Chicken Sukka basically means dry chicken preparation made with fresh grated coconut. A special blend of roasted spices is used to prepare this delicious chicken dish. Mangalore style Chicken Sukka is very popular and can be seen on many restaurants menu. As coconut trees are abundantly seen in coastal region, most of their dishes contain fresh coconut.
Coconuts have slowly become a versatile food commodity, and are being used in everything from our daily cuisine to our beauty regimens. Few years before, humble coconuts were tagged has bad boy with a bad reputation as cholesterol packed food that contributed to heart disease and being an artery clogging. Today however, the coconut has made a huge comeback as a miracle food. Coconuts are highly nutritious, rich in fiber , and packed with essential vitamins , minerals and good cholesterol. From culinary creations to magic beauty potions, coconuts pack a good punch.
About this recipe : While I was doing my post graduation, Samatha was my roommate and she was from Mangalore .She used to prepare this Chicken Sukka in our room whenever she got a chance to cook .This recipe is from my friend ,simple and easy to cook ,tastes good too. I had noted down the recipe in a small pocket diary . Last time when I had been to my hometown , I found a book lying somewhere above the cupboard and started going through that......,my goodness found so many funny, good and stupid things out of which one best thing was this recipe .
RECIPE CARD FOR CHICKEN SUKKA - MANGALORE STYLE
- 800 grams Chicken , curry cut pieces , skinout
- 2 no's Onion large ,finely chopped
- 1 no Tomato , medium finely chopped
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 7-8 no Garlic cloves , finely chopped
- ½ Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 Tbsp Freshly Grated Coconut
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 Tsp Salt or as required
Roast and Blend
- 6 no Guntur / Kashmiri Dry Red chilli
- 2 no Byadgi Dry Red Chilli
- 1 ½ Tsp Coriander Seeds
- 12 no Garlic Cloves , Peeled
- 4-5 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- ¼ Tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methi Seeds
- ½ Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp Cummin Seeds
- ¾ Tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 pieces Cinnamon 1" inch ,each
- 4 no Cloves
- ¼ Tsp Black Peppercorns
- Dry roast all the ingredients under the list "Roast and Blend" with ½ Tsp of oil to a coarse powder.
- Take a pan/kadai ,heat 2 Tbsp of oil ,add chopped garlic,onion,curry leaves and fry well till raw smell goes off.
- Now add tomato,red chilli powder,turmeric and salt,fry well.
- For this add chicken ,saute well for 5 minutes,close the lid and allow it to cook in its own juices.
- After 15-20 minutes open the lid,check whether chicken is cooked,if done, continue to cook on high heat for 5 minutes , till water gets dried upto 70 % .
- Now lower the flame and add grounded powder and fresh coconut mix well and keep it in simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Step by Step Directions on Making of Chicken Sukka :
Dry roast all the ingredients under the list "Roast and Ground" with ½ Tsp of oil to a coarse powder.
Take a pan, heat 2 Tbsp of oil ,add chopped garlic,onion,curry leaves and fry well till raw smell goes off.
Now add tomato,red chilli powder,turmeric and salt,mix well.
For this add chicken ,saute well for 5 minutes,close the lid and allow it to cook . After 15-20 minutes open the lid, check whether chicken is cooked. Chicken gets cooked with its own juices. Once its cooked ,keep the flame high and continue to cook till water gets dried upto 70 %.