RECIPE CARD FOR BISI BELE BATH | LENTIL RICE – KARNATAKA STYLE
Karnataka Delicacy Bisibele bath is spicy, hot and sour one pot meal prepared with Toor Daal ,Rice and Veggies.
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 1/2 Cup Toor Dal
- 1/4 Cup Dry Green Peas
- 5 Cups Water refer notes
- 1 Carrot large cut into chunks
- 2 Capsicum large cut into chunks
- 6 Green french beans
- 2 Potatoes Medium cut into chunks
- 2 Tomatoes large ,chopped
- 2 Tbsp Tamarind Juice
- 3/4 Tsp Jaggery powder
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 2 Tsp salt or as required
- 1 Tbsp Channa Dal
- 1 Tbsp Urad Dal
- 1 Tsp Kuskus / Poppy seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Methi/Fenugreek Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Jeera seeds /Cumin Seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 1 " inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Marathi Moggu
- 1 1/4 Tbsp Redchilly Powder refer notes
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 cup Dry Coconut
- 2 Tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Cashews
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 2 Sprigs Curry leaves
- 2 Dry Red Chilly broken to pieces
- 1 Onion Chopped or Onion shallots 1/4 cup optional
Wash and soak dry green peas in water for 5-6 hrs or overnight. Drain water and keep it aside.
Wash and rinse toor dal and rice together twice.
Soak tamarind in 1/2cup warm water and keep aside.
In a pressure cooker ,add washed dal, rice and soaked green peas.
Add all the cut vegetable chunks,1/4 cup oil, 5 cups water and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
Meanwhile ,dry roast all the ingredients listed under " dry roast" ,one by one in order ,till you get nice aroma,Don't Brown any Spices
Once it's cool down, in a dry mixer grinder make a coarse powder.
Add Red Chilli powder, Coriander powder,turmeric powder and dry coconut to the above coarse powder and blend it together.
Extract the tamarind pulp juice ,strain it through sieve and discard the residue.
Mix the above blend powder with tamarind juice and make a paste of it.
Once the pressure releases on its own, add the above prepared paste, salt ,jaggery powder and 1/4 cup oil and cook on very low flame by stirring from the bottom,till it starts to thicken.
Prepare tempering,heat 2 Tbsp ghee, add mustard seeds, cashews ,curry leaves, broken red chilly pieces,chopped onions ,fry well and add hing.
Pour the tempering over the prepared Bisibelebath.
Serve hot topped with Boondi and ghee.
- Add 5 cups of water initially,if you find it thick then add 1/2 to 1 cup hot water .
- I use Everest Tikhalal , 1 1/4 Tbsp is perfect for this recipe as it will be bit spicier ,if you eat less spice use 1 Tbsp only.
- Orelse you can use 2 byadgi red chillies + 4 Guntur red chillies , dry roast along with 1.5 Tbsp of Coriander seeds and blend everything together.
- While serving , along with boondi add some ghee roasted peanuts and dry coconut slices for extra delicious touch.
Step By Step Directions:
Soak dry geen peas overnight(6 hrs) . Soak Tamarind in warm water and extract juice out of it a set aside.Wash and soak rice,daal for 10 minutes.
Take a pressure cooker, add rice,daal,peas and all cut vegetables.Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder,1/4 cup oil ,11/2 Tsp salt , 5 1/2 Cup of Water and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
Roast all the ingredients under dry roast powder with a drop of oil.Blend it in a mixer.
To this add redchilly powder,haldi,coriander powder,dry coconut and blend it again.
Add this powder,jaggery to tamarind juice and mix well with little water to make a paste.
By now pressure will be released from pressure cooker,if not release it manually and add this tamarind paste,1/4 cup oil,salt to taste.Mix well and cook on slow flame for 5 minutes.
Temper all the ingredients under tempering one by one in order and pour over the rice.
Mix well and serve hot topped with ghee, khara boondi / potato chips.