Seekh Kebab are scrumptious, juicy smoke flavored cylindrical shape kebabs . Minced meat is mixed with Indian spices, shaped into cylinders on skewers and grilled to perfection. Gets ready within 30 minutes and best for weekend and dinner parties with family and friends. Serve this delicious seekh kebab with Mint Chutney , Onion Salad and lemon wedges.
Either Lamb meat or Chicken meat can be used to make this recipe. But this recipe post shares chicken seekh kebab recipe.
Also other Chicken recipes which are often enjoyed at weekend party at home with kids are Crispy Fried Chicken , Chicken Nuggets , Chicken Lollipop and Chicken Hakka Noodles
About this recipe
Seekh Kebab is a type of kebab originating from India. Making of Seekh Kebabs are similar to Shami kebabs. But spices used are different and also the shape of the Kebabs. Shami Kebabs are circular and Sheek Kebab are cylindrical in shape .
Traditionally , minced lamb meat is mixed with spices and herbs , wrapped around a iron skewer to form a cylindrical shape and then grilled to perfection. But ,I have used chicken breast to make this delicious Seekh Kebab . You can use any minced meat but cooking time varies depending on meat .
These juicy chicken seekh kebabs are easy to make with no marination .You can make this in Oven , Gas stove , Air fryer or even on Instant Pot .
Also to get smoky flavor , I infused smoke using charcoal smoking technique (Dhungar Method ) and it works really well.
You must try this Chicken Seekh Kebab because , they are
- Easy to make
- Low Calories
- Under 30 minutes
Minced chicken - You can use any boneless chicken to mince or use minced meat directly in the recipe
You need Cashew nuts , it helps to give a smooth, rich texture and mild sweetness to kebabs.
Use Roasted Gram Flour / Chickpea flour / besan to absorb little moisture in minced chicken. This helps chicken to hold cylindrical shape around skewers.
Herbs - Ginger , Garlic , green chilies , Coriander leaves , lime juice and Onion are used to make green spice blend to mix with chicken.
Other Spices and seasoning - Other spices includes blackpepper powder , salt , chaat masala , garam masala , red chilli powder and turmeric . Increase or decrease the spices as per your likings and heat tolerence.
You need Mustard oil and butter to make this.
Tips and Variations
- Infuse smoke makes this dish more flavorful , so smoking technique is highly recommended.
- Though chicken breast , lean meat is used here you can even use boneless chicken thigh pieces to make this seekh kebab
- Depending on your spice and heat tolerance , you can increase or decease the spices in the recipe , as recipe is highly customizable.
You can serve this delicious chicken seekh kebab along with Mint Chutney / Mint Dip with a side of some sliced onions and lemon wedges. Also sprinkle some lemon juice and chaat masala over it , while serving.
You can also make a wrap out of it ; remove skewer gently and cut seekh kebab into roundels . Placing some chicken roundels in a wrap along with mint dip , sliced onions , chopped coriander leaves and sprinking some chaat masala.
You can also make a salad by placing some chicken seekh kebaba on lettuce berg leaves along with cucumber and julliences of carrot , beetroot and cabbage with simple Vinaigrette dressing .
How to make in Air Fryer ?
First, pre-heat the airfryer at 200 degrees. Then, brush the airfryer basket with little oil or butter.
Arrange the marinated chicken in the basket and air fry it 20 minutes or until charred. (you can flip it once in between).
What went wrong , I was unable to make cylindrical shape ?
It happens if there is some more water content in chicken . So always make sure to pat dry chicken before starting the recipe .
Even after that , if you find it difficult to shape - then be sure to add some roasted gram flour just to bind the minced meat to hold shape.
Why did my Seekh Kebab dry ?
May be you have cooked it for long . Make sure to baste with some more butter / oil while making as chicken breast is very low in fat.
How to make Chicken Seekh Kebab :
In a small mixer jar / blender . add 1 medium size onion ,6 garlic cloves , 1 inch ginger , 4 green chillies , 2 tablespoon coriander leaves and 10 whole cashews.
Blend to smooth paste without adding water.
Wash and clean chicken breast and pat it to dry completely.
Place chicken in a food processor and ground meat to smooth.
For this minced meat , add chilli powder ,turmeric, salt , pepper powder , chat masala , garam masala ,above prepared spice blend , roasted gram flour and lemon juice.
Blend everything once again , such that masala and spices are well incorporated with meat. Don't add water
Soak wooden skewers prior 30 minutes in water and then use the sticks. If using metal skewers , you can use directly .
Shape meat around the skewers in a cylindrical shape .
Place this in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
To make in Oven
Preheat the oven to 200 deg celsius.
Grease the oven tray with oil and arrange the skewers . Drizzle some oil / butter on top of the meat .
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes . Half the way around 10 min , take out the tray from oven ,turn the skewers to other side ,baste some oil/ butter and put it back in oven . Continue to bake.
Once done ,change to grill mode and grill for another 4-5 minutes to get that charred look.
If you are not infusing smoke flavour ( charcoal smoking or dhungar method) then you can serve Seekh Kebab straight away or else proceed to next step for Dhungar Method.
To cook on Stove Top
If making on stove top , in a frying pan , grease ½ teaspoon of mustard oil .
Arrange skewers on frying pan
Cook on medium heat rotating skewers at equal intervals.
Let it cook evenly and turn golden brown on both sides . Once done , proceed to infuse smoke using Dhungar Method ( smoking technique)
Charcoal Smoking Technique / Dhungar Method :
Initially , heat a small piece of charcoal on a flame till red hot, with the help of tongs , keep rotating the charcoal piece till it evenly burns .
In a small bowl , place red hot charcoal and add ½ teaspoon of oil .
Now ,place it immediately inside the Seekh Kebab pan and finally close it tightly with lid. Allow smoke to infuse for a 2-3 minutes.
Serve Seekh Kebab garnished with coriander leaves , lemon wedges and mint chutney.
This post has been updated from the archives, was first published in Nov 2018.
Seekh Kebab | Easy Chicken Seekh Kebab
For Green Masala paste
- 1 no Onion medium size
- 6 no Garlic Cloves
- 1 inch Ginger
- 3-4 no Green Chillies , - Use less spice Chillies
- 10 no Whole Cashewnuts
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Leaves
To make seekh kebab
- 500 grams Chicken Breast or Minced Chicken
- 1 teaspoon Chat Masala
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- prepared green masala blend
- 2 tablespoon Roasted Gram Flour / Besan
- 1 teaspoon Salt or as required
- 1 teaspoon Butter / Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Oil to grease pan
For Green Masala Paste
- In a small mixer jar / blender . add 1 medium size onion ,6 garlic cloves , 1 inch ginger ,4 green chillies , 2 tablespoon coriander leaves and 10 whole cashews. Blend to smooth paste without adding water.
To make seekh Kabab
- Wash chicken breast and pat it dry . Place in a food processor and ground the meat to smooth.
- Add above prepared green masala paste and spices to minced meat . Blend everything once again ,such that masala and spices are well incorporated with meat.
- Take skewers ,shape meat around the skewers in a cylindrical shape . Place this in refrigerator for 30 minutes.If you are using bamboo skewers , soak in water prior 30 minutes and then use the sticks.
To bake in Oven
- Preheat the oven to 200 deg celsius.
- Grease the oven tray with oil , and arrange the skewers . Drizzle some oil / butter on top of the meat .
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes . Half the way around 10 min , take out the tray from oven ,turn the skewers to other side ,baste some oil/ butter and put it back in oven . Continue to bake.
- Once done ,change to grill mode and grill for another 4 minutes to get that charred look. If you are not infusing smoke flavour ( charcoal smoking or dhungar method) then you can serve Seekh Kebab straight away or else proceed to next step for Dhungar Method.
To make on stove top
- In a frying pan , grease ½ teaspoon of mustard oil .
- Arrange skewers on frying pan and cook on medium heat rotating skewers at equal intervals.
- Once everything is evenly cooked and turns golden brown on both sides , proceed to infuse smoke using Dhungar Method( Smoking technique)
Charcoal Smoking Technique / Dhungar Method :
- Heat a small piece of charcoal on a flame till red hot, with the help of tongs ,keep rotating the charcoal piece till it evenly burns .
- In a small bowl , place red hot charcoal and add ½ teaspoon of oil .
- Place it immediately inside the Seekh Kebab tray and close it tight , so that smoke gets infused with kebab. Allow smoke to infuse for a minute.
- Serve Seekh Kebab garnished with coriander leaves , lemon wedges and mint chutney.
- If you don't have oven or tandoor or barbeque , alternatively you can cook on grill pan or tava.
- Add 1 teaspoon of butter on grill pan , place the skewers and cook on a medium heat ,rotating once in between , cook for around 15- 20 minutes.
- In case if water content in chicken and onion is higher and after mincing the meat , if it becomes difficult to hold the shape , then adding cashew powder or little roasted gram flour will help to hold the shape.
You have shown all detail steps, nice.
Thanks Pranita 🙂
The recipe looked so easy and I tried it today. The kebabs just fell of the skewer.Disappointed 😑
So sad to hear this. It may have happened mainly because of water content in the chicken would be more and also onion. In such cases adding more càshews or roasted gramflour would help .
Thank you for a lovely recipe! I am Ukrainian loving Indian quinine. Your recipes and techniques are the best! 💓