Donne Biryani recipe with step by step photos and short video. Donne Biryani is a famous Biryani native of Bangalore , Karnataka . “Donne” means big sized cups /bowls made from areca nut palm leaf . These are eco friendly disposable plates and cups. As Biryani is served on these plates/bowls it is popularly known as “Donne Biryani”.
Unlike authentic Biryani, this biryani is not layered nor rice is cooked separately .This is very similar to preparing any Pulao but its cooked with mutton/chicken stock.
In Bangalore there is a restaurant known as Shivaji Military Hotel which is very famous for Donne Biryani and is popularly known as “Banashankari Donne Biryani” . As the restaurant is very small and crowded all time , I never got a chance to visit there personally . As I just live very near to this place , often used to get take away from this place.
As there is a huge demand for this biryani at my home , I tried to recreate the same . Tasting often and trying lot many times I finally hooked up to this recipe which tastes very close Banshankari Donne Biryani.
I make this Donne Biryani with chicken , Mutton and also Vegetables by varying the proportions of spices and keeping the ingredients and basic cooking procedure same. As I get lot of queries about vegetarian version of Donne Biryani and Mutton Donne Biryani , I try to post these recipes soon.
Below image is recently picture which I shot during making Donne Biryani Video. I have updated this post with Chicken Donne Biryani Video [New ]
Similar kind of Biryani on my blog , prepared with jeera rice is Ambur Star Biryani , which is hot and spicy . Also there is a Biryani Masala Powder recipe which I have already shared , which can be used to prepare chicken pulao or any kind of Veg Dum Biryani , Egg Biryani , Eggplant Biryani , Chicken or Mutton Dum Biryani .
If you are looking for Karnataka Style Pulao / Bath recipes , then do check these following recipes :
RECIPE CARD FOR DONNE BIRYANI
Donne Biryani Recipe | Easy Chicken Donne Biryani Recipe
Measurement Size 1 Cup = 200 ml
- 700 grams Chicken
- 1/2 cup Hung Curds
- 1/2" inch Ginger , crushed to paste
- 4 Garlic cloves medium sizes , paste
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Refined Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
For Masala Paste
- 3 Onions medium size , sliced
- 6-8 Green Chilies , spice variant
- 2" inch Ginger or 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
- 20 Garlic Cloves or 2 Tbsp Garlic Paste
- 2 " inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Cloves
- 1/2 Tsp BlackPeppercorns
- 2 Strands Mace /Javitri
- 3 Green Cardamom pods
- 1 Tsp Saunf /Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Stone Flower /Dagad Phool
- 1/2 Tsp Black Jeera /Shahi Jeera
- 1/2 cup Mint leaves
- 1/2 cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ghee /Clarified Butter
For Cooking Chicken Stock
- 1 Tsp Oil
- 1 no Bay Leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2-3 Cloves
- 2-3 Green Cardamom pods
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3.5 cups Water
- Chicken marinade
For Biryani Rice
- 500 grams Jeera Rice / Seeragam Rice
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 Bayleaf
- 4 Cloves
- 2" inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2 Star Anise
- 2 Marathi moggu / Kapok seeds , optional
- 2 Tbsp Kasuri Methi /Dry Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 - 1.5 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1.5 Tsp Salt or as required
- Wash and clean chicken , drain water completely .
- Marinate with all the ingredients listed under marination for minimum 30 minutes or more ,preferably keep in refrigerator.
Directions for Masala Paste
- In a pan / kadhai , heat 1 Tbsp of oil and ghee ,add all the whole spices listed under masala paste and fry well ,till you get aroma of the spices.
- Add roughly chopped onions, ginger ,garlic and fry well till raw smell goes off.
- Add green chillies and fry well. Finally add mint and coriander leaves mix well and turn off the heat.
- Allow it to cool, Once it cools down grind it to a fine paste without adding water.
For Preparing Chicken Stock
- In a pressure cooker or a open pan , add 1 Tsp of oil , whole spices and marinated chicken .
- Cook for 5 minutes,once chicken starts changing the colour and juices starts to release, add 3.5 cups of water and bring it to boil , till chicken is cooked . Alternatively you can pressure cook for a whistle.
- When chicken is cooked , Turn off the stove and separate chicken pieces and stock. If cooking in a pressure cooker , when pressure releases, open lid and separate chicken and stock and set aside.
For Preparing Biryani
- Wash and soak jeera/seeragam rice for 10-15 minutes,drain water and keep it aside.
- In a thick bottom pan, heat ghee ,oil add bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom,cloves , star anise and fry well till spices leaves aroma to oil.
- Add above ground masala paste and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken pieces to green masala paste and fry well.
- For this add soaked and drained rice, mix well.
- Now add chicken stock to rice ,mix well . Add about 11/2 to 2 Tsp of salt and cook rice.
- When rice is cooked to about 80 % , add Kasuri methi, / dry fenugreek and lemon juice .
- Mix well close tight lid, place a heavy pot filled with water and cook on sim for 20 minutes, Dum cooking.
- After 20 minutes , own lid , fluff rice and serve hot.
- Serve hot with raita, boiled eggs ,onion rings and lemon wedges.
Step By Step Directions on making of Donne Biryani :
Soak 1/2 kilo Jeera rice /samba rice for 30 minutes , drain water and set aside. Jeera rice is a short grain rice with its own aroma.
Whilst in a pan /pot , add oil , ghee and fry all the whole spices listed under ” grinding”. Add ginger paste ( or 2 inch ginger) , garlic paste ( or garlic cloves 20- 22 ), onions 3 no’s medium size ,fry till raw smell vanishes.
Add green chilies 6-8 no’s , depending on the spice . Preferably add spice variant green chilies and fry well. Finally add Mint and Coriander leaves saute for a minute . Allow it to cool.
Meanwhile, in a pressure Cooker or a pot ,add 1 Tsp of oil ,add some whole spices , marinated chicken , stir well and cook for 6-8 minutes add 3.5 cups of water, 1 Tsp salt and bring to boil till chicken is cooked or alternatively , can pressure cook for 1 whistle .
Take a thick bottom pan/handi or same pan . Heat oil ,ghee add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, black Cardamom, green cardamom and star anise. Saute for 2-3 minutes till spices release oil and aroma wafts.
Add cooked chicken pieces , mix well and cook for a minute. Add drained jeera rice and mix well everything.
Mix jeera rice with chicken pieces and cook for 3- 4 minutes. Now add reserved chicken stock to rice and mix well everything.
When it comes to boil , stir well everything from bottom . When rice is cooked for about 80 % , add kasoori methi / dry fenugreek leaves , lime juice and mix well. Cover with a lid , place any heavy object and cook on dum for 20 minutes on sim .
After 20 minutes , turn off the flame. Open the lid , fluff rice and serve with onion tomato raita and boiled eggs.