Chicken lollipop is an hot and spicy starter prepared from whole chicken wings shaped into lollipop/drumettes.Though I love the taste of this Chicken lollipop a lot,I don’t prefer eating it in restaurant, as it is deep fried and added MSG,popularly known as tasting powder,makes it very unhealthy.
Recipe Card for Baked Chicken Lollipop
For Tenderizing Chicken
- 1/2 Kilo Chicken drummettes (10-12 Pieces)
- 4 Tbsp Curds
- 500 ml water
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Tbsp Garlic Paste or Garlic cloves 8 crushed
- 3/4 Tbsp Ginger Paste or 3/4 "inch Ginger crushed
- 1/2 Tsp Redchilly Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tbsp Cornflour
- 1 Tsp Riceflour
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Olive oil or any other oil
For Spice Sauce Seasoning
- 1 Tsp Oil
- 1 Onion Medium finely chopped
- 3/4 Tbsp Garlic Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp Red Chilli powder ,mixed with 1 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tsp Soya Sauce
- 1 Tsp White Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1/4 Tsp Salt or as required
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Leaves /celery chopped optional
- Take 4 Tbsp of curds in a bowl,whisk well.Add water,turmeric powder ,salt 1 Tsp and prepare buttermilk.
- Wash and clean chicken.Soak the chicken lollipop pieces in buttermilk for minimum 30 minutes or upto 4-5 hrs ,preferabbly in refrigerator .This step is necessary to tenderize the chicken.
- After 30 minutes,remove chicken pieces from buttermilk and set aside.
- Marinate the chicken with ginger paste, garlic paste,pepper powder,garam masala,red chilli powder and 1/4 Tsp salt ,mix well.
- Add rice flour,corn flour to chicken and mix well,refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes/overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 220 deg celsius ,grease the tray with oil.Place the marinade chicken over the tray.( Alternatively,You can even deep fry it. Heat oil and fry it over a medium high heat)
- Cook in a grill and bake combination mode for 18-20 minutes.
- Half the way,around 10 minutes ,remove the tray from oven and turn the chicken pieces to other side ,put it back into oven and continue to bake.
- Whilst,Take a frying pan,add oil,add chopped onions,grated ginger,finely chopped garlic and fry till raw smell goes off.
- Add red chilli paste (prepare by mixing 1 Tbsp water with 1/2 Tbsp red chilly powder),soya sauce,vinegar ,salt ,sugar and mix well.
- Add 1/3 cup water and bring to boil and cook till it thickens like a sauce.
- By now chicken would have baked,remove from the oven .
- Add baked chicken to the above prepared sauce mix ,keep it in simmer for 5 minutes. Toss well so that chicken is completely coated with sauce.
- Turn off the heat,garnish with coriander leaves wrap a aluminium foil and serve hot with schezwan sauce.
- Be careful while adding salt ,as you'll add salt to buttermilk and also to the seasoning.And also soya sauce contains salt.
- You can also deep fry this instead of grilling & Baking,always deep fry it on medium to high heat.
- If you don't have a combination cooking on your oven,bake it for 15 minutes and grill for last 5 minutes in the same temperature 220 deg celsius.
Step by Step Directions: