Donne Biryani is very famous in Bangalore.”Donne” means big sized cups /bowls made from areca nut palm leaf . These are eco friendly disposable plates and cups. As Biryani will be served on these plates/bowls it is popularly known as “Donne Biryani”. Unlike authentic Biryani, this biryani is not layered nor cooked in dum.This is very similar to preparing any Pulao but its cooked with mutton/chicken stock.
In Bangalore there is a restaurant which is very famous for Donne Biryani and its known as “Banashankari Donne Biryani” .As the restaurant is very small and crowded all time ,I never got a chance to visit there ,but once it happened so that one of my cousin parceled Donne Biryani and brought for me to taste at home and asked me to recreate the same.After tasting each grain of that biryani I came up with my own recipe by making some kind of fusion with pulao and biryani .And I named it as Banashankari Donne Biryani and served to GP and cousins,all they said was it was better than “Banashankari Donne Biryani” and relished the taste!
Similar kind of Biryani on my blog , prepared with jeera rice is Ambur Star Biryani , which is hot and spicy . Also there is a Biryani Masala Powder recipe which I have already shared , which can be used to prepare chicken pulao or any kind of Veg Dum Biryani , Egg Biryani , Chicken or Mutton Dum Biryani .
Hungry to know more ? Learn on Fiverr
If you are looking for Karnataka Style Pulao / Bath recipes , then do check these following recipes :
RECIPE CARD FOR DONNE BIRYANI
Donne Biryani Recipe | Easy Chicken Donne Biryani Recipe
Measurement Size 1 Cup = 200 ml
- 1/2 Kilograms Chicken
- 1/2 Cup Hung Curds
- 1/2" inch Ginger
- 4 Garlic cloves medium sizes
- 1 Tsp Chilly Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Refined Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
For Masala Paste
- 3 Onions medium size
- 6 Green Chillies
- 2" inch Ginger or 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
- 12 Garlic Cloves or 1 Tbsp Garlic Paste
- 2 " inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 3 Cloves
- 1/2 Tsp BlackPeppercorns
- 2 Strands Mace /Javitri
- 3 Green Cardamom pods
- 1 Tsp Saunf /Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Stone Flower /Dagad Phool
- 1/2 Tsp Black Jeera /Shahi Jeera
- 1/2 cup Mint leaves
- 1/2 cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ghee /Clarified Butter
For Biryani Rice
- 21/2 Cups Jeera Rice / Seeragam Rice
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 Bayleaf
- 4 Cloves
- 2" inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2 Star Anise
- 2 Tbsp Kasuri Methi /Dry Fenugreek Leaves
- 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 Tsp Salt or as required
- Wash and clean chicken.drain water completely .
- Marinate with all the ingredients listed under marination for minimum 30 minutes ,preferably keep in refrigerator.
Directions for Masala Paste
- In a pan,heat 1 Tbsp of oil and ghee ,add all the whole spices listed under masala paste and fry well ,till you get aroma of the spices.
- Add roughly chopped onions,ginger ,garlic and fry well till raw smell goes off.
- Add green chillies.fry well. Finally add mint and coriander leaves mix well and turn off the heat.
- Allow it to cool,Once it cools down grind it to a fine paste without adding water.
For Preparing Chicken Stock
- In a pressure cooker,add 1 Tsp of oil and marinated chicken .
- Cook for 5 minutes,once chicken starts changing the colour and juices starts to release,add 4 cups of water and pressure cook for a whistle.
- Once pressure releases,separate chicken pieces and stock.
For Preparing Biryani
- Wash and soak jeera/seeragam rice for 10-15 minutes,drain water and keep it aside.
- In a thick bottom pan, heat ghee ,oil add bay leaf,cinnamon,cardamom,cloves , star anise and fry well till spices leaves aroma to oil.
- Add above ground masala paste and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken pieces to green masala paste and fry well.
- For this add rice and mix well.
- Now add chicken stock to rice ,mix well .
- Add salt,lemon juice and Kasuri methi ,mix well close tight lid and cook till done.
- Serve hot with raita,boiled eggs ,onion rings and lemon wedges.
Step By Step Directions on making of Donne Biryani :
2.Soak jeera rice /samba rice for 15 minutes ,drain water and set aside.
5.Meanwhile, in a pressure Cooker,add 1 Tsp of oil ,add marinated mutton/chicken saute for a minute and cook for 10 minutes,add 3 cups of water,1 Tsp salt and pressure cook for 1 whistle for chicken and 2 whistles for Mutton.
Serve hot with boiled eggs,onion rings and lemon wedges.