Donne Biryani is a spicy, aromatic pulao style biryani made with short grain rice (seeraga samba rice ) , special blend of spices and herbs. This is a famous Biryani native of Bangalore , Karnataka . As biryani is served in "Donne” , hence the name Donne Biryani .
Serve Donne Biryani with Coriander Chicken Gravy , boiled eggs , Onion raita and wedges of lemon and onion .
This post shares have images clicked on different occasion and updated . As my original recipe was published in Jan 2014. Over the period of time , recipe has been updated for betterment.
What is Donne Biryani?
Unlike authentic Biryani, this biryani is not layered nor rice is cooked separately . This is very similar to preparing any Pulao but its cooked with mutton/chicken stock.
In Bangalore there is a restaurant known as Shivaji Military Hotel and it is said that , Donne Biryani was their own creation. It is popularly known as “Banashankari Donne Biryani” .
But the restaurant is very small and over crowded all time. So I often opt for take away from this place.
After tasting Donne Briyani from Shivaji Military Hotel often and trying lot many times I finally hooked up to with this recipe which tastes very close Banshankari Donne Biryani. So I can call tis as a copycat recipe.
Though list of ingredients looks lengthy , its more of spices which are readily available in any Indian Kitchen , short grain rice known as seeraga samba rice ( jeera rice ) , chicken or mutton and few herbs.
Check this image for ingredients used to make donne biryani.
Tips and Variations
- You can make donne biryani with either Chicken or Mutton.
- Though there is no Veg Donne Biryani , you can still try it with mixed vegetables by reducing spices ( as vegetables , don't require so much amount of spices ) and keeping the ingredients and basic cooking procedure same.
- Main flavor to this biryani comes from spice and herbs blend , try to use all the mentioned spices from the ingredient list to get a authentic taste.
- In fact , Mutton Donne Biryani will me more flavorsome in comparison with Chicken Biryani.
Below image is recently picture which I shot during making Donne Biryani Video.
You may also like
How to make Donne Biryani :
Soak ½ kilo Jeera rice /samba rice for 30 minutes , drain water and set aside. Jeera rice is a short grain rice with its own aroma.
Whilst in a pan /pot , add oil , ghee and fry all the whole spices listed under " grinding". Add ginger paste ( or 2 inch ginger) , garlic paste ( or garlic cloves 20- 22 ), onions 3 no's medium size ,fry till raw smell vanishes.
Add green chilies 6-8 no's , depending on the spice . Preferably add spice variant green chilies and fry well. Finally add Mint and Coriander leaves saute for a minute . Allow it to cool.
Meanwhile, in a pressure Cooker or a pot ,add 1 teaspoon of oil ,add some whole spices , marinated chicken , stir well and cook for 6-8 minutes add 3.5 cups of water, 1 teaspoon salt and bring to boil till chicken is cooked or alternatively , can pressure cook for 1 whistle .
Once pressure is released ,separate cooked chicken and stock ( water).
To make biryani
Take a thick bottom pan/handi or same pan . Heat oil ,ghee add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, black Cardamom, green cardamom and star anise. Saute for 2-3 minutes till spices release oil and aroma wafts.
Add cooked chicken pieces , mix well and cook for a minute. Add drained jeera rice and mix well everything.
Mix jeera rice with chicken pieces and cook for 3- 4 minutes. Now add reserved chicken stock to rice and mix well everything.
When it comes to boil , stir well everything from bottom . When rice is cooked for about 80 % , add kasoori methi / dry fenugreek leaves , lime juice and mix well. Cover with a lid , place any heavy object and cook on dum for 20 minutes on sim .
After 20 minutes , turn off the flame. Open the lid , fluff rice and serve with onion tomato raita and boiled eggs.
This post has been updated from the archives, was first published in January 2014.
Donne Biryani Recipe | Easy Chicken Donne Biryani Recipe
Measurement Size 1 Cup = 200 ml
- 700 grams Chicken
- ½ cup Hung Curds
- ½" inch Ginger , crushed to paste
- 4 Garlic cloves medium sizes , paste
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Refined Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For Masala Paste
- 3 Onions medium size , sliced
- 6-8 Green Chilies , spice variant
- 2" inch Ginger or 1 tablespoon Ginger Paste
- 20 Garlic Cloves or 2 tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 2 " inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Cloves
- ½ teaspoon BlackPeppercorns
- 2 Strands Mace /Javitri
- 3 Green Cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon Saunf /Fennel Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Stone Flower /Dagad Phool
- ½ teaspoon Black Jeera /Shahi Jeera
- ½ cup Mint leaves
- ½ cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Ghee /Clarified Butter
For Cooking Chicken Stock
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1 no Bay Leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2-3 Cloves
- 2-3 Green Cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3.5 cups Water
- Chicken marinade
For Biryani Rice
- 500 grams Jeera Rice / Seeragam Rice
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
- 2 Bayleaf
- 4 Cloves
- 2" inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2 Star Anise
- 2 Marathi moggu / Kapok seeds , optional
- 2 tablespoon Kasuri Methi /Dry Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 - 1.5 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1.5 teaspoon Salt or as required
- Wash and clean chicken , drain water completely .
- Marinate with all the ingredients listed under marination for minimum 30 minutes or more ,preferably keep in refrigerator.
Directions for Masala Paste
- In a pan / kadhai , heat 1 tablespoon of oil and ghee ,add all the whole spices listed under masala paste and fry well ,till you get aroma of the spices.
- Add roughly chopped onions, ginger ,garlic and fry well till raw smell goes off.
- Add green chillies and fry well. Finally add mint and coriander leaves mix well and turn off the heat.
- Allow it to cool, Once it cools down grind it to a fine paste without adding water.
For Preparing Chicken Stock
- In a pressure cooker or a open pan , add 1 teaspoon of oil , whole spices and marinated chicken .
- Cook for 5 minutes, once chicken starts changing the color and juices starts to release, add 3.5 cups of water (for 700 to 750 grams chicken ) and bring it to boil , until chicken is cooked. Alternatively you can pressure cook for a whistle.
- When chicken is cooked , Turn off the stove and separate chicken pieces and stock. If cooking in a pressure cooker , when pressure releases, open lid and separate chicken and stock and set aside.
For Preparing Biryani
- Wash and soak jeera/seeragam rice for 10-15 minutes,drain water and keep it aside.
- In a thick bottom pan, heat ghee ,oil add bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom,cloves , star anise and fry well till spices leaves aroma to oil.
- Add above ground masala paste and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken pieces to green masala paste and fry well.
- For this add soaked and drained rice, mix well.
- Now add chicken stock to rice ,mix well . Add about 11/2 to 2 teaspoon of salt and cook rice.
- When rice is cooked to about 80 % , add Kasuri methi, / dry fenugreek and lemon juice .
- Mix well close tight lid, place a heavy pot filled with water and cook on sim for 20 minutes, Dum cooking.
- After 20 minutes , own lid , fluff rice and serve hot.
- Serve hot with raita, boiled eggs ,onion rings and lemon wedges.