,Complex Carbohydrates,Fibre Rich,Low GI .... etc, for all those questions,the only answer is include Beans in your diet,Now here comes Rajma/Kidney beans "King of Beans". So it's a must in our diet .
Apart from health benefits ,taste wise also its delicious.These melt in mouth rajma masala is a daily affair in any punjabi house, as rajma masala originates from proud punjab and its their cuisine.Anything homemade is always Big Yes ,if you want to be really healthy.
Rajma Masala restaurant style recipe is shared here,which is creamy buttery melt in mouth masala with perfect balance of spices with it.Hope you'll find this recipe easy and delicious.
If you are interested , do check other restaurant style recipes shared on blog : Paneer Butter Masala , Shahi Paneer , Palak Paneer , Dry Peas Methi Masala, Channa Masala ,Kolhapuri Egg Masala , Mutton Keema masala.
Recipe Card Rajma Masala
Rajma Masala Restaurant Style
- 1 Cup Rajma /Kidney Beans
- 4 Cup Water - for soaking rajma
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Clovees
- 2 no's Onions Chopped or 1 Cup finely Chopped
- 3 no's Tomatoes or 1 Cup finely Chopped
- 2 no Green Chilly
- 1.5" inch Ginger
- 5 Garlic cloves
- 1 Tsp Jeera Seeds
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¾ Tsp Red Chilly Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ Tsp Jeera Powder
- ½ Tsp Tsp Garam Masala
- ½ Tsp Amchoor powder/Dry Mango powder
- 1 Tbsp Kasuri Methi /Dry Fenugreek
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cream
- 3 Cups Water - for pressure cooking rajma
- 2 Tsp Salt or as required
- Wash Rajma 3-4 times ,and soak in enough water for 8-10 hrs or overnight.
- Next Day,drain water completely ,thoroughly rinse rajma ,drain and keep it aside.
- Take pressure cooker,add bay leaf,cinnamon,cloves ,washed rajma,1 Tbsp butter,salt and water.Pressure cook for 9-10 whilstels.
- Whilst prepare ginger garlic and green chilly paste, chop onions and tomatoes.
- Once pressure releases on its own,drain the stock and reserve it. Discard bay leaf,cloves and cinnamon.
- Gently mash the rajma,keep it aside.
- Heat oil and butter in Kadai ,add jeera seeds allow to splutter.
- Add ginger ,garlic and green chilly paste,chopped onions and fry well till onions start turning brown.
- Add turmeric powder mix well ,add chopped tomatoes and salt ,allow to cook for a 2-3 minutes.
- Add red chilly powder,coriander powder,jeera powder,garam masala ,dry mango powder and mix well.
- Cook tomatoes ,till oil starts releasing from corners.
- Now,add mashed rajma and reserved stock ,bring it to boil
- Put on simmer,close lid and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Add kasuri methi ,Fresh cream ,Mix well and serve.
Step By Step Directions:
1.Wash 1 cup rajma/kidney beans thoroughly,3-4 times.Soak rajma with enough water for 8-9 hrs or overnight.Next day,drain all water,rinse well and keep it aside.
2.Take a pressure cooker,add Bay leaf,cloves and cinnamon and rajma.Add 3 cups of water ,1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tsp rock salt.
3.Pressure cook for 9-10 whistles,let pressure release on its own rajma should be cooked well,melt in mouth.
4.Whilst,make ginger garlic green chilly paste and chop onions and tomotes.
5.Drain the water(stock) cooked from rajma and reserve it for preparing gravy. Discard bay leaf,cloves and cinnamon.
- With help of ladle backside gently mash the kidney beans and keep it aside.
7.Heat oil and butter in a kadai/pan,add jeera seeds and allow to splutter.
8.Add ginger garlic green chilly paste and fry well. Add Onions and fry till brown.
9.Add turmeric powder to onions and fry.
10.Now add chopped tomatoes and salt for quick cooking of tomatoes.
- Add red chilly powder,Coriander powder,jeera powder,garam masala,Dry mango powder/amchoor powder and cook well, till oil starts to release from the edges.
- Now add cooked rajma and stock ,and bring it to boil.
- Once it starts to boil,put it in simmer for 20-30 minutes ,till you get the needed consistency.
- Once done adjust salt and other spices if needed. Add Kasuri methi/Dry fenugreek powder and Fresh cream.
15.Mix well everything,turn of the heat .
Serve Rajma Masala with Jeera Rice, Steamed Basmati rice, Saffron rice,Herbed jeera rice or Roti,Naan ,Lachha Paratha.