Vegetable Bath is a spicy and tasty rice dish cooked with assorted vegetables , fresh coconut and spices . It's popular in Karnataka , South India. Get's ready in 30 minutes and tastes good when had with simple onion raita .
My version of vegetable bath is simple to make ,it's one pot recipe and best to pack for lunch box .
About this recipe
Vegetable bath also popular as rice bath is a native recipe of Karnataka, South India . This recipe is quite similar to Vegetable Pulao. Vegetables like Carrot , Beans , Potato , Cabbage and green peas are used to make this tasty rice bath . This is a one pot recipe and is one of the best lunch box recipe.
Though every house has their own proportion and choices of spices , this recipe is subtle on spices , melds well with other co-existing vegetables and ingredients to bring out the best fluffy and tasty vegetable rice bath .
Why you need to try this recipe?
I want you to try this recipe because it is tasty , easy to make and healthy too. Assorted vegetables of your choice can be used .
And most importantly like many rice dishes , excess oil /fat is not used in this recipe still it tastes the best !
Though rice bath of any kind needs bit more oil , I have tried to give a minimum required amount of Oil and Clarified butter here.
As using little more will definitely enhance taste , it adds lot on calories too . So without being partial on taste nor health, I have tried to use the right amount here.
Using less oil in the recipe may make you feel dryness in the rice and more may grease your plates along with helping you to increase your waistline.
So with the right measurements given you can cautiously make changes depending on whether its a occasional indulgence or a regular dining.
Most of the Karnataka based recipes makes use of fresh coconut . If you have no access to fresh coconut then you can soak dry coconut in warm milk or water for 30 minutes and use it . Alternatively you can even use coconut milk , but it slightly differs in taste.
What I like most about this Vegetable bath is, it is a main meal and can be served either for weekend brunch , lunch and gatherings.
We even prepare this as one of the dish during family and friends gatherings at home. As it is easy to cook and one pot recipe , it is common in gatherings just like any other Pulao and Biryani's.
How to make Vegetable Bath
Rinse and wash 2 cups of rice , soak it in water for 20- 30 minutes.
Meanwhile , do the preparations like cutting vegetables and blend masala.
For masala paste , add fresh grate coconut ½ cup , 4 cloves , 1 inch cinnamon stick , coriander leaves , turmeric powder , ginger ,garlic , green cardamom , green chillies , cumin seeds and saunf . Blend to a coarse paste by adding 2-3 tablespoon of water.
Heat 1 Tbsp ghee/ clarified butter and 3 Tbsp oil in a pressure pan or any deep pan/pot . Add 2 tablespoon chopped mint leaves .
Now add chopped onions and fry till it turns translucent.
Add in 1 cup of chopped methi leaves and saute till it wilts.
Add blended masala paste and mix well . Allow it to cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes . Cook masala well till you get nice aroma and oil starts to release from the corners.
Add in fresh green peas ( or overnight soaked dry green peas) and mix well.
Now add all roughly chopped vegetables and mix well.
Add 1 chopped tomato and stir in .Add ½ teaspoon salt .
Drain soaked rice and add in to the vegetables , stir well and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes .
Now add hot water, salt 1.5 teaspoon or as per taste and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
Allow pressure to settle down on its own. If you cooking in an open pot , close the lid and cook till done.
Add chopped coriander leaves , lemon juice
add1 tablespoon of ghee , mix well.
Serve hot with cucumber raita or any other raita of your choice. In frame, vegetable bath along with cucumber raita and beetroot pachadi.
Vegetable Bath - Rice Bath Recipe
- 2 cups Rice , any old age rice
- 2 no's Medium size onion
- 1 no Large Carrot or ⅓ cup carrots diced
- 12-15 no's French green beans or ⅓ cup beans chopped
- ⅔ cup Cabbage
- ½ cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 cup fresh fenugreek leaves ,optional
- 1 no large tomato chopped , optional
- 2 tablespoon Chopped mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp Coriander leaves
- 1.5 - 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Ghee/ clarified butter
- 3 tablespoon Oil
- 2 teaspoon Salt or as required
- 3.5 cups Hot water , see notes
For Blending Masala
- ½ cup fresh coconut , see notes
- ⅓ cup coriander leaves
- 2 inch ginger
- 12-15 garlic cloves , medium size
- ½ teaspoon jeera/ cumin seeds
- 2 no green cardamom
- ½ tsp saunf / fennel seeds
- 4 no cloves
- 1 ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 6-8 no green chilli , less spice variant
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Rinse and wash 2 cups of rice , soak it in water for 20- 30 minutes.
- Whilst cut vegetables and blend masala
- For masala paste , add fresh grate coconut ½ cup , 4 cloves , 1 inch cinnamon stick , coriander leaves , turmeric powder , ginger ,garlic , green cardamom , green chillies , cumin seeds and saunf . Blend to a coarse paste by adding 2-3 tablespoon of water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee/ clarified butter and 3 tablespoon oil in a pressure pan or any deep pan/pot . Add 2 tablespoon chopped mint leaves .
- Now add chopped onions and fry till it turns translucent.
- Add in 1 cup of chopped methi leaves and saute till it wilts.
- Add blended masala paste and mix well . Allow it to cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes .
- Cook masala well till you get nice aroma and oil starts to release from the corners.
- Add in fresh green peas ( or overnight soaked dry green peas) and mix well.
- Now add all roughly chopped vegetables and mix well.
- Add 1 chopped tomato and mix well. Also add ½ teaspoon salt
- Drain soaked rice and add in to the vegetables , stir well and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes .
- Now add hot water and pressure cook for 1 whistle. Add 1.5 teaspoon , allow pressure to settle down on its own. If you cooking in an open pot , close the lid and cook till done.
- Open the lid , add chopped coriander leaves , lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of ghee , mix well.
- Serve hot with cucumber raita or any other raita of your choice.
- If fresh coconut is not available then you can soak dry coconut soak in warm milk or water for 30 minutes and use.
- Or else you can even use , coconut milk . ½-3/4 cup of coconut milk can be used. Add coconut milk after , rice is added and before water .
- If using coconut milk then adjust the amount of water accordingly to cook rice.
- As pressure cooker is used here for cooking rice , 3.5 cups of water is sufficient. As masala and vegetables also has water content.
- You can also reduce the amount of green chillies to 4 and add ½ teaspoon of red chilli powder and ½ teaspoon of coriander powder ,while blending the masala.
Thanks for the Authentic Recipe Muktha 👍
Perfect recipe. Turns out great every single time. One small correction: in the instructions I did not find timing of the salt.
I’m glad . Thanks for letting me know, I’ll add it. Made it in video but forgot to write
This is amazing and Thanks for Sharing.