Easy Rasgulla recipe with step by step photos and short video. Rasgulla or rashogulla is one of the most popular recipe from Bengal , East India. The main ingredient in preparing Rasgulla is milk. Using a full cream milk gives you the best rasgulla. These snow balls are favorite among many and can be easily prepared at home. Though you can make rasgulla in open pan, I always find it easy to make in pressure cooker. As there will be no monitoring and no worries on the end results.
I often make this dessert at home as this recipe is the key for making many other desserts like Rasmalli , Champakali , Chom Chom , Malai Sandwich and many more. With many trail and errors , finally I hooked up on this recipe to make perfect rasgulla. Here I have clearly mentioned all the steps, tips and techniques so that you can easily attempt to make this delicious rasgulla without fail.
Pro tips to make perfect Rasgulla
- Use full fat milk only for this recipe as the quality and quantity of cheena / panner will be good.
- Ice cubes are very important , as it doesn't allow further cooking and helps to get perfect texture.
- Most importantly , its kneading of cheena/ paneer to make perfect rasgulla . I took good 8 to 10 minutes to knead cheena. It looks like a soft dough once after kneading smooth. Knead on a wide plate with heels of the palm till cheena resembles soft dough. When it starts to release oil and starts to become greasy , stop kneading at that moment.
- Also you can add 1 Tsp of arrowroot powder or maida while kneading cheena. It's upto you to use it . Adding flours helps to bind the rasgulla without loosing its shape while cooking . But I don't like taste of my rasgulla with any flour , hence I haven't used.
- Cooking Rasgulla : You can cook either in an open pan with close lid or pressure cooker. If using open pan once sugar syrup comes to boil , cook for 10-15 minutes on medium heat with lid closed till rasgulla doubles in size. With pressure no monitoring, 1 whistle on medium heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes , rasgulle are ready.
- Rasgulla tastes good when chilled.
If interested , do check my other milk / paneer based desserts on blog are :
Recipe Card For Easy Rasgulla
Easy Rasgulla Recipe
- 1000 ml Full Fat cream Milk
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice / Vinegar
- 2 cup Sugar
- 4 cup Water
- 15-20 Ice cubes
- ½ Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 4-5 Saffron strands - optional
- 2 Rose Water / Kewra drops - optional
- 4 Pista Chopped - optional
- Heat milk in a sauce pan and bring it to boil.
- When it comes to boil, add lemon juice or vinegar.
- Stir well and simmer the flame. Heat further to curdle milk completely and let whey water separates with chhena / crumbled milk / paneer.
- Put off the flame, for this add ice cubes (ice cubes are added to get those perfect texture) .
- Take a strainer, line with a muslin cloth, pour the curdled milk and wash well with cold water to remove the sourness of lemon juice.
- Squeeze out excess water, keep any heavy object on the chhena / paneer wrapped cloth and keep aside for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove cloth and take out chhena .
- Keep chhena / paneer on a wide plate. Make sure there is no moisture in the paneer.
- Knead well to get smooth dough.
- Make smooth balls of desired size and set aside. I got around 15 balls of medium size.
- In a pressure cooker add water, sugar and cardamom powder bring it to boil.
- Once sugar dissolves completely and sugar syrup starts to boil, add few drops of rose / kewra water (optional).
- Add prepared balls carefully one by one.
- Close the lid and cook for one whistle on a medium flame. Alternatively, cook in any pan on medium heat for about 12- 15 minutes with lid closed. Till rasgulla doubles in size.
- After 1 whistle keep in simmer for 3-4 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Allow pressure to release on its own. Once pressure is released open the lid, rasgulla's would have doubled in size.
- Allow it to cool down completely.
- Serve soft and spongy Rasgulla's chilled.
- Ice cubes are added to get that perfect texture.
- Make sure there is no water content in chhena before kneading.
- Kneading it to a smooth dough, is most important to get that smooth good looking rasgulla.
- Refrigerating paneer for 1-2 hrs, this is an optional step but it's foolproof ,as it avoids cracking/breaking of chhena balls when put in hot sugar syrup.
Step by Step directions to make Rasgulla in pressure cooker
After getting smooth dough , spread the dough in plate , bring small size of dough in fingers , rub to plate and make balls. Then shape into balls using hands( refer video) . Make smooth balls of desired size and set aside. I got around 15 balls of medium size.
Serve soft and spongy Rasgulla's chilled.