Dates Kheer - is a thick , creamy and delicious nutty flavored dessert with goodness of natural sweet plum dates.
Dates Kheer aka Khajoor Ki Kheer is one of my favourite dessert. It's easy to make delicious and healthy dessert with no added sweetener.
This has become my healthy swap for other types of sugar added kheer at home.
About this recipe
To make this Dates Kheer, first soak dates in little warm milk or water .Secondly blend to a fine paste , saute with little ghee . I have added soaked cashews and almonds paste here to make it little thick .You can reduce the amount of cashews and almonds here, if you wish.
This Dates Kheer is rich ,creamy and bit thicker .You can alter the amount of milk to make it more thin. You can serve this dessert during fasting to get instant energy. I also make this whenever I have cravings for sweet because I consider this as a healthy swap for other sugared desserts.
Health Benefits of Dates
Dates are rich source of iron and a great blood purifier too . It's also helps in maintaining our bone health and bone density. Its Vitamin C and D works on your skin elasticity which gives you anti-ageing benefits.
As it's rich in iron,protein and gives instant energy it said to be one of the best snack.Once after your gym workout grab 3-4 dates,its protein keeps your muscle strong and gives you energy instantly. So it's good to eat dates in small quantity regularly.
Make sure to add 2-4 dates in your diet ,regularly . May be as a first meal of your day or for snacking ,dates are best. For fussy kids ,try to make them eat in any form like kheer ,dates halwa , granola bars , Moringa dates laddu , smoothies and more.
To make this delciious dessert , you need few basic dry fruits and nuts.
Dates - Use dry yet soft variety of dark brown dates, which is naturally sweet on its own.But you can use any variety of dates we need to soak in milk.
Nuts - I have used cashews and almonds paste in this recipe to give richness and thickness to kheer. I highly recommend to use both nuts, if not available you can add either cahews or almonds. Along with it for garnishing and taste , I have used Pistachios and Chironji . If Chironji is not available , you can just skip it.
Milk - I prefer using full fat cream milk , having said so you can even use low fat milk too . For vegan version , Almond milk works better in this recipe.
Sweetner - It's upto your choice to add extra sugar in the recipe. I prefer to add because the sweetness from dates and sugar are different and I love the sweetness from sugar as it helps to balance the sharp sweetness from dates and blends well.
Clarified Butter / Ghee - This is my prime choice to make dessert . For vegan verion go for coconut oil , It works great.
Flavouring - Nothing can pops out the flavours as freshly pound cardamom powder in this recipe.
Optional Add On's - If you want to try , add 2 tablespoon of Dessicate coconut , it tastes great too.
How to make Dates Kheer Recipe
First deseed dates , roughly cut into small pieces.
Soak dates in ½ cup of warm milk for about 20 minutes.
Take about 8-10 cashews and almonds and soak in warm water for 20 minutes.Peel the almond skin.
In a blender , add soaked dates and blend to a smooth paste ,add little milk (used for soaking ) if needed.
Processed dates to make smooth paste
Add soaked cashews, almonds to a blender
Blend to smooth paste using milk (used for soaking ),set aside.
Heat 1.5 tablespoon of ghee in kadai / pan , add dates paste and saute for a 2-3 minutes.
Add 3 cups of boiled and cooled milk to dates paste
mix well everything and bring to boil.
Add cashew and almonds paste,
stir well and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
Turn off heat , add Chironji , cardamom powder or milk masala powder.
Taste dessert, if you need dessert to be more sweet , add 1-2 tablespoon of sugar , mix well.
You can serve this delicious dates kheer either hot or warm.
Dates Kheer | Khajoor Ki Kheer
- 20 no's Dates or 175 grams deseeded dates
- 3.5 to 4 Cups Milk
- 10 no's Cashews
- 10 no's Almonds
- 1.5 tablespoon Desi Ghee / Clarified Butter
- ¼ teaspoon Cardamom Powder or Milk Masala Powder
- 1.5 tablespoon Chironji / Charoli Seeds
- 1-2 Tbsp Sugar - Optional
- First deseed dates , roughly cut into small pieces.
- Soak dates in ½ cup of warm milk for about 20 minutes.
- Take about 8-10 cashews and almonds and soak in warm water for 20 minutes.Peel the almond skin.
- In a blender , add soaked dates and blend to a smooth paste ,add little milk (used for soaking ) if needed.
- Add soaked cashews, almonds to a blender and blend to smooth paste using milk(used for soaking ),set aside.
- Heat 1.5 tablespoon of ghee in kadai / pan , add dates paste and saute for 3-5 minutes. Till moisture goes off and dates slightly thickens.
- Add 3 cups of boiled and cooled milk to dates paste , mix well everything and bring to boil.
- Add cashew and almonds paste, stir well and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Turn off heat , add Chironji , cardamom powder or milk masala powder. Taste dessert,if you need dessert to be more sweet , add 1-2 tablespoon of sugar , mix well.
- Serve dates Kheer hot or warm.