Dumroot | Kashi Halwa | Ash gourd Halwa recipe with short video and step by step pictures. Kashi halwa is one of the classic and traditional dessert of Karnataka. It’s one of the most popular dessert in marriages and house warming ceremonies. Traditionally it is made with only ash gourd , ghee and sugar with cardamom flavouring. But to enhance the taste and richness of the dessert khoya and milk are also added at times. Here in this recipe , I have added very little amount of milk and khoya . But you can skip it ,in case if you want to increase the shelf life of the dessert.
Though making ash gourd halwa is easier a friend of mine requested for this particular recipe with a note asking for a rich and tasty dessert . Hence a extra addition of khoya here or else I generally cook with only milk. Unlike other halwa , there is slight slight procedural variations while cooking this halwa. Grated ash gourd is cooked in milk and Ghee/clarified butter. Then its mixed with khoya to get that richness to the dessert. Sugar is added at the final step and mixed well to get that glossy finish .
Did you know , Ash Gourd has tremendous health benefits. Gourd family vegetables are always on top notch for weight loss . Also its juice is used as a home remedy to combat acidity and keep indigestion at bay.
Every life has its own ups and down , people do suffer from various kind of mental illness. For a healthy body physical , mental and emotional health are equally important. Exercises , Meditation , Eating right and doing what you love are few of the basic ways to maintain good health. On such note , Ash Gourd always comes to me on priority. It acts as a natural sedative and calms nerves and brain. Also drinking Ash gourd juice regularly helps to deal with insomnia. With my own experience , I would suggest to include this as much as possible in your diet to bring down your anxiety levels and maintain a healthy mind.
As I have a sweet tooth , naturally my mind calms down when I eat sweet . but with dumroot it’s definitely yes. Though Ash gourd is healthy don’t regularly eat in the form of dessert like this with loaded sugar 🙂 🙂 . But once in a while , during feast and special occasions , it’s absolutely fine to indulge in such a delicious melt in mouth dessert to treat ourselves.
Other halwa recipe which you may like are :
In case if you are looking for No Sugar or Jaggery based desserts , then do check these delicious recipes :
- Dates Kheer
- Carrot Millet Kheer
- Wheat Coconut Milk Pudding (Halbai)
- Dates & Fig Roll
- Moongdal Kaskas Payasam
RECIPE CARD FOR DUMROOT | KASHI HALWA | ASH GOURD HALWA RECIPE
dumroot | kashi halwa | Ash gourd halwa recipe
- 500 grams Ash gourd grated / 3 cups
- 1/4 cup Milk refer notes
- 1/3 cup Khoya grated refer notes
- 1/4 cup Ghee / Clarified butter
- 3/4 cup Sugar or as required
- 10 no Cashews broken /halved
- 4-5 no Green Cardamom ,remove husk and powder
- Saffron ,few strands ,optional
- Heat 2 Tbsp of ghee in a heavy bottom pan .
- Add grated ash gourd and mix well and cook on a medium heat.
- Once water content dries up , add milk and continue to cook .
- When ash gourd is completely cooked , add in grated khoya .
- Mix well everything so that khoya blends well with ash gourd.
- Make some place at the centre and add in 2 Tbsp of Ghee.
- Add cashew pieces at the centre and fry in ghee till it looks golden in colour. Alternatively you can roast cashews separately and add it the halwa at last.
- Mix everything and add in sugar .
- Stir everything such that sugar melts completely and starts to bubble.
- Once it starts to get halwa consistency ,turn off the flame.
- Add cardamom powder , saffron strands and a tsp of ghee.
- Mix well together and serve. It can be served either warm or cold.
- Adding Milk and Khoya is truly optional ,adding it enhances the taste and give richness to the dessert.
- Also you can skip either khoya/milk or any one .
- If skipping milk or khoya ,then increase sugar by 1 or 2 Tbsp depending on your taste.
Step by Step direction for making Dumroot | Kashi Halwa | Ash Gourd Halwa Recipe:
Heat 2 Tbsp of ghee in a heavy bottom pan .
Add grated ash gourd .
Mix well and cook on a medium heat.
Once water content dries up , add milk and continue to cook .
When ash gourd is completely cooked , add in grated khoya .
Mix well everything so that khoya blends well with ash gourd. Now add in 2 Tbsp of Ghee at the centre and add cashews .
Fry cashew pieces in ghee till it turns lightly golden in colour . Alternatively you can roast cashews separately and add it to the halwa at last.
Mix well everything and add in sugar .
Stir everything, sugar melts completely and starts to bubble. Once it starts to get halwa consistency , turn off the flame.
Add cardamom powder , saffron strands and a tsp of ghee.
Mix well together and serve. It can be served either warm or cold.