Bellada anna is a traditional sweet rice made with rice , jaggery , fresh coconut and /or optional lentils ( split chickpea lentils) . Apart from being tasty this is very nutritious and can be served as a breakfast or as a part of any meal.
It takes less than 30 minutes to make this recipe in a one pot or pressure cooker. You can also pack in bento boxes.
This jaggery rice dish is a main component on many religious festivals and rituals in South India. It is also distributed as Prasasam in Temples across South India.
About this recipe
In Kannada language , Bella means jaggery and anna means rice ,direct translation to English means Jaggery Rice . This bellada anna (jaggery rice ) is a South Indian style of jaggery rice , however there is a different version of Jaggery Rice (Gud ke chawal )from North regions of India.
Consitency of this bellada anna is more like a pongal . It's texture looks like that of a thick porridge. Where as North Indian Gud ke chawal(Jaggery Rice) is a fluffy , with sticky seperated rice grains.
Bellada anna is most popular recipe in South Indian , every house has their own style and uniqueness to make jaggery rice . This recipe of bellada anna is my mom's recipe with chana dal , jaggery , ghee and rice.
Few make jaggery rice with or without chana dal ( split chickpea lentil ) . But I prefer to add lentils into this as it adds creamy texture and enhance taste of the rice.
Preparing bellada anna needs less time with very less preparations and minimal ingredients.
You must try this recipe as it is
- Simple to make
- Quick and Easy
- Healthy and nutritious
- Tasty and Delicious
You need few basic ingredients that are readily available in any Indian Kitchen to make this recipe.
Chana Dal ( Split Chickpeas ) - Lentils are use to make this bellada anna. If you don't have then you can skip it also. I prefer to add this because it gives a creamy texture and tastes good when you get it in between while eating.
Rice - You can use any variety of rice to make this bellada anna. As rice grain need not be sepearted and also it becomes slightly mushy . I use short grain rice to make this rice.
Ghee / Clarified Butter - Adds lot of taste to jaggery rice. If you are a vegan then you can always use coconut oil instead of ghee.
Jaggery - I always use organic powdered jaggery . But , traditionally jaggery blocks are used to make this rice. Jaggery blocks are crushed into pieces , soaked in water and gently boiled until jaggery dissloves completely . Then jaggery syrup is filtered to remove impurities and filtered jaggery syrup is used in the recipe. You can use whichever is available.
Coconut - It's one of the important ingredient in this rice ,so don't miss out to use this in the recipe. If fresh coconut is not availble then you can use dessicated coconut or dry coconut as a substitue.
Saffron Milk - I add saaffron soaked milk here as it is considered auspicious in religious rituals . But you can always skip , as saffron and milk both are optional ingredients here in this recipe.
Cardamom- I use freshly pound green cardamom powder to flavour this jaggery rice. make this recipe.
Others - Rasinis , Cashews , Cloves are used , along with required amount of water to make this recipe.
How to make Bellada Anna
Rinse well chana dal for 3-4 times and soak for minimum 30 minutes. But , I always soak lentils for good 3 to 6 hrs as it helps to reduce it's antinutrient properties.
Rinse well rice and soak for 10 -15 minutes. Drain water and keep it aside.
In a pressure cooker, heat 1.5 tablespoon ghee .Add raisins and cashews ,fry till golden and set it aside.
In to the same pressure cooker , add cloves, chana dal , rice and coconut , fry on low flame for about 3- 4 minutes till water content evaporates completely .
Now add 2 cups of hot water and pressure cook for 2 whistles on a medium flame. Allow pressure to settle down on its own.
Once pressure settles, open the lid and add powdered jaggery , grated fresh coconut , saffron soaked milk and mix well.
Regulate flame to low and cook for about 3-4 minutes until jaggery melts completely.
Check for the consistency , if it is too thick you can thin it out by adding ½ -1 cup of water. Beladda anna consistency will be similar to pongal consistency .
Once it reaches the desired consistency , turn off the stove. Add fried cashews , raisins , cardamom powder and remaining 1.5 tablespoon of ghee.
Stir well everything and serve hot or warm.
Bellada Anna -Jaggery Rice Recipe (South India)
- ¼ Cup Chana Dal ( Split Chickpeas ) - de skinned
- ½ Cup Rice - any variety
- 3 tablespoon Ghee / Clarified Butter - divided into 1.5 + 1.5 Tbsp
- 1 tablespoon Raisins
- 1 tablespoon Cashews - split
- 2 no's Cloves
- ¾ Cup Jaggery Powder ( use as required)
- ½ Cup Fresh Coconut - (divided into ¼ + ¼ cup each)
- ½ Cup Milk warm - optional
- 2.5 Cups Water (adjust if required)
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 1 Pinch saffron strands - optional
- 1 Pinch Edible Camphor - if available
- Rinse well chana dal for 3-4 times.
- Soak for minimum 30 minutes or upto 3 hours. Soak rice for 30 minutes.
- Drain water and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, Heat 1.5 tablespoon ghee, add raisins and cashews ,fry till golden and set aside.
- In the same pressure cooker , add cloves , chana dal , fresh coconut (¼ cup) and rice , fry on low flame for about 3-4 minutes till water content evaporates completely .
- Now add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Allow pressure to settle down on its own.
- Once pressure settles, open the lid. Add powdered jaggery , grated coconut ¼ cup
- Mix well , everything . Regulate flame to low and cook for about 3-4 minutes , until jaggery dissolves and mix well with rice.
- Now add in saffron soaked milk ( optional ) and cardamom powder . Mix well everything. If you find it thick , you can add little hot water to thin it out.
- Turn off the stove. Add fried cashews , rasins and remaining 1.5 tablespoon of ghee / clarified butter .
- Mix well everything and serve hot or warm.
- I have used ¾ cup of powdered jaggery. You can increasse or decreasse sweetness as per your taste.
- Edible camphor wasnt available with me hence I have not added , Adding pinch of it enhaces the taste.
- Adding Saffron milk is optional , traditionally it is ot added . You can add if you wish.