Makhana Namkeen is Foxnuts trail mix with roasted fox nuts ,dry fruits nuts and spices for seasoning. It gets ready within 15 minutes and is a healthy munching snack. This roasted phool makhana namkeen recipe is vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free too.
It's one of the healthiest snacking option to choose. Foxnuts are known for it's nutrition and health benefits.
About this recipe
Makhana Namkeen is popular during Navratri ( 9 day long Hindu festival ) or on any auspicious day where fasting is observed. As this recipe is made for fasting, ingredients are choose accordingly, however you can choose other seasonings too.
Apart from religious fasting , this simple roasted fox nuts are great snack to munch . It's nutritious and curb your hunger when you much on . Phool Makhana, Fox Nuts, or Lotus Seeds are loaded are a good source of protein, calcium, and iron.
Phool Makhana is known by many names like Lotus Seeds, Fox nuts, Euryale Ferox, Gorgon nut, etc. Fox nuts / Makhana are basically lotus seeds that are shelled, dried, and then sold.
Check out this image for a glance of ingredients used in this recipe. As I have made this for fasting ,I have used only ingredients that allowed in religious fasting in India. But if you are making for any other day or just to enjoy munching , feel free to add spices of your choice .
Makhana / Fox nuts -Needless to mention main ingredient for this recipe
Dry fruits and Nuts - I have used Cashews , Almonds , Dry coconut flakes , Peanuts and golden Raisins . But you can choose to add any of your favorite nuts and fruits to make it more tasty
Clarified Butter - I have used some homemade Desi Ghee here , Clarified Butter / Ghee for roasting fox nuts as well as dry nuts . Be sure to use clarified butter as oil doesn't taste good at all. For vegan's , Choose coconut oil
Seasoning - Red chili powder ,black salt and sugar is what , I have used . You can add spices and seasonings as per your choice.
See recipe card for quantities.
Always roast Makhana on low flame and thick bottom pan . Roasting on high flame makes fox nuts to brown quickly from outside and chewy inside.
Variations for makhana namkeen mainly play around with flavors and additional ingredients . If you are not doing this recipe for fasting then you can make this Namkeen like any other chivda recipe by adding Curry leaves , Garlic and variations with spices like black pepper powder and hing/ asafoetida .
How long you can store Makhana Namkeen ?
Roasted makhana/ Makhana Namkeen tastes the best when it is fresh but can be stored in an airtight container up to 10 days. But I always feel the crunchiness reduces over time. In this case, you can warm it up in microwave for 10 -15 seconds just before serving.
How to check that Makhana are roasted properly?
You can check in two ways , firstly well roasted foxnuts will be crunchy and crushes easily between fingers . Incase if it doesn't crushes easily then continue roasting for few more minutes. Second way , just pop roasted makhana into your mouth , if its chewy and sticks to your teeth then be sure that it needs some more roasting.
You might also like
How to make Makhana Namkeen
Heat 1.5 tablespoon of ghee or clarified butter in a deep pan .
Add 3 cup of makhana and roast on a medium-low heat until crisp.
You can check the doneness by crushing the roasted makhana between fingers.
Transfer the roasted makhana into a bowl and set aside.
Use the same pan to heat ½ tablespoon of ghee. Now add in peanuts and fry until peanuts skin starts to peel.
Move roasted peanuts to a corner and add sliced almonds, cashews and raisins.
Continue to fry dry fruits and nuts until cashews start to change color to light golden.
Lastly, add sliced dry coconut and fry until coconut slightly changes color.
Finally add roasted makhana and mix well everything.
Make some space at the centre of the pan, add ½ tablespoon of ghee.
Add salt , chili powder and sugar on ghee, mix well everything.
Mix everything so that spices coats makhana well.
Once it cools down , store in a air tight jar and serve when required.
Makhana Namkeen Recipe
- 3 cups Makhana/ Fox nuts
- 2.5 tablespoon ghee / clarified butter
- 15 almonds sliced roughly - about 2 tbsp
- 12 cashews - halves
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- 3-4 tablespoon of sliced dry coconut
- ½ teaspoon rock salt or black salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Heat 1.5 tablespoon of ghee or clarified butter in a deep pan .
- Add 3 cup of makhana and roast on a medium-low heat until crisp.
- You can check the doneness by crushing the roasted makhana between fingers.
- Transfer the roasted makhana into a bowl and set aside.
- Use the same pan to heat ½ tablespoon of ghee.
- Now add in peanuts and fry until peanuts skin starts to peel.
- Move roasted peanuts to a corner and add sliced almonds, cashews and raisins.
- Continue to fry dry fruits and nuts until cashews start to change color to light golden.
- Lastly, add sliced dry coconut and fry until coconut slightly changes color.
- Finally add roasted makhana and mix well everything.
- Make some space at the centre of the pan, add ½ tablespoon of ghee.
- Add salt , chili powder and sugar on ghee, mix well everything.
- Mix everything so that spices coats makhana well.
- Once it cools down , store in a air tight jar and serve when required.