Khara Pongal Recipe with step by step directions and short video. Pongal - is a popular South Indian Breakfast prepared using split moong dal ,rice and coconut.
Khara pongal is served hot along with coconut chutney and ghee . Also duo combination of khara pongal is sweet pongal also known as sakkarai pongal , which is usually made during sankranti / pongal festival.
Also one more variant of Khara pongal is Huggi Anna , which is popular in Karnataka. Its made during Pongal festival . Though ingredients in Huggi anna are almost same as khara pongal with slight variations , the consistency of thr rice and preparation methods are slightly different. If you are looking for sankranti recipe then be sure to find best huggi anna recipe here.
About this recipe
Khara pongal is one the simplest and comfort breakfast recipe in South India.Pongal is prepared mainly with split moong dal and rice. Sweet and Spicy are the 2 different versions of pongal that are mainly seen. Khara Pongal is a spicy version of pongal .There are 2 different methods used for making spicy version of Pongal , one is Ven Pongal other is Khara Pongal . I’ll share you the other varieties of pongal soon.
This type of Khara Pongal , is normally seen in restaurants and also it's a breakfast menu in most of the South Indian wedding ceremonies. For this Pongal , roasted cumin seeds and black peppercorns are used. Also few uses tamarind juice or milk in preparing Khara Pongal. These are just the slight variations that are made to this original recipe.
Other Variant , Ven Pongal is what we get in Temples as prasad during “Dhanur Masa” as per Hindu Calendar . Dhanurmasa falls from mid December to mid January ,till Sankranti. Where early morning pooja will be performed around Peepal Tree in a temple and have Ven Pongal also known as ghee pongal as prasad.
I'm not a fan of Pongal but I often prepare this as it consumes very less time. Had few requests from my readers for Khara Pongal hence I’m here with the recipe. Though the name says spicy pongal, it’s not so. It’s just the name given to differentiate between Sweet pongal or Sakkare Pongal. Serve Khara pongal hot with ghee and Coconut chutney.
Checkout the video
- Pulses : Split Yellow Moong Dal is the main ingredient in Khara Pongal
- Rice : Any variety of rice can be used ,as pongal has porridge consistency , no specific variety of rice is required here.
- Produce : Green chillies , Ginger, curry leaves and dry coconut are used in this recipe.
- Fat : Ghee / Clarified Butter is used as it brings out all flavours . Though yo can use any flavourless cooking oil , ghee is highly recomended.
- Spices : Cumin and Blackpepper are must , as all flavours are from these spices. Other spices includes tempering ingredients like mustard seeds , cashews,turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Others : Water about 5.5 cups is used in this recipe. Salt as required.
Step by Step Directions to make Khara Pongal :
Wash and soak rice for 10 minutes,drain and keep it apart.Wash Moong dal and keep it aside.
For Tempering, heat ghee in tadka pan and remaining oil, add mustard seeds and black peppercorns.
Once it crackles , turn the flame to sim, add cashews,dry red chilli , asafoetida,jeera seeds and curry leaves and fry well. Pour tadka over the pongal, add copra/dry coconut mix well.Keep on a medium heat and allow to cook for 4-5 Minutes.
- ½ Cup Split Moong Dal
- ½ Cup Regular Rice
- 1 Tsp Green chillies ,finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Ginger ,grated
- ½ Cup Dry coconut , grated
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 5 ½ Cup Water
- 1 ½ -2 Tsp Salt or as required
Dry Roast Powder
- 1 ½ Tsp Jeera /cumin seeds
- ¾ Tsp Black peppercorns
- 3 Tbsp Ghee / Clarified Butter
- ½ Tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ Tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Cashews pieces
- 2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- 1 Big Pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- 2 no Dry red Chillies , Broken.
- Wash and soak rice for 10 minutes,drain and keep it aside.Wash Moong dal and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat 2 Tbsp of oil and fry moong dal lightly for a 1-2 minutes, for this add rice and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add grated ginger and finely chopped green chillies, also add pinch of turmeric powder.
- Mix everything well and add 5 ½ cups of water and salt to taste. Pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Dry roast Black peppercorns and cumin seeds. Coarsely powder it in a mortar and pestle and set aside.
- Once pressure is released on its own, add the above coarsely grounded powder and mix well. Adjust water if it’s too thick.
- For Tempering, Heat ghee in tadka pan and remaining oil, add mustard seeds and black peppercorns.
- Once it crackles, keep flame on sim, add cashews,dry red chilli, asafoetida,jeera seeds and curry leaves and fry well.
- Pour tadka over the pongal, add copra/dry coconut mix well.
- Keep on a medium heat and allow to cook for 4-5 Minutes.
- Serve it super hot with coconut chutney.