Khara Pongal is one the simplest and comfort breakfast recipe in South India. Pongal is prepared mainly with Split moong dal and rice. Sweet and Spicy are the 2 different versions of pongal that are mainly seen. Khara Pongal is a spicy version of pongal .There are 2 different methods used for making spicy version of Pongal , one is Ven Pongal other is Khara Pongal . I’ll Share you the other varieties of pongal soon.
This type of Khara Pongal , is normally seen in restaurants and also makes it appearance in breakfast menu of most of the South Indian wedding ceremonies. For this Pongal , roasted cumin seeds and black peppercorns are used. Also few uses tamarind juice or milk in preparing Khara Pongal. These are just the slight differences that are made for this original recipe.
Other Variant , Ven Pongal is what we get in Temples as prasad during “Dhanur Masa” as per Hindu Calendar . Dhanurmasa falls from mid December to mid January ,till Sankranti. Where early morning pooja will be performed around Peepal Tree in a temple and have Ven Pongal also known as ghee pongal as prasad.
I’m not a fan of Pongal but I often prepare this as it consumes very less time. Had few requests from my readers for Khara Pongal hence I’m here with the recipe. Though the name says spicy pongal, it’s not so. It’s just the name given to differentiate between sweet pongal.
Finally serve Khara pongal Hot with Coconut chutney.
RECIPE CARD FOR KHARA PONGAL
- 1/2 Cup Split Moong Dal
- 1/2 Cup Regular rice
- 1 Tsp Green chillies ,finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Ginger ,grated
- 1/2 Cup Dry coconut , grated
- 4 Tbsp Oil
- 5 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 -2 Tsp Salt or as required
Dry Roast Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp Jeera /cumin seeds
- 3/4 Tsp Black peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 3/4 Tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Cashews pieces
- 2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- 1 Big Pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- 2 no Dry red Chillies , Broken.
- Wash and soak rice for 10 minutes,drain and keep it aside.Wash Moong dal and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat 2 Tbsp of oil and fry moong dal lightly for a 1-2 minutes, for this add rice and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add grated ginger and finely chopped green chillies, also add pinch of turmeric powder.
- Mix everything well and add 5 1/2 cups of water and salt to taste. Pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Dry roast Black peppercorns and cumin seeds. Coarsely powder it in a mortar and pestle and set aside.
- Once pressure is released on its own, add the above coarsely grounded powder and mix well. Adjust water if it’s too thick.
- For Tempering, Heat ghee in tadka pan and remaining oil, add mustard seeds and black peppercorns.
- Once it crackles, keep flame on sim, add cashews,dry red chilli, asafoetida,jeera seeds and curry leaves and fry well.
- Pour tadka over the pongal, add copra/dry coconut mix well.
- Keep on a medium heat and allow to cook for 4-5 Minutes.
- Serve it super hot with coconut chutney.
Step by Step Directions for making of Khara Pongal :
Dry roast Black peppercorns and cumin seeds. Coarsely powder it in a mortar and pestle.
Once pressure is released on its own, add the above coarsely grounded powder and mix well. Adjust water if it’s too thick.
Once it crackles , turn the flame to sim, add cashews,dry red chilli , asafoetida,jeera seeds and curry leaves and fry well.
Pour tadka over the pongal, add copra/dry coconut mix well.
Keep on a medium heat and allow to cook for 4-5 Minutes.
Serve it super hot with coconut chutney.