RECIPE CARD FOR BISI BELE BATH | LENTIL RICE – KARNATAKA STYLE
Bisi Bele Bath Recipe | Hot Lentil Rice -Karnataka Style
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 1/2 Cup Toor Dal
- 1/4 Cup Dry Green Peas
- 5 Cups Water refer notes
- 1 Carrot large cut into chunks
- 2 Capsicum large cut into chunks
- 6 Green french beans
- 2 Potatoes Medium cut into chunks
- 2 Tomatoes large ,chopped
- 2 Tbsp Tamarind Juice
- 3/4 Tsp Jaggery powder
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 2 Tsp salt or as required
For Bisibelebath Powder
Dry Roast Powder
- 1 Tbsp Channa Dal
- 1 Tbsp Urad Dal
- 1 Tsp Kuskus / Poppy seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Methi/Fenugreek Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Jeera seeds /Cumin Seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 1 " inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Marathi Moggu
For Blending with dry roast powder
- 1 1/4 Tbsp Redchilly Powder refer notes
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 cup Dry Coconut
- 2 Tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Cashews
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 2 Sprigs Curry leaves
- 2 Dry Red Chilly broken to pieces
- 1 Onion Chopped or Onion shallots 1/4 cup optional
- Wash and soak dry green peas in water for 5-6 hrs or overnight. Drain water and keep it aside.
- Wash and rinse toor dal and rice together twice.
- Soak tamarind in 1/2cup warm water and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker ,add washed dal, rice and soaked green peas.
- Add all the cut vegetable chunks,1/4 cup oil, 5 cups water and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Meanwhile ,dry roast all the ingredients listed under " dry roast" ,one by one in order ,till you get nice aroma,Don't Brown any Spices
- Once it's cool down, in a dry mixer grinder make a coarse powder.
- Add Red Chilli powder, Coriander powder,turmeric powder and dry coconut to the above coarse powder and blend it together.
- Extract the tamarind pulp juice ,strain it through sieve and discard the residue.
- Mix the above blend powder with tamarind juice and make a paste of it.
- Once the pressure releases on its own, add the above prepared paste, salt ,jaggery powder and 1/4 cup oil and cook on very low flame by stirring from the bottom,till it starts to thicken.
- Prepare tempering,heat 2 Tbsp ghee, add mustard seeds, cashews ,curry leaves, broken red chilly pieces,chopped onions ,fry well and add hing.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared Bisibelebath.
- Serve hot topped with Boondi and ghee.
- Add 5 cups of water initially,if you find it thick then add 1/2 to 1 cup hot water .
- I use Everest Tikhalal , 1 1/4 Tbsp is perfect for this recipe as it will be bit spicier ,if you eat less spice use 1 Tbsp only.
- Orelse you can use 2 byadgi red chillies + 4 Guntur red chillies , dry roast along with 1.5 Tbsp of Coriander seeds and blend everything together.
- While serving , along with boondi add some ghee roasted peanuts and dry coconut slices for extra delicious touch.
Step By Step Directions:
Soak dry geen peas overnight(6 hrs) . Soak Tamarind in warm water and extract juice out of it a set aside.Wash and soak rice,daal for 10 minutes.
Take a pressure cooker, add rice,daal,peas and all cut vegetables.Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder,1/4 cup oil ,11/2 Tsp salt , 5 1/2 Cup of Water and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
Roast all the ingredients under dry roast powder with a drop of oil.Blend it in a mixer.
To this add redchilly powder,haldi,coriander powder,dry coconut and blend it again.
Add this powder,jaggery to tamarind juice and mix well with little water to make a paste.
By now pressure will be released from pressure cooker,if not release it manually and add this tamarind paste,1/4 cup oil,salt to taste.Mix well and cook on slow flame for 5 minutes.
Temper all the ingredients under tempering one by one in order and pour over the rice.
Mix well and serve hot topped with ghee, khara boondi / potato chips.