Chicken Sukka basically means dry chicken preparation made with fresh grated coconut. Freshly roasted spices are pound together and used in this recipe to make a delicious chicken dish.
Mangalore style Chicken Sukka is very popular and can be seen on many restaurants menu. As coconut trees are abundantly seen in coastal region, most of their dishes contain fresh coconut.
About this recipe
Chciken Sukka is a dry chicken dish , It's spicy , aromatic and flavourful. As this recipe style belongs to Mangalore , Coastal regions of Karnataka ,Coconut is important ingredient in most of the Mangalore dishes.
This Chicken Sukka recipe is tasty , simple and is flavourful .
Coconuts have slowly become a versatile food commodity, and are being used in everything from our daily cuisine to our beauty regimens.
Today however, the coconut has made a huge comeback as a miracle food. Coconuts are highly nutritious, rich in fiber , and packed with essential vitamins , minerals and good cholesterol. From culinary creations to magic beauty potions, coconuts pack a good punch.
How to make Chicken Sukka
In a pan on low heat , dry roast all the ingredients one by one and blend to a coarse powder.
In a pan , heat 2 tablespoon coconut Oil , add curry leaves , garlic and onions. Saute until onions changes colour to translucent.
Add tomatoes and saute for another few minutes, until it turns slightly mushy.
Now add in Chicken , salt , turmeric and red chilli powder. Mix well everything and cook until chicken changes colour from pink to white.
Once chicken looks pale white in colour, cover lid and cook chicken till done.
Open lif after 10 minutes and check , if it's cooked well. Once cooked , continue to cook chicken until water content dries up to 70 %.
Now add in fresh ccoconut, freshly ground spice blend and coriander leaves.
Mix well everything and serve as a side dish along with rice and curry along with onion slices and lime wedges.
- 750 grams Chicken , curry cut pieces , skinout
- 2 no's Onion large ,finely chopped
- 1 no Tomato , medium finely chopped
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon Garlic cloves , finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Ginger ,optional
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 3 tablespoon Freshly Grated Coconut
- 2 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt or as required
Roast and Blend
- 6 no Guntur / Kashmiri Dry Red chilli
- 2 no Byadgi Dry Red Chilli
- 1.5 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 1.5 tablespoon Garlic chopped
- 4-5 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- ¼ teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds / Methi Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ¾ teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 2 pieces Cinnamon 1" inch ,each
- 6 no Cloves
- ¼ teaspoon Black Peppercorns
- Dry roast all the ingredients under the list "Roast and Blend" with ½ teaspoon of oil to a coarse powder.
- Take a pan/kadai ,heat 2 tablespoon of oil ,add chopped garlic,onion,curry leaves and fry well till raw smell goes off.
- Now add tomato,red chilli powder,turmeric and salt,fry well.
- For this add chicken ,saute well for 5 minutes,close the lid and allow it to cook in its own juices.
- After 15-20 minutes open the lid,check whether chicken is cooked,if done, continue to cook on high heat for 5 minutes , till water gets dried upto 70 % .
- Now lower the flame and add grounded powder and fresh coconut mix well and keep it in simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.