Tomato Bath Recipe with step by step photos. Tomato Bath is a most popular recipe from Karnataka . “Bath” means rice in Marathi and In Kannada it means a kind of variety rice. As name says, lots of Tomato is needed to make this Tomato Bath . You can even refer this to as “Tomato Pulao ” . For any bath preparation , basically fresh grated coconut is used but if it is not available , feel free to use coconut milk for similar kind of enhanced taste.
There are many versions of tomato bath. I have tried and tested many versions too but this modified version of tomato bath is the best , which I always opt for. May be because it is my Mom’s recipe and everyone just loves this as , I do. What makes this tomato bath/pulao different from other tomato rice is the use fenugreek/methi leaves which adds more taste and flavor to tomato bath. And also the fresh masala paste , enhances taste of this rice. Serve Tomato Bath with onion raita or potato raita.
It’s one of the best lunch box recipe that can be packed . Other Karnataka special rice varieties recipes which I have shared are Hesaru Bele anna , Puliyogare , Mavinakayi Chitranna , Masala Chitranna , Heralekai Chitranna , Easy Chitranna, Gojjavalakki , Sihi Avalakki, Khara Pongal and Sihi Pongal
The word- recipe ” bath ” has lot of affinity for Mysorians and me being one among them. It’s not unusual to see these bath recipes in functions and marriages in and around Mysuru , it is that popular. I would like to highlight few more bath recipes from my space , if interested , you can find other Rice Varieties here.
- Capsicum bath Recipe | Vangibath mock recipe
- Vegetable bath Recipe
- Bisi bele Bath Recipe
- Avarekalu Bath Recipe
RECIPE CARD FOR TOMATO BATH | TOMATO PULAO
Tomato Bath Recipe | Easy Tomato Rice recipe in Pressure Cooker
- 1 1/2 Cup Rice - Jeera/Seeragam
- 2 Medium Onions - finely sliced
- 4 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Fresh Methi Leaves /Fenugreek Leaves
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Leaves - Chopped
- 2 Tsp Red Chilly Powder - or as required
- 1 Tsp Lime Juice
- 2 Tsp Salt - or as required
For Masala Paste
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Coconut - grated
- 1/2 Tsp Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- 1 Green Cardamom Seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1.5" inch Ginger
- 8 Garlic cloves - medium
- 4 Cloves
- 1.5 " inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes,drain water and keep it aside.
- In a Pressure Cooker,heat 1 Tbsp Ghee and 3 Tbsp Oil.
- Add Sliced onions and fry well till lightly brown. Add cleaned and washed chopped methi leaves,fry well till water content in methi dries up.
- In a mixer jar, add all the ingredients listed under "Masala Paste" and ground to a smooth fine paste ,add little water if required.
- Add masala paste to above fried onion and methi,fry till oil starts releasing from the corners.
- Add chopped tomatoes and 1/2 tsp of salt and saute till tomatoes are cooked.
- Add red chilli powder and fry well till oil starts releasing from the corners.
- Add drained rice ,mix well .
- Add 2.5 cups of hot water and salt.Close the lid and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Once pressure releases on its own, open the lid.Mix well everything,add chopped coriander leaves,1/2 Tbsp ghee and lime juice.
- Mix well everything and serve along with Onion raita.
Step By Step Directions to make Tomato Bath :
Soak rice for 10-15 minutes.Drain and keep it aside.
Grind all the ingredients,listed under Masala Paste to a smooth paste, if required add very little water. Take a pressure pan/ cooker and heat 3 Tbsp oil, and 1 Tbsp Ghee.Add onions and fry till it looks pink,add methi leaves fry till water content disappears.
Add the above grounded masala paste and fry well for 2-3 minutes till you get nice aroma then add finely chopped tomatoes saute for a minute and add red chilly powder saute on a medium heat till tomatoes are nicely cooked and oil leaves the corner. Now add rice and mix well and saute for 3 minutes.
Once pressure is released, add ghee,lemon juice,coriander leaves and mix well. Serve with onion raita or potato raita.