Ever wondered how to make Oat milk at home, which is non slimy and creamy? This post shares one of the best oat milk recipe.
This Oat milk is delicious, creamy and dairy-free milk. It’s super easy to make, creamy and smooth with a yummy oat-y flavor . To make this recipe , all you need are oats, ice cold water, cashews , a blender and few minutes !
This creamy milk has right amount of sweetness and it's perfect for adding to coffee, smoothies , baking recipes & more!
I have included all tips on how to make a non slimy Oats milk , take your time to go through the details to make a good batch of creamy and smooth oats milk.
About this recipe
Oat milk has surged in popularity over last couple of years because it is one of the non-dairy , plant based milk. Also it's perfect for those with lactose intolerance and for people with nut allergies.
In this oat milk recipe , I have used cashews for a creamier taste but if you allergic to nuts then you can skip adding this.
Home made oat milk is non-frothy , so this recipe always works well with cold beverages, smoothies and baked products than in hot beverages. Where as, store bought oat milk has preservatives and thickening agents , which helps to froth up.
Also ,don’t heat Oat milk as it may turn slimy. It leaves an oatmeal-like film at the bottom of your pot when you heat it up. So don't heat oat milk directly .
This post shares flavorless Oats milk recipe , as it can be used in various other recipe. But if you wish you can surely add sweetener and flavors while serving or while making.
Also ,oats milk tastes best when it's chilled . So you can make a large batch of it and store in fridge for up to 5 days.
Let me show you how to make oat milk with a few tips and tricks to create the perfect consistency.
Oats - Rolled oats are the best for making oats milk . Quick Oats ( instant oats ) are too processed so it creates more slime and steel cut oats are not processed enough to extract milk easily. So choose rolled oats over any other oats for best results.
Ice Cold Water - Yessss , to make a non slimy oats milk , always use ice cold water. Heat can make the oats more starchy and gummy. So either use ice cold water or swap a cup of water for ice cubes when blending.
Cashews ( optional) - to make it more creamier , I prefer to add soaked cashews . You can use or skip it totally.
Other Add-ons -You can add pinch of sea salt , dates ( or maple syrup) and vanilla essence to flavor up.
Tips to make non-slimy oat milk
These are few sure shot tips that worked for me to make a perfect consistency , non slimy milk.
- Always use ice cold water- Heat can make the oats more starchy and gummy. So either use ice cold water or swap a cup of water for ice cubes when blending.
- Don’t over blend: if you blend the ingredients too long they’ll start to warm, so don't blend for more than 45 seconds . Blend - stop - add ice cold water and repeat .
- Strain well: strain milk through mesh lined with muslin cloth , twice to make sure there are no sediments.
- Don’t over squeeze the cloth : as you’re straining and squeezing the milk through cloth , you need to be gentle if you over do it , you'll be squeezing out more of the starchy compounds into the milk.
How to make Oat Milk
Blend all the ingredients.- Into a blender , add oats, soaked cashews, 1 cup of ice cold water, and any additional sweeteners ( if adding)
Blend for 1 minute on high and stop.
Now add another ½ cup of ice cold water and process for 30-45 seconds . Again add remaining ice cold water and continue to process until smooth.
Strain the mixture - line a strainer with a muslin cloth ( or use nut milk bag) or thin towel over a large mixing bowl or pitcher and strain milk. You’ll want to double strain the mixture to make sure all the sediment is removed.
Transfer to a sealed container and store it in the fridge.
How to make Oat Milk Recipe
- ¾ cup Rolled Oats
- 8-10 no's Whole cashews , soaked
- 2 cups Ice cold water
- Blend all the ingredients.- Into a blender , add oats, soaked cashews, 1 cup of ice cold water, and any additional sweeteners ( if adding)
- Blend for 1 minute on high and stop. Now add another ½ cup of ice cold water and process for 30-45 seconds .
- Again add remaining ice cold water and continue to process until smooth.
- Strain the mixture - line a strainer with a muslin cloth ( or use nut milk bag) or thin towel over a large mixing bowl or pitcher and strain milk. You’ll want to double strain the mixture to make sure all the sediment is removed.
- Transfer to a sealed container and store it in the fridge.
How to store Oat Milk
After it’s blended and strained, pour the oat milk into an airtight jar or mason jars. Then store it in the fridge for up to a week. Note: Milk will separate in the fridge and this is quite normal. Just give it a good stir before serving , it will be perfectly fine.
Which are the ways to use Oats milk
Use it in smoothies , baked goods or cold beverages. But it’s not the best option for hot beverages as it may thicken up and become slimy.
What to do with left over oat pulp?
Use it to scrub you face , its a great exfoliator . Also oats pulp is great for your plants in garden !