Saunf Sharbat recipe with step by step photos and video. Variyali sharbat aka Saunf sharbat is a refreshing summer cool drink with aromatic flavors of fennel seeds.
Apart from being a super summer cooler drink , saunf drink has host of health benefits. Saunf seeds are best known for its cooling properties and also relieves bloating / gas issues.
Few more summer cooler recipe includes Bael sharbat , Virgin Mojito with flavors , Breakfast Pomegranate Juice , Aam Panna and Sattu Sharbat.
Lets quickly see on how to make this tasty and nutritious drink .
About this recipe
Variyali Sharbat is a traditional summer cooling drink from Gujarat for hot sunny days. Saunf sharbat requires minimal
Saunf sharbat requires minimum ingredients and procedure. Making saunf sherbat is quite easy , all you need is to soak fennel seeds or its powder overnight in a clay pot along with black dry grapes and rock sugar / candy sugar . Next day ,mash black dry grapes well and extract juice. Mix well everything . Add lime juice , roasted cumin powder and black powder to taste , if required .
Alternatively , fennel seeds can also be soaked for 6+ hours or overnight and then juiced up together with soaked dry black grapes and served.
This saunf sharbat recipe post shares a readymade saunf and sugar powder mixture recipe that is used to prepare variyali sharbat.
How to make Saunf Sharbat Syrup
Also large batch of variyali sharbat syrup can be made and stored for further use. To make saunf sharbat syrup , soak fennel seeds and cardamom pods for 6+ hours. Grind well with little water and extract juice. Boil fennel seeds juice along with sugar until it reaches 1 thread consistency . Allow it cool completely before storing in a clean glass jar
Watch recipe video
Health benefits of saunf
Saunf seeds are very rich in cooling properties. The best way to get all the benefits of fennel seeds is by steeping them for few hours or overnight. Also its a regular practice in India , munching a teaspoon of saunf after every meal is advisable for better digestion.
- Fennel seeds are highly nutritious and provides important nutrients, such as vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and manganese.
- These seeds are very effective in weight loss as it helps to reduce appetite.
- Fennel and its seeds contain fiber, potassium, magnesium, and calcium — all of which are essential for good heart health.
- Increase milk secretion in breastfeeding mothers.
- Powerful antioxidants in fennel, such as vitamin C and quercetin, can help reduce inflammation and has also has good antibacterial properties.
- Fennels relieve hot flashes, vaginal itching, dryness , sleep disturbances and improves sexual function. Helps to reduces menstrual pain , cramps and mood swings during menstruation.
- Improves digestion, reduces bloating , gases and relieves constipation.
Fennel Seeds : is the main ingredient in this recipe. Badishep or bigger variety saunf is used to make this tasty drink . Either saunf seeds can be soaked directly in water or its powder can be used.
Sugar : Mishri or candy sugar / rock sugar is used here . Incase if its not available , regular sugar can be used. Alternatively , you can use jaggery or honey as a sweetener.
Dry Black Grapes : its added to increase the cooling properties of the drink. As sweetness increases with addition of black grapes , keep a check on amount of sugar added in the drink.
Cardamom : 5 -6 cardamom pods are used in this recipe. A very light hint of cardamom flavor can be sensed as aromatic essence of saunf is overpowering. But adding cardamom also increases its cooling properties.
Lemon Juice : This adds tang to the drink making it extra refreshing to beat the summer heat.
Other Ingredients : Cumin powder and black salt are truly optional . Its my choice to add pinch of cumin powder and black salt as it enhances the taste.
Variyali Doodh : As a variation to this recipe you can mix this powder with milk and serve it warm or chilled.
Other Variations : Can also add some basil seeds/ falooda seeds and enjoy this drink for extra cooling effect.
Step by step directions to make saunf sharbat
Firstly, take equal quantity of fennel seeds and candy sugar, add cardamom pods n a mixer
and blend everything to a fine powder. Saunf sugar powder stays good for months, you can store in air tight glass jar and set aside.
Secondly, soak this saunf powder in 3.5 cups of water for 6 + hours or overnight in a clay pot.
Now soak 8 dry black grapes in the same clay pot. Alternatively, you can soak separately.
Add about 3.5 cups of water and soak for about 6 + hours
Add water , let it soak for about 6 or more hours
After 6 hours or following day, stir well everything. Now strain juice with help of a strainer or a muslin cloth.
Squeeze collected fennel powder residue and dry black grapes to extract all juices completely. Add ½ cup water, mash or blend everything together to extract all juices.
Add 1.5 tablespoon of lime juice, ¼ teaspoon black salt and ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder.
Mix well everything, add some mint leaves, ice cubes and serve chilled.
Saunf sharbat recipe | Variyali sharbat
For Saunf Sugar Powder
- ¼ Cup Saunf/ Fennel Seeds
- ¼ Cup Mishri / Rock Sugar
- 5-6 Green Cardamom pods
To make Juice
- 4 tablespoon Saunf- Sugar powder
- 8 Dry Black grapes
- 4 Cup Water
- 1.5 tablespoon Lime juice - optional
- Black salt to taste - optional
- Roasted cumin powder to taste - optional
- Firstly, take equal quantity of fennel seeds and candy sugar, add cardamom pods and blend everything to a fine powder. Saunf sugar powder stays good for months, you can store in air tight glass jar and set aside.
- Secondly, soak this saunf powder in 3.5 cups of water for 6 + hours or overnight in a clay pot.
- Now soak 8 dry black grapes in the same clay pot. Alternatively, you can soak separately.
- After 6 hours or following day, stir well everything.
- Now strain juice with help of a strainer or a muslin cloth. Squeeze collected fennel powder residue and dry black grapes to extract all juices completely. Add ½ cup water, mash or blend everything together to extract all juices.
- Finally , add 1.5 tablespoon of lime juice, ¼ teaspoon black salt and ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder.
- Mix well everything, add some mint leaves, ice cubes and serve chilled.
Thank you , I'm glad you liked it.