Sabudana Vada is a very popular snack during fasting .Soaked Sabudana is mixed with boiled potatoes , roasted peanuts, spices and baked or deep fried to make this tasty fasting snack.
Sabudana /tapioca is loaded with carbohydrates hence it energises you within few minutes,so is the reason for using Sabudana during fasting.Sabudana/Pearl Sago/Tapioca Pearls are made from starch extracted from tapioca roots and then processed to give pearl like structure.
Sabudana contains very large quantity of starch with low amounts of vitamins, minerals, calcium,iron and fiber . However lack of these nutrients are made up by adding veggies,peanuts ,milk and ghee to create myriad of lip smacking dishes, one of it is Sabudana Khichdi .
I have tasted authentic Sabudana Vada in many of my Maharastrian friend’s house and also in many food joints in Pune, though it tastes extremely good but I felt it drinks more oil while frying. So I tried baking these pearls and believe me , it turned out to be perfect Sabudana Vada without compromising in taste and with an added advantage of using minimal oil.I even tried shallow frying the vadas….,it came out well.
But as always i liked baked one much better than shallow frying, though there was no much change in the taste . I felt little oiliness in shallow fried vadas as compared with baked ones. As I loved baked vadas, I’m posting the recipe of Baked Sabudana Vada. If you prefer shallow fry or deep fry you can go ahead with it instead of baking.
Sabudana Vada are served with plain curds or sweet curds.
RECIPE CARD FOR SABUDANA VADA
Baked Sabudana Vada Recipe | Easy Baked Sago Fritters Recipe
Pearl Tapioca mixed with potatoes ,peanuts, spices and baked to perfection
Servings: 25 Makes
- 1 1/2 Cup Sabudana/Pearl Tapioca
- 4 Potato medium size
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts
- 1 Tsp Ginger grated
- 1 Tsp Jeera /Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 3 Green chillies chopped or as required
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 1/2 Tsp Powdered Rock Salt / Sendha Namak or as required
- 2 Tsp Oil
- Wash sago in running water for 3-4 times. Soak in 2 1/2 cup of water for 5-6 hrs.
- After 5 hours,drain water completely from Sabudana and keep it in a colander bowl,so that water drains away completely,if any.
- Boil Potatoes,in a pressure cooker for 2-3 whistles.
- Peel potato skin and mash the potatoes completely.
- Dry roast peanuts on an iron skillet ,till skin starts peeling.Allow to cool completely.
- Take peanuts in a mixer jar ,coarse powder it using pulse mode for 10 seconds.
- In a mixing bowl,add sabudana ,potato,cumin seeds,salt,grated ginger,green chillies, coriander leaves,lemon juice,1 Tsp of oil and mix everything very well.
- Take small portion of mixture ,make it round using hands and press it lightly to form a shape of flat round vada or patties.
- Preheat the oven to 220 deg celsius.
- Grease the baking tray with oil ,and place the vada and brush the top of vad with oil.
- Once preheated , Bake it for 20 minutes. In between, around 15 minutes flip the vada to other side and again continue baking.
- Now Place the oven in grill mode and grill it for about 4-5 minutes till the top turns nice golden in colour.
1.You can add 2 Tbsp of kuttu ka atta (buckwheat flour ) or rajgira atta (amaranth flour) ,if you are deep frying the vada's .It gives nice colour .Though its completely optional 2.No need to add Oil while mixing , if you are not Baking.
Step By Step Directions on making of Sabudana Vada:
Wash sago thoroughly and soak in 1 3/4 cup of water for about 5 hrs or overnight. Drain water completely and keep it aside.
Pressure cook potatoes,peel skin and mash potatoes and keep aside.
On a iron skillet,dry roast peanuts evenly.Allow it to cool.
In a dry mixer ground peanuts to coarse powder.
In a mixing bowl or large plate, add potatoes, peanut powder, chopped green chillies, coriander leaves, lemon juice,1 tbsp oil, jeera seeds ,grated ginger and salt to taste.
Mix everything very well ,gently press from your palm and shape into patties.
Divide the mixture into 24 -25 equal size patties, grease the baking tray .
Preheat oven to 220 deg C .
Grease the oven tray with oil,arrange patties brush oil over each patties.
Bake for 20 minutes,in between around timer of oven shows to 5 minutes ,remove baking tray flip the patties and put it back to oven to continue baking.
Then grill for 4-5 minutes to get that golden colour on top.
Yummy and delicious Baked sabudana vadas will be ready to serve along with curds 😉
(Visited 1,933 times, 2 visits today)