Vegetable Poha aka diet poha is a healthy low carbs breakfast with lots of vegetables, sprouts and flattened rice .Gets ready under 20 minutes and has loads of fibers , minerals and vitamins. A perfect way to kick start the day.
About this recipe
Poha / Flattened rice is used to make variety of recipes from breakfasts to snacks in India. Poha is easy to digest and is very light on stomach. Veg poha is a simple recipe with lots of vegetables and sprouts. The ratio of vegetables to poha is 2: 1 . This makes an ideal breakfast for all.
I generally include this recipe in my diet chart for all weight watchers . This diet poha is easy to make and is a balanced meal on its own. This recipe has vegetables like carrots , beans , cabbage ,capsicum and potato , along with sprouted moong beans and green peas. A plate of this vegetable poha has carbs , protein , vitamin , minerals and fat , everything packed together. Hence this can be added either to your morning breakfast or evening tiffin .
Watch Video :
These days I have got busy working on diet plans for my clients. I generally give them instructions on portion meals and also recipes .
As I stay in Pune , Maharashtra when I ask them to eat Poha , by default it's understood has Kanda Pohe (Onion Poha) or Batata Poha (potato poha) with lots of oil , onion , potatoes and topped with some fine sev ..... ! Awwww, undoubtedly it tastes delicious .....! But that's not what I mean when I say eat Poha for breakfast .
My happy clients somehow became unhappy when I said no sev toppings 🙁 so to keep up the taste along with nutrition and maintain calories , I made this Vegetable / Diet Poha .
Poha / Flattened Rice : A thick or medium variant Poha can be used in this recipe. Thick variant needs little more time around 5 minutes to rinse in water where as medium variant needs just 30 seconds.
Vegetables : Onion , Tomatoes ,Carrot , French beans , Capsicum , Cabbabge , Potato etc, any vegetables of your choice can be used here.
Beans/ Legumes : Sprouted moong bean ( green gram sprouts ), green peas and peanuts are used here to increase the protein portion in this recipe.
Herbs : Coriander leaves , Curry leaves, green chillies , garlic , ginger and lemon.
Spices : Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds , Turmeric powder and salt
Others : Oil , chana dal and urad dal for tempering.
How to make Vegetable Diet Poha
Rinse medium variant , poha 2-3 times and set aside for 10 minutes. Let water drain completely. If using thick variant , you may need to soak poha in water for 4-5 minutes , drain water completely and set aside.
Whilst clean and wash all vegetables , chop and keep it ready .
Heat oil in a kadai / deep pan , add mustard seeds , jeera seeds allow it splutter. Add peanuts , Chana dal , urad dal and fry till it turns brown.
Throw in curry leaves , green chilies and grated ginger , saute for 30 seconds.
Add chopped onions , turmeric powder , asafoetida.
Saute till onions turns translucent.
Now add in green peas and all vegetables , add ½ teaspoon of salt .
Cook on medium heat until vegetables are cooked. Just make sure green peas and potatoes are well cooked , if other vegetables are cooked to 75% its fine.
Now add in ½ cup of moong sprouts and mix well everything.
Add poha and salt to taste.
Mix well everything. Cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat. You can also close lid and cook , if you want. I usually don't do this because steam falls on poha making it mushy. If you are using a thick variant poha , then closing a lid will help in soft and separated poha.
Turn off the stove , squeeze lime juice , add chopped coriander leaves , mix well everything .
Serve hot . In frame salted ragi ganji and moong sprouts salad.
Vegetable Poha -Diet Poha Recipe
- 1 cup Poha / Flattened Rice , Thick or Medium variant - refer notes
- 1 Onion , medium size , chopped
- ¼ cup Green peas , fresh or frozen
- ⅓ cup Carrot , chopped
- ¼ cup French beans , chopped
- ¼ cup Capsicum , chopped
- ¼ cup Potato , chopped
- ⅓ cup Cabbage , chopped
- ½ cup Moong bean sprouts
- 2 no's Green chillies, chopped
- 2 Sprig Curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon Ginger ,grated
- 1 ½ tablespoon Coconut Oil or any cooking oil , unrefined
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Jeera seeds /cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Chana Dal
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal
- 1 tablespoon Peanuts
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Hing / Asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon Rock Salt / Sendha Namak or as required
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves , chopped
- 1 tablespoon Lime juice
- Rinse poha 2-3 times and set aside for 10 minutes. Let water drain completely.
- Whilst clean and wash all vegetables , chop and keep it ready .
- Heat oil in a kadai / deep pan , add mustard seeds , jeera seeds allow it splutter.
- Add peanuts , Chana dal , urad dal and fry till it turns brown.
- Throw in curry leaves , green chilies and grated ginger , saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions , turmeric powder , asafoetida and saute till onions turns translucent.
- Now add in green peas and all vegetables , add ½ teaspoon of salt and cook on medium heat until vegetables are cooked. Just make sure green peas and potatoes are well cooked , if other vegetables are cooked to 75% its fine.
- Now add in ½ cup of moong sprouts and mix well everything.
- Add poha , salt to taste and mix well everything.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat. You can also close lid and cook , if you want. I have not used closed lid here because steam falls on cooked food and may make poha mushy.
- Turn off the stove , squeeze lime juice , add chopped coriander leaves , mix well everything and serve hot.
- Three variants of poha are available in market , thick , medium and thin. Thick variant needs to be soaked for about 4-5 minutes , medium variant can be just washed and used. Don't use thin variant Poha here.
- You can add as much as vegetables you wish , there is no actual measurement for this. With this measurement of veggies there would be balance in taste with poha to vegetables ratio.
- As this recipe is specially for diet , I have said unrefined coconut oil for cooking. You can use any cooking oil of your choice. You can also reduce on the amount of oil to ½ - 1 Tbsp