Mavinakayi Chitranna | Raw Mango Rice is a one of the traditional recipe from Karnataka . This tangy , spicy rice is most common during Mango Season, especially during Ugadi . Also to add on , any of the religious ceremony is incomplete with Chitranna or Puliyogare in Southern regions of Karnataka. Rice being our staple food ,one can find wide variety of Rice Recipes in Karnataka Cuisine and hence on my blog 🙂
As Mavinakayi Chitranna is quite famous in our region , each and every family has their own recipe . And this recipe is from my Mom’s kitchen . Chitranna basically means a tempered yellow rice , many varieties can be made. Most common are Nimbe Hannu masala Chitranna (Lemon Rice) , Mavinakayi Chitranna (Raw Mango Rice) , Easy Chitranna , Tomato Chitranna and Heralekai Chitranna (Citron Lime Rice) . Though it’s all about tempering the cooked rice , main ingredients and methods varies from each recipe.
To make this traditional raw mango rice ,initially roast spices till fragrant and then ground to a coarse paste. Tempered and cooked with grated raw mango to get Mavinakayi Gojju ( Raw Mango Masala Paste ) . Later cooked rice is mixed with Mavinakayi Gojju | Masala Paste . Depending on one’s taste , level of sourness and spice , mango masala paste is mixed with cooked rice and served.
In this Raw Mango Rice , I have used garlic . Though it adds lots of taste to mango rice , you can skip if you don’t use garlic. If you plan to store this Raw Mango Masala Paste | Mavinakayi Gojju , then cook well and store in a dry glass jar . It stays good for about 15 days , when refrigerated.
RECIPE CARD FOR MAVINAKAYI CHITRANNA | RAW MANGO RICE :
Mavinakayi Chitranna | Raw Mango Rice
For Masala Paste
- 8 no's Dry Red Chilli ,dry roasted
- 10 no's Methi / Fenugreek seeds , dry roasted
- 1/2 Tsp Jeera Seeds ,dry roasted
- 1/3 cup Fresh Coconut
- 4-5 no's Garlic Cloves,medium size
- 3 no's Green Chilli
- 2 no's Cloves
- 1/2" inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 Tbsp Ground nuts
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- 2 no's Dry Red Chillies , Broken
- 1/2 Tbsp Chana Dal / Bengal Gram
- 1 Tbsp Urad Dal
- 1 Cup Raw Mango , grated
- 5 Cups Cooked Rice
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 21/2 -3 Tsp Salt or as required
For Masala Paste
- Dry roast dry red chillies , fenugreek seeds , cloves, cinnamon stick and jeera seeds. Allow it to cool.
- In a blender , add 1/3 cup of fresh grated coconut , green chillies , garlic , roasted spices and 1/4 Tsp turmeric powder.
- Blend to a coarse paste without adding water.
- Heat 3-4 Tbsp of cooking oil in a deep pan/kadai.
- Add 1/2 Tsp mustard seeds, allow it to crackle . Then add groundnuts , bengal gram and urad dal . Fry well , till it turns brown.
- Add Curry leaves and dried red chillies , fry well.
- Now add in ground masala paste and fry well.
- Add 1 cup of grated raw mango and saute well .Add 1 Tsp of salt and mix.
- Continue to cook till oil releases from corners.
- Now add in cooked rice and mix well. Turn off the stove
- Add in chopped coriander leaves , salt 1 1/2 -2 tsp ( refer notes) and mix well with the rice and serve.
- As sourness of mango varies , keep a check on masala paste before mixing with rice.
- Before adding the rice , remove 1/4 -1/3 cup of prepared masala paste (mavinakayi gojju ) and set aside. After mixing rice with remaining masala , check the taste and add the masala paste accordingly.
- Note salt is added while cooking Masala paste as well as while mixing with rice at final step.
- Also if you are serving it later , then do check the salt and tang in rice as it will absorb the flavours and may tend to taste mild. So it’s necessary to check before serving and adjust salt and masala paste as needed.
Step by Step Directions for making Raw Mango Rice:
Dry roast dry red chillies , fenugreek seeds , cloves, cinnamon stick and jeera seeds. Allow it to cool.
In a blender , add 1/3 cup of fresh grated coconut , green chillies , garlic , roasted spices and 1/4 Tsp turmeric powder.
Blend to a coarse paste without adding water.
Heat 3-4 Tbsp of cooking oil in a deep pan/kadai.
Add 1/2 Tsp mustard seeds, allow it to crackle . Then add groundnuts , bengal gram and urad dal . Fry well , till it turns brown.
Add Curry leaves and dried red chillies , fry well.
Now add in ground masala paste and fry well.
Add 1 cup of grated raw mango and saute well . Add 1 Tsp of salt and mix.
Continue to cook till oil releases from corners.
Now add in cooked rice and mix well. Turn off the stove .
Add in chopped coriander leaves , add salt 1 1/2 -2 tsp,adjust accordingly , mix well with rice.
Ready to Serve