Sabudana Upvas Chivda Recipe with step by step photos and video. Sabudana Upvas Chivda is a crunchy and tasty snack to munch during fasting , as it is full of carbohydrates and gives instant energy.
Other Sabudan recipes which I often make at home during fasting are : Sabudana Khichdi , Sabudana Thalipeeth , Sabudana Vada and Sabudana Kheer ,
About this recipe
Sabudana is one of the most fond food during fasting as it is full of carbohydrates and gives energy instantly. As Navratri is on ,this easy and tasty fasting snack comes handy to munch during the day .
If you are planning to make Sabudana chivda for a fasting day then you need to add only chilli powder , rock salt , oil or ghee for deep frying and some dry fruits and nuts of your choices.
But if its for any regular day as a namkeen to munch for a evening coffee/ tea then you can include other ingredients like turmeric powder , hing , curry leaves , dry red chilli and garlic .
Checkout the Video !
To make Sabudana Chivda minimal ingredients are used :
- Nylon Sabudana ( Small Varient )
- Spices : Chilli powder and Rock Salt
- Dry Fruits and Nuts of your choice
- Oil for deep frying
Pro Tips and Variations
- There are 2 variants of Nylon Sabudana , small and large variant . I have used smaller variant to make this chivda. But you can use larger variant also.
- Cooking time of smaller variant is very less when compared with larger ones . If you are choosing larger variant then make sure to cook for 4 -5 minutes more as it takes more time to cook. Also check the doneness of the cooked sabudana by tasting it. If not cooked properly then centre of the sabudana will be hard.
- Frying : Make sure to fry on medium heat and stir it in between using a spoon or spatula . Use a strainer to deep fry sabudana. Also depending on the size of the strainer add small amount of sabudana pearls for frying because it crowds after frying.
- For Non Fasting Day : If not on fasting , you can also add cumin seeds , curry leaves , garlic , turmeric powder and more to suit your taste.
Sabudana Upvas Chivda
- Deep Pan / Kadai for frying
- ⅓ cup Nylon Sabudana small
- 10-12 no's Raisins
- 10-15 no's Cashews halved
- 10 no's Badam , halved
- 2 tablespoon Dry Coconut slices
- ½ teaspoon Rock Salt / Sendha Namak
- ½ - ¾ teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- Oil for deep frying
- Heat oil in a deep kadai for frying.
- Add ⅓ cup of nylon sabudana into a strainer and dip inside the oil.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes , stir pearls using spoon or a spatula to make sure even cooking.
- Transfer the fried sabudana on a kitchen towel.
- In the same oil , using strainer deep fry raisins , cashews and almonds one after other and set aside.
- Add coconut slices and fry till golden brown and set aside.
- Place everything in a deep bowl.
- Add salt , red chilli powder and sugar .
- Mix well everything and serve. Once cooled , store it in a airtight container and use it as required.
Step by Steps for making Sabudana Upvas Chivda :
Heat oil in a deep kadai for frying.
Add ⅓ cup of nylon sabudana into a strainer and dip inside the oil.
Cook for 3-4 minutes , stir pearls using spoon or a spatula to make sure even cooking.
Transfer the fried sabudana on a kitchen towel.
In the same oil , using strainer deep fry raisins , cashews and almonds one after other and set aside.
Add coconut slices and fry till golden brown and set aside.
Place everything in a deep bowl.
Add salt , red chilli powder and sugar .
Mix well everything and serve.
Once cooled , store it in a airtight container and use it as required.
Leave a Reply