Chicken lollipop recipe with step by step photos and short video. Chicken Lollipop is an hot and spicy starter prepared from whole chicken wings shaped into lollipop or drummettes. Chicken dummettes are tenderized in buttermilk , marinated with spices then baked - grilled / cooked to perfection and tossed in spicy sauce seasoning.
Chicken Lollipop is one of the most ordered dish in a restaurant. Even I love Chicken Lillipop a lot but I don't prefer eating in a restaurant because it is deep fried and has additonal MSG ( mono sodium glutamate) . Because of these 2 facts , resturant made Chicken Lollipop are not good on your stomach. How about making a best ever Chicken lollipop without deep frying and MSG. Sounds good right...., YES , its super easy to make this best ever chicken lollipop recipe.
Deep frying meat is BIG NO for me which I NEVER PREFER making at home. I either Bake / Grill or Air Fry to achieve the taste. And one such recipe is this Chicken Lollipop. You can either Bake / Grill or pan fry chicken drummettes on stove top and still achieve the same restaurant taste . I make this Chicken every week at home without fail and still not yet bored. It tastes awesome and is also very light on stomach. Its not too oily nor too saucy , it tastes just too good.
Tips to make Best Ever Chicken Lollipop
- Soaking in butter milk for 4 -5 hours helps to tenderize chicken lollipop and gives a nice hint of flavor , but minimum 30 minutes is must , hence don't skip this step.
- Marinating Chicken for long hours makes more tastier chicken lollipop.
- Spices : Along with Red Chilli Powder and Blackpepper powder , I have used Garam Masala to get Indian flavours but its upto your choice. Alternatively , you can try with other flavors like peri peri seasoning , chat masala , paprika , mixed herbs or mexican seasoning , its upto your creativity and choice.
- Flour : Rice Flour gives a nice crispiness to chicken while baking and also while pan frying . If you don't have , you can use all purpose flour.
- Cooking Methods : You can either Bake or grill the marinated chicken. Can also pan fry till crisp on stove top or Deep fry on medium heat. You can follow any cooking method , all methods yields almost similar results. Video in the recipe shows pan fry chicken on stove top whereas step by step direction images shows baked version of chicken lollipop. You can follow either of two.
This recipe post share is updated recently with new video , featured image and few tips which I have learnt over the years of making Chicken Lollipop.
If you are interested in more chicken starters recipes do check these Chicken Recipes on blog :
- Chilli Capsicum Chicken
- Curry Leaves Pepper Chicken
- Chicken Tikka
- Chicken Seekh Kebab
- Tangdi Kebab in pressure cooker
- Chicken Sukka
RECIPE CARD FOR CHICKEN LOLLIPOP
Chicken Lollipop Recipe
For Tenderizing Chicken
- ½ Kilo Chicken drummettes (10-12 Pieces)
- 4 tablespoon Curds
- 500 ml water
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¾ tablespoon Garlic Paste or Garlic cloves 8 crushed
- ¾ tablespoon Ginger Paste or ¾ "inch Ginger crushed
- ½ teaspoon Redchilli Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- 2 tablespoon Cornflour or All purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Rice flour , optional - refer notes
- 1 tablespoon Soya Sauce
- ½ tablespoon White Vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil or any other cooking oil
For Spice Sauce Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1 Onion Medium finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Finely Chopped
- ½ tablespoon Ginger finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon Red Chilli powder ,mixed with 2-3 tablespoon Water
- 1 teaspoon Soya Sauce
- 1 teaspoon White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Water
- ¼ teaspoon Salt or as required
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Leaves /celery chopped - optional
- 1 tablespoon Spring onions for garnishing
- Take 4 tablespoon of curds in a bowl,whisk well.Add water,turmeric powder ,salt 1 teaspoon and prepare buttermilk.
- Wash and clean chicken.Soak the chicken lollipop pieces in buttermilk for minimum 30 minutes or upto 4-5 hrs , preferabbly in refrigerator .This step is necessary to tenderize the chicken.
- After 30 minutes, remove chicken pieces from buttermilk and set aside.
- Marinate the chicken with ginger paste, garlic paste, pepper powder, garam masala, red chilli powder and ¼ teaspoon salt , soya sauce, vinegar , oil and mix well.
- Add rice flour, corn flour to chicken and mix well, refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes/overnight.
For Baking / Grilling / Frying Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 220 deg celsius , grease the tray with oil. Place the marinade chicken over the tray. ( Alternatively,you can even deep fry / shallow fry or pan fry over medium heat)
- Half the way, around 10 minutes , remove the tray from oven and turn the chicken pieces to other side ,put it back into oven and continue to bake.
- Bake for 18 minutes. and then grill for 2-3 minutes to get a crisp and charred look.
- If pan frying , as shown in video , add 2 tablespoon of oil and pan fry on both sides by flipping periodically on medium flame, when it releases juices and cooked well. Toss well on high heat for 2-3 minutes to get charred look .
For Spicy Sauce Seasoning
- Whilst, Take a frying pan,add oil,add chopped onions,grated ginger,finely chopped garlic and fry till raw smell goes off.
- Add red chilli paste (prepare by mixing 1 tablespoon water with ½ tablespoon red chilly powder),soya sauce,vinegar ,salt ,sugar and mix well.
- Add ⅓ cup water and bring to boil and cook till it thickens like a sauce.
- By now chicken would have baked, or cooked , remove from the oven or pan , respectively
- Add baked chicken to the above prepared sauce mix , Toss well so that chicken is completely coated with sauce.
- Keep it in simmer for 3-5 minutes for flavours to blend.
- Turn off the heat,garnish with coriander leaves and spring onions.
- Serve hot with schezwan sauce.
- Be careful while adding salt ,as you'll add salt to buttermilk and also to the seasoning. And also soya sauce contains salt.
- Adding Rice flour is optional , but I recommend as it helps to give a very crisp coating.
- If cooking on stove top , use 2 tablespoon of oil , for baking just grease the baking tray and arrange chicken drummettes.
- If cooking on stove top , prefer to use Non stick pan.
- You can also deep fry this instead of grilling & baking, always deep fry it on medium to high heat.
- If you don't have a combination cooking on your oven, bake it for 15 minutes and grill for last 5 minutes in the same temperature 220 deg celsius.
- For spice sauce seasoning , Use ½ tablespoon of oil ,in case if you are baking/grilling the chicken.
Step by Step Directions to make Chicken Lollipop:
Add 4 tablespoon of curds in a bowl, whisk well. Add water, turmeric powder , salt 1 teaspoon and prepare buttermilk.
Soak the chicken in buttermilk for minimum 30 minutes/4-5 hrs .This step is necessary to tenderize the chicken.
Marinate the chicken with ginger garlic paste, pepper powder, garam masala, red chilli powder , Soya Sauce , Vinegar , oil and ¼ teaspoon salt .
Mix well ,add rice flour,corn flour mix well and refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes/ 4-5 hours.
Preheat the oven to 220 deg celsius , grease the tray with oil.
Place the marinade chicken over the tray. ( Alternatively, you can even deep fry over a medium high heat or pan fry as shown in the video. )
Bake chicken in preheated oven for about 18 minutes. Half the way , remove from oven , turn chicken pieces to other side and continue to bake just to ensure even cooking on both sides.
After 18 minutes , grill for about 2-3 minutes to get the nice crisp and charred look.
Take a frying pan, add oil, add chopped onions, ginger, garlic and fry till raw smell goes off.
Add red chilli paste (prepare by mixing 2 tablespoon water with ½ tablespoon red chili powder), soya sauce, vinegar ,salt ,sugar and mix well.
Add water and bring to boil , cook till it thickens.
For this add baked/ grilled / fried or pan fried chicken , Toss well on high heat such that chicken is completely coated with sauce.then keep it in simmer for 2-3 minutes for flavors to blend and come together.
Turn off the heat, garnish with coriander leaves , spring onions and serve hot with with schezwan sauce or Hot & Sweet Tomato Sauce.