Potato Smiley is a easy recipe which can bring smile on your kid's frown face. This potato based snack is Kids all time favorite recipe. Taste wise it's very similar to that of potato chips. What makes this homemade potato smiley better than McCain Smiles is , its fresh and no preservatives are added .
My lil boy was behind me for this Potato Smileys so gave a thought on doing this . I did it in large batch and even freezed it , so that I can thaw and use it as required. Recipe measurement can be easily reduced or even doubled .I have used 500 grams of potato for making potato smiley ,it yields around 45-50 potato smiles .
Potato Smile snacks are deep fried in oil . I baked as well as deep fried it. Baked smiles very not appealing to look ,it looked dry but taste wise it was similar to baked wedges 🙂 🙂 🙂 The pic below shows Baked Potato smiles. But my boy is very much like me and said baked smiles are much better than deep fried ones 😉 😉 😉 .Frankly speaking deep fried smiles tasted as good as crispy potato fritters but only drawback I found was , it drinks more oil .
So if you think of not adding more calories to your diet , you bake Potato smiley . If you are OK with eating deep fries once in a while go ahead with deep fried Smiley's. Here the recipe i have followed is a basic one with only minimal spices . But you can add flavours of your choice like Cheese , Oregano , Garlic or Rosemary . Anything will taste good here , as main ingredient potato itself is fool proof here 🙂
Other Kids friendly recipes on blog are : Potato Wedges , Masala Bun , Cheesy Bell Pepper Toast , Poha Cutlets , Bourbon Biscuits
Recipe card for Potato Smiley | Mc Cain's Style Potato Smiles
Potato Smiley | Mccain Style Potato Smiles
- 300 grams Potato or 5-6 medium size potato
- 2 tablespoon Cornflour
- 3 tablespoon Breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon Chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Pepper Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Salt or as required
- 1 pinch cooking soda ,optional
- Oil for deep frying
- Take 300 grams of potato ,wash clean and boil.Peel the skin and grate the potatoes to get around 2 cups
- In a large mixing bowl take grated potatoes , add 3 tablespoon bread crumbs, 2 tablespoon corn flour, ½ teaspoon chilli powder , ½ teaspoon pepper powder, pinch cooking soda and salt to taste.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well .Knead well to form a soft non sticky dough.
- Cover and refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes or till use .This step is important because it helps smiley to retain its shape while frying in oil.
- Now take dough ,knead well and pinch a large ball sized prepared potato dough .
- On a butter paper , flatten potato dough using hands. Now using a rolling pin roll potato dough slightly thick .
- Using a cookie cutter or any round mould make round shapes on dough. For making eyes , use straw and spoon to make smile .
- For baking : Preheat the oven , grease the oven tray , brush potato smiles with oil and bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or till it turns golden and crisp
- Deep Frying : Heat oil in a frying pan and deep fry potato smiles on medium heat, fry on both sides till golden brown.
- Finally, serve potato smiley with mayonnaise and tomato sauce.
- Make sure that potatoes are not overcooked .
- Add more breadcrumbs ,if there is moisture in the prepared dough.
- Main key for getting potato smiley is ,it shouldn't have moisture in the dough.
- Refrigerating the potato dough is very important ,this prevents potato smiles from breaking while frying in oil.
Step by step directions on making of Potato Smiley:
Take 300 grams of potato ,wash clean and boil.Peel the skin and grate the potatoes.
In a large mixing bowl take grated potatoes , add 3 cup bread crumbs, 2 tablespoon corn flour, ½ teaspoon chilli powder , ½ teaspoon pepper powder, pinch cooking soda and salt to taste.
Leave a Reply