Onion Raita is one of the most basic , simple and popular yogurt based accompaniment that goes well with any Indian meal. It is tasty and gets ready under 5 minutes .
Raita is a part of Indian meal ; be it a pulao , paratha or roti , it is one of the most loved and comforting accompaniment .
About this recipe
Onion Raita is a spiced yogurt with onions and cucumbers . It is made using fresh yogurt, crunchy onions , spices and herbs.
Raita is cooling in nature , you can make this in summer or anytime. It comes together in less than 5 minutes ,
Serve fresh Onion raita as a side dish with any Indian meals . I prefer to serve this onion ka raita with Chicken pulao , Donne biryani or Vegetable bath or goes well with any kind of Indian flat breads meal.
This onion ka raita is
- Easy to make
- Tastes delicious
- Need just 5 minutes
Onion – I use red Onions, you can use white onions too make this recipe.
Yogurt – I always prefer to use homemade curds as it will be creamy , thick and has natural probiotics. You can use any thick plain yogurt or Greek yogurt to make this raita.
Others- Flavor raita with sugar, cumin powder, green chilies, and cilantro (fresh coriander leaves). Using sugar balances the peppery taste of red onions . Adjust green chillies as per your taste.
Whenever I serve raita with any kind of pulao , I like to keep it simple . Hence I didn't use tempering, If serving with any kind of flat breads , I highly recommend to give tadka as it elevates the taste.
Tempering - You can give basic tempering in vegetable oil with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dry red chillies.
How to make mooli raita
Peel cucumber , onion outer dry skin and rinse well. Finely chop onions , cucumbers , green chilies , cilantro and set aside.
To make Raita
Into a mixing bowl, add chilled curds and whisk well until smooth and creamy.
Add chaat masala powder, red chilli powder , cumin powder, salt , sugar and give a stir.
Mix well everything, make sure sugar crystals dissolves .
Now add finely chopped onions, cucumber , green chillies , coriander leaves ,
Mix well everything. Serve onoin raita with Chicken Biryani or Pulao.
Add salt just before serving Raita , this way onion does not release its juices making raita watery.
Onion Raita Recipe
- ½ cup onions chopped
- ¼ cup cucumber chopped
- 1 cup thick curds
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ green chilli chopped - optional
- 2 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Into a mixing bowl, add chilled curds and whisk well until smooth.
- Add chaat masala powder, red chilli powder , cumin powder, salt , sugar , and give a stir.
- Now add finely chopped onions, cucumber , green chillies ( if adding ) , coriander leaves , mix well everything.
- Serve onion raita with Pulao’s or Biryani.
- Ad salt just before serving , as salt with onions releases water and raita becomes thin.
- Left overs are not recommended to store as sugar, salt and curds reacts soon and tastes sours. It starts to ferment when yogurt is mixed with salt and sugar.
Can I store the leftovers?
No , I don't recommend . When salt , sugar and curds comes in contact , it starts to turn sour fast. As this raita tastes bests when served fresh .